News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gone To Texas  (Read 7404 times)
beefjerky

What'd you say..

View Profile Email
« on: August 11, 2003, 04:55:32 PM »

Hello, This may be a silly question but, I was wondering if anyone out there has read the novel to "The Outlaw Josey Wales" I believe the book was called "Gone to Texas" Is the novel much different from the movie? I have looked Hi and Low for it with no luck.. I would assume the book has been retired from print. Can anyone suggest where I might get my hands on a copy?

Much Abliged,
beefjerky
 ;D
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 06:20:20 PM »

Go to www.half.com ... you'll find it there.  You'll find the hardback for over a $100 ... but there are paperbacks available for far less.  I found Gone to Texas/The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales (the sequel) as a single book for less than $13 dollars.  Also found it titled The Outlaw Josey Wales as a movie tie-in.  Here's a link to Forrest Carter's books that are available:

forrest carter

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
beefjerky

What'd you say..

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 06:56:05 PM »

Thanks Doug, I will have to get a copy, I have wanted to read this for years...

beefjerky
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 07:05:03 PM »

The book is in print and can be ordered from Amazon.com for $11.48 plus shipping ... and you'll benefit this site, which has an affiliation with Amazon. (I hope I copied that link correctly so the affiliation will work.)

This is a University of New Mexico Press edition from November 1989, and it contains the original novel, which was originally published in 1973 under the title The Rebel Outlaw: Josey Wales, and subsequently under the titles Gone to Texas and The Outlaw Josey Wales, and the 1976 sequel, The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales. It also has an Afterword by Lawrence Clayton.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 08:57:40 PM by KC » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »

Dorchester Publishing's Leisure Western series has just released the original novel The Outlaw Josey Wales. I was just out today at Walmart and saw it there, so I bought it. It's retail price is only $6.99.

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

That's not Eastwood on the cover, is it?  ??? It does.. look like him  ???

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »

No, it's not Eastwood. The picture on the cover looks similar to a young Eastwood. However, it doesn't look like Eastwood from Josey Wales, nor does it even look like the way Josey is described in the novel (Josey does have facial hair in the book). You can probably see on the cover that Eastwood's name is mentioned not once, but twice! Under the title, it says "The basis for the classic movie starring Clint Eastwood." And right above Carter's name it has a quote from Eastwood: "A moving, exciting story about real characters who come alive on every page."
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:08:03 AM »

This the hardback edition that I have from 1975

It has a message from Clint inside the paper cover stating he liked this book so much it is going to be his next motion picture.

Is this a first edition under the "Gone to Texas" title.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »

Good to hear from you, Philo!  8)

I would guess that's a first edition under that title. As you know, it was first published two years earlier under the title The Rebel Outlaw, Josey Wales.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:17 AM »

Thanks KC
I stop by here from time to time to read anything new.

Will post again in the future if I have something to say.

Best regards to everyone

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Nome93

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »

I bought Gone To Texas and the Trail of Josey Wales from the UK on ebay too just 10 £
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »

This the hardback edition that I have from 1975

It has a message from Clint inside the paper cover stating he liked this book so much it is going to be his next motion picture.

Is this a first edition under the "Gone to Texas" title.

Philo .

Nice edition Philo!

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T