News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Train Trestle........  (Read 30841 times)
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« on: August 02, 2003, 12:15:45 PM »

Well folks, it's finally going to happen.  They are going to spend about a week, starting on Monday night, Aug. 4, demolishing the train trestle used by Clint near the end of Dirty Harry.  It was recently struck and destabilized by a fool driving a crane underneath it.  Unfortunately for him and the trestle --and Dirty Harry fans everywhere -- the crane was about a foot too high to pass safely underneath.  The trestle was reinforced with several support beams by the Larkspur Public Works dept., but city engineers have now deemed it unrepairable and an "imminent danger to the public".   Here is an online version of the article from the  Marin Independent Journal .  Copy and Paste this:
                                                                                           marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,234~24407~1548485,00.html

I shot several rolls of film (both color and black & white) of the trestle many months ago, in anticipation of this finally happening (hey, somebody had to do it).   So, at least there will still be pictures of it available.     As well, I was thinking of having one my B&W shots done in sepiatone and perhaps offering it on the website for a nominal charge to cover the costs of reproducing it --if anyone is interested.  The trestle dates from the 1880's and was part of the old Northwest Pacific Railroad.

On another note, it now remains to be known if the part used by Clint in Dirty Harry can or will be salvaged by anyone.  If they could cut out the part and set it aside , I suppose someone could go down there and save it.   But then, what to do with it ??  Send it to Malpaso for posterity/ historical preservation??  Cut it up and auction off the pieces on EBay (or even this website) for charity ??  Or should anyone bother ??  I can look into it personally, if anyone expresses some interest.  But we have to act  fast --Time is running out.

-Blu  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 04:24:17 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 12:21:15 PM »

Yep, I'd buy a chunk of it!
I have a great picture of Clint standing on it, it would be nice to have a piece of it mounted within the frame.
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 08:21:18 PM »

Why not .

I would like to have some of it too .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 08:51:56 PM »

I'd love to have a piece of that!  8)
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 12:12:30 AM »

yep count me in to - i have a great pic of him on the trestle a bit of it would be awesome

england -  its flag the St George flag
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 08:33:07 AM »

I wouldnt having a piece Clint stood on, just so long as its not too exspensive.
Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 04:20:51 PM »

....O.K., that settles it.  Since I don't have to work tomorrow, I'll contact Public Works and see if they have any plans to save the upper deck portion (rail and ties) that Clint used.  I believe he was standing on the west side initially, and then jumped from the east side, but I suppose the west side would be more valuble.  It would take something to cut it up or haul it away, however.  It would also be good to have the pieces certified by public works.  But then, where would the money go ??  To the city of Larkspur ? To charity ?  If I know city hall, they would probably want any revenue recieved from any sale, but I believe the structure is actually owned by someone else. Possibly Golden Gate Transit.

I will talk to them tomorrow, and see what they plan to do with it.    8) 8) 8)

-Blu
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 04:23:13 PM by Blu » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 04:29:57 PM »

That's great, Blu!
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 05:02:07 PM »

8) Nice one Blu.
If all else fails, couldn't we all chip in for you to buy a chainsaw? ;)
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 07:27:52 PM »

Thanks Blu ,

Something decent like this has to happen.

That is a great scene from a great movie.

I would sooner have this than a gun that may or may not be the real thing.

Philo .

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 12:06:45 PM »

thanx blu

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 03:20:56 PM »

I talked to Public Works today.  They contacted the salvage company that will begin dismantling it tonight.(in 50 foot sections).  The guy I talked to said he/ they would keep in touch with me.   I suggested they mark or paint the piece of interest so as not to lose track of which one it is.  The ties may have a smell to them if they were treated with creosote or some other preservative like the pilings were, so I'm not sure if anyone would want those.  They would have to be stored outside if that is the case.   But the tracks should be O.K.
     If there is anyone at Malpaso who may be reading this,  I suppose the whole thing could be shipped down to Carmel or Hollywood.    I thought it might make an interesting conversation piece at the Mission Ranch or at the Hog's Breath Inn.  It's not too late to ask for it.  
Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

