News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER: Style and Technique 3: The Score  (Read 4790 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 14, 2003, 11:16:23 PM »

"You try to write a theme that will glue the whole thing together, and that can be used a little bit later in the picture, and that's why I used such a simple theme so that it would sound like a character from Clint's Italian Westerns without sounding exactly like Morricone. And then I could go ahead and stretch out on the weird sounds of the whipping scene, from the one little cue that gets the Carlin Brothers from the prison, and back to Lago, a kind of far-out thing with voices and quarter-tone harmonica. I got a little pitch diversion there -- I put the two singers in a booth where they couldn't hear the rest of the music, and that's how we got the spooky sound, because the pitch between the people playing harmonica and synthesizer and the singers was different -- the girls had perfect pitch, and, of course, we weren't tuned to perfect pitch."
(Dee Barton, quoted in Fuensanta Plaza's Clint Eastwood/Malpaso, p. 50)

Dee Barton composed the scores for three Eastwood films: Play Misty For Me, High Plains Drifter and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. What do you think of the score for High Plains Drifter?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 07:54:32 AM »

I like the score to High Plains Drifter. It has such an eerie quality to it, it almost sounds like it could go to a ghost story. And still, it seems to go well with a western too.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 03:00:20 AM »

The score is probably the best non Leone western theme in a clint movie. As Christopher said, it could be made for a ghost story. Its eerie, it builds up the mood and it never seems to be "out of place" as some scores can be in movies
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 08:19:43 PM »

I was sorry that there was so little of it. What there is is just great ..... perfect for the film's supernatural theme.

I would loved for there to have been a soundtrack release for any of the Barton scores .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 02:08:18 PM »

It was a nice score. It really did help set the mood, and actually, going against what philo said, sorry buddy, I'm glad there wasn't alot of it.

I like how Eastwood doesn't use alot of music in his films. Films today tend to just use alot and it seems as though there using it to try and divert your attention from something and sometimes that's not a good thing.

But this score was used in the right spots for the right amount of time.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 09:31:16 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Westerns forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:43:50 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »

I was sorry that there was so little of it.

Actually, I think that's why it works so well. It's there in the right places but it isn't over bearing so you can't hear the dialogue of the film. The less the better is the case for this score. Not saying that in a bad way. As I said in the Oscