News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IN THE LINE OF FIRE: The Story: 5. Frank Horrigan and other Eastwood characters  (Read 2310 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 18, 2003, 12:23:09 AM »

In several interviews, Eastwood and some of his interviewers have compared the Frank Horrigan character to William Munny, Harry Callahan, Wes Block and Gunnery Sgt. Tom Highway. What similarities do you see between Horrigan and any of these other characters? What are the major differences between Horrigan and these characters? Can you think of any other Eastwood characters that you can compare with Horrigan?
eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 05:55:42 PM »

I'll take a stab at this one - good question, by the way ;)

I've always found a lot of similarity between Frank Horrigan and Red Garnett... I'll try to quantify that beyond the fact that they were back to back roles for Eastwood.

Both men seem to doubt a pivotal moment (a decision on Garnett's part vs. a seeming indecisiveness on Horrigan's part) in their past which could have changed history, and which provide the seeds for their current dilemmas. Both men are loners who appear to handle authority with alternating disdain and disregard. And both men are racing against the clock to catch a criminal who represents their respective failures (figuratively in Horrigan's case, literally in Red's case). To lose this race is to lose the internal struggle for a vindication of the action, or inaction, which led to this conflict in the first place.

And the arching specter of John F. Kennedy looms over both men, perhaps representing the unexpected fall of the "prodigal son" (Kennedy and Haines) in Red's case, and calling for long-awaited redemption (Kennedy and the current President) in Frank's case.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 09:21:30 PM »

Well, the thing is that no matter what had happend the night before and how much they partied and tied one on.  There is no way they could have stoped what had happend that fateful day in Dallas.  

-They (Horrigan/Munny) both fell guilt for their past but one is vaild guilt and the other isn't...
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 12:16:56 PM »

When Horrigan started getting the flu, I thought of Terry McCaleb, becuase at any point Horrigan probably could have just had a heart attack and died, much like McCaleb.

Also, Horrigan can be compared to Tom Highway, through the drinking and the fact thats how he lost his wife and children.

Althought Eastwoods characters have similarities, they are also all differant, and thats another thing I like about Clint.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2003, 12:32:17 PM »

I recently watched the trailer and TV spots on the disc, and I recall one line in it where someone tells Horrigan that he's getting too close to the Leary character (I haven't rewatched the movie in a while). That immediately sprung to mind Wes Block. Horrigan and Block both have to get very close to their killers in order to get them.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 12:33:00 PM by Christopher » Logged
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 05:58:10 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T