-Blu
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 03:23:54 PM by Blu » Logged

the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2003, 11:45:55 PM »

I wouldn't mind if they had a smell to it, authentic smell.. nothing wrong with that...
Blu, What do  they actually intend doing with these timbers?
Do you know their ultimate fate?
Do they intend trashing them?
If they were simply pulling it down, would they not burn :o it on site?
If no-one is actually going to be doing anything with them, why would anyone cause a fuss?
Or is this just a simple case of Red Tape?
Why can't life be so easy ::)
-Stranger-

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 03:28:54 PM »

The section of trestle which passes over Sir Francis Drake Boulevard which was used by Clint/ Malpaso has now been dismantled and taken to a salvage yard west of here.  The remainder which passes over the marsh/creek is still there, however.  This part will remain, I believe.   I talked to one of the workers down there.   He said the owner of the salvage company (W.K. McClellan Co.) plans to reassemble the  trestle exactly as it was for some reason, maybe to use in a children's park somewhere, so we may be out of luck.   :-[ I don't really know if that will actually come to pass however, so I will keep the board posted if I hear any further news on it.    8)

-Blu
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 03:35:03 PM by Blu » Logged

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 05:25:24 PM »

.....Well, it looks like we will be able to retrieve something from the trestle after all.  I am considering aquiring a length of  rail from the west side of the section used by Clint.  It will probably cost $10 per piece to cut up, possibly more when other costs are thrown in.  As well, it will cost something to ship the pieces to your respective locations, and iron is heavy.

So what I need to know from you guys, is how many of you are still interested, and what length of rail would y'all prefer ??  Remember, the longer, the heavier  --and the greater the shipping cost.  Basically, I need an idea of the total length  of rail to retrieve.

-Blu    

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2003, 05:57:20 PM »

What would be the minimum size piece one could acquire, Blu?
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2003, 05:40:25 AM »

Hi Blu ,

Thanks again for going to this trouble for us. The smaller the better for me as of where I live.

Stranger is away at the moment but I feel it would be the same for him.

Philo .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 06:56:36 PM by philo » Logged

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2003, 01:26:22 PM »

hi blu

wow this is great - yes just a small piece for me to

many thanks

perhaps at this rate just the piece clint put his foot on will do for all of us  ;D could you find that bit
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 01:26:56 PM by vik » Logged

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2003, 07:12:40 PM »

.....KC, I don't know if there is a minimum size piece to aquire.  The guy at the salvage yard told me to tell him what I want, and then I/we could figure out if it is worth it to cut it up.  He also said the City of Larkspur has already cut 4" pieces and engraved them for sale.  He said the section used by Eastwood was still there however.  
     I'm not sure about the actual part that Clint put his foot on, however.  In the movie, it looks like he was resting his foot on the rail on the west side.  However, I later learned from Larkspur Public Works that the trestle was actually largely replaced during the late '70's after a fire destroyed much of it.  My father remembers this as well, as do I, very vaguely.  So much of the original structure was not there several years after  DH was filmed.  The guy I talked to at Public Works said however, that the "stringers" or rail was almost certainly the original rail, so I think we should shoot for that .    I could perhaps ask for the center 7' of rail from the section that ran over lane #3 (which actually runs in the opposite direction now).  I believe, from driving under the trestle just before it was torn down, that this is in fact, the section Clint was standing on in '71.  They added three more lanes since that time,  but I determined that the camera angle/ viewpoint behind Clint just after he jumps, corresponds to what is now the center lane (lane #3). My contact said he would check with the city engineer on that, however.   He said he was around at the time.

So would the center 7 feet of rail from the west side of lane #3 be enough ??

-Blu  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 07:37:06 PM by Blu » Logged

Gary

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2003, 10:50:54 AM »

I drove past where it was just last week.  It's gone. :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T