News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 46462 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2002, 09:16:43 PM »

Originally posted by GMAT, 01-12-2002 06:46 AM      

Who here has read Thomas' novel, and to what degree does Eastwood's film depart from it?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2002, 09:17:54 PM »

Originally posted by KC, 01-12-2002 09:21 AM      

Mitch told us he "actually read the book some years later [after seeing the film] whilst on tour with a band and found it quite good."

KC

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2002, 09:19:08 PM »

Originally posted by Mitchel Gant, 01-12-2002 10:17 AM      

Yeah I do remember enjoying ther book tho' it isn't my usual type of reading.

It was along time ago but I seem to remember thinking how closely the film adhered to the book.
Since this discussion here, Firefox is no longer one of my least favorite Eastwood films and Ive since got hold of an original poster for it, which is a cracker.

--------------------
"Theres plenty of peanuts Big Al"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2002, 09:20:36 PM »

Originally posted by firefox3, 01-12-2002 02:42 PM      

Think it was 1985 when I saw Firefox at a quiet theater in Los Gatos California.

For it's time the FX were noteworthy considering the antics of Top Gun .

What stayed with me, about the Firefox, is the realistic approach it took to present day technolgy as opposed to the hypersci-fictionalized Star trekian /Star Wars craft making the rounds at the time.

I'd like to see a scene with the upgraded Fire Fox (circa 2004) taxiing on a Martian desert runway as our hero returns from a seam in time ...

" Better scrape those critters off the tires "

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2002, 09:21:50 PM »

Originally posted by Buckholz, 01-15-2002 08:50 PM

This is one of my favorite movies. I have read the book, and I am a fan of other Craig Thomas novels. The movie did follow the book good. I think that Clint is really good in it. I don't suppose anyone of you know if it'll be released on DVD anytime soon?

--------------------
"I'm the best there is."
- Mitchell Gant, Firefox
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2002, 09:23:04 PM »

Originally posted by KC, 01-15-2002 09:39 PM      

I haven't heard of any plans for a DVD, but as soon as they are announced, it's pretty certain someone will post them on this board, so keep watching!

Glad you like the book and the movie. And, welcome to the Eastwood Web Board!

KC

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2002, 09:25:51 PM »

That's the entire discussion, minus a handful of posts that had veered completely off topic.

This discussion is now open to new posts, if anyone feels so inclined. :)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2002, 09:28:53 AM »

Thanks for bringing this one over Matt... I thoroughly  enjoyed reading through it again.

I will be purchasing Firefox on DVD when it's released over here in a couple of weeks.  ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
william

Email
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2002, 09:38:07 PM »

Hi Matt!, say, I still don't understand why Gant has something like Shell Shock in the shower scene. Can you explain to me why he suffered this before stealing the jet. ;D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2002, 10:36:17 PM »

There may be more complicated psychological overtones to it, but generally, I think it was probably because in the shower scene he was placed in a very similar situation to something that he had experienced before. I think the fact that he was hiding and that he was on this mission and that he was there doing the spy and espionage thing all compouned and gave him a sense of acute vulnerability and fear and really kind of hearkened him back to those times where he was captured or tortured or had been imposed upon by the general condition of war. I think in that shower scene this all compounded to contribute to him relapsing and the re-emergence of his post traumatic stress syndrome.

Does that make it a little clearer for you William?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2002, 11:18:56 PM »

Thanks, AKA.  One topic I could have actually answered really well, and it was even directed to me... but you basically answered it.

Sorry, William... I was busy tonight or I would have gotten back to you myself.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2002, 11:25:39 PM »

Sorry Matt. I didn't mean to answer it for you. It was directed at you. I guess I overlooked that. I just thought that more discussion on it would be better.  Feel free to elaborate. I'm sure that you can do a much better job than I did. I didn't go into a lot of detail. If you have got more thoughts, please add them.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2002, 12:08:05 AM »

I'll give a little more insight into Gant, although I feel the question was answered already.  With PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), recollections can occur at anytime, under any circumstance, but they are more likely to occur when the person is in a situation that reminds them of their original trauma.  I believe Gant has these recollections three times in the film:

1)  In Alaska when he felt he was being chased by the helicopter that had come to recruit him for the mission.

2)  In the shower, just before the theft of the plane.

3)  When he was being targeted by the second Firefox.

