News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER: Style and Technique 5: The Pace  (Read 3320 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 14, 2003, 11:15:14 PM »

How well-paced do you find High Plains Drifter? Does it hold your interest throughout? Does it seem to rush or lag at times? Are there any particular scenes that you think stand out as especially crisply paced or dragging?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 10:53:58 AM »

I think I mentioned in the "Overall Feeling" thread, that I really like the pace of High Plains Drifter. The whole film is pretty tightly paced, which isn't something that Eastwood does a lot of time, but it works well in this movie.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 10:02:12 PM »

I think the pace in this film is rather good. It does have it's quite moments, but Eastwood ratchets up the tension pretty quickly when necessary. It felt to me as if for the most part the film had an aproppriate balance.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 03:18:05 PM »

The pace seemed fine to me. I mean come on, what more could have been added? We had a the Stranger come in, take charge, we see the guys being released, and the town preparing for the battle.

Although... come to think of it, it could have used a training montage with the 'Eye of the Tiger' playing in the background.  ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 09:30:03 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Westerns forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:42:31 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »

I agree with what's been said, at no point in the movie you could get up and make a coffee or a sandwich without pausing the film.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »

The pace is perfect.   As it opens it seems to be slow with The Stranger riding into Lago but without you really noticing the action starts and you are hooked.  SC you are right there is no way you could leave this movie to make a snack.  You would have to stop it becasue you would miss something that you need to see.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:08:13 PM »

The pace is perfect. I hate watching a film and half way through you look at your watch wondering how much longer there is to go. Not with this film. There's no time to turn away from the screen for a second.

This film only goes for about 100 minutes. There's so much in that 100 minutes that you're left wanting more. Some other films that run for over 120 minutes, overstay their welcome and you can't wait for the final credits to roll.

GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 05:52:42 AM »

I agree with what everyone has said so far.

The pace of the movie was perfect. I wish there were more as well but I don't know what else (if anything) they could have added to it to make it longer. The Stranger rode into town, took care of business and was on his way (as it should be!), there was definitely no faffing about!

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 03:23:22 AM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Clint Eastwood Westerns forum.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T