As AKA mentioned, during those moments, Gant feels the fear and feelings of vulnerability that he suffered in Vietnam, but there's another factor that haunts Gant: guilt.   Many of Gant's recollections and flashbacks center around the young girl's death in Vietnam...  in the Firefox mission, once again he will see innocents die for a cause that he is involved in, and that he doesn't fully understand.   Gant may even feel guilt over just surviving these situations when so many others would not.   Throughout the film, he questions the reasons so many were willing to die for the mission and their  allegiance to the cause.  He slowly begins to understand why; first, when he hears about the man's Jewish wife who was imprisoned for so many years at the hands of the Russians and how he needed to do something to make her suffering meaningful; and then again when the scientist explains "You are a free man, I am not" (loosely quoted).    As Gant starts to understand the full meaning of the cause, he seems re-energized and more determined than ever to complete the mission.  

« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 12:13:18 AM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2002, 05:28:14 AM »

That all makes perfect sense guys but there is one thing that still puzzles me.
I'm sure early on in the film someone defending the desicion to use Gant on this particular mission states that Gants condition PTSD only surfaces during civillian life, never in battle conditions. Am I right here or did I imagine this scene.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
william

Email
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2002, 09:36:32 PM »

Thanks again guys for answering a tough question! My dad also has suffered some shock because of that war. To this day, you cannot put your arms around him for a hug, or just wrap your arm around his shoulder like we use to as kids :-\. I believe Clints' portrayl of Gants' illness was close to home.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2002, 10:26:13 PM »

Mitch, that does sound familiar, but I'm not an expert on Firefox.  I've only watched it two or three times.   Although I like some aspects of the film, it's never been a favorite of mine.  But, the parts of the film that I do enjoy are the parts that deal with Eastwood's character and his affliction.  

Going back to what the officers said, with PTSD, the effects DO occur after the trauma because when the person is actually experiencing the events, they will often lock out and close off all their feelings as a survival mechanism; otherwise, the full impact of the trauma would be too much to be able to accept.  So, it DOES affect civilian life, but as for it not occurring in battle conditions, that's subjective, and you'd have to wonder what would happen if the person was subjected to similar trauma ten or fifteen years later.  It seems the officers involved in the Firefox mission were so desperate because they felt Gant was the only man alive who could carry out the mission, that they turned a blind eye to the fact that he would suffer hallucinations or flashbacks during the mission.  Of course, they were wrong to say he wouldn't.  When Gant felt the fear of being pursued by the helicopter, facing possible death in the shower scene, and being shot at by the Firefox 2, the recollections from Vietnam did come back to him in disabling flashbacks.

There's another Eastwood film that gives a look at trauma victims suffering PTSD, this time not war-related, Sudden Impact.  In this film, you can see just how individual the reactions to even the same trauma can be for two different victims by looking at Jennifer and Elizabeth.   I won't steer this discussion away from Firefox, just wanting to show that no one can say how a person suffering from PTSD will react to a specific condition... it's all subjective.

Smith&Wesson44

All this for a friggin car...

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2003, 04:05:59 AM »

Man I am SO late with this thread but i had to put in my $.02 worth.

I love this film.  It was the first Eastwood film I saw at the theater and as an impressionable young boy at the time the entire 3rd act with the aircraft just left a much lasting impression on me that has stuck to this day.  A lot of people are hung up on character development, vulnerabilities, emotionalism, etc., but I just think the scenes with the aircraft are way cool.

When is this thing coming out on DVD?  I still haven't heard anything about it.  I asked the video stores and they didn't know what I was talking about.  I have the same question about City Heat.  I seem to be the only member of this board who likes these films.  Eastwood comedy at its finest. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2003, 04:08:24 AM by Smith&Wesson44 » Logged

"It's for the penetration"
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2003, 08:15:03 AM »

:)Firefox is out on DVD.  Go to the bottom of this page and click on DVDs...it's right under the advertising rectangle.  That will take you to Amazon.com where you can buy the DVD and also support this site.  Scroll down the first page of Eastwood DVDs, click on "More Results."  Firefox is at the bottom of that second page.  It's listed for $17.98 and it says it "usually ships in 24 hours.

Hope that helps.

mgk
Smith&Wesson44

All this for a friggin car...

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2003, 10:23:09 PM »

Thank you.  It helps immensely.  :-*

"It's for the penetration"
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2003, 10:38:29 PM »

only good shot was in the begining when the helicopter is chasing clint, rest of the movie we really could not get a good look at him. in all a very average movie.

rowdyyates
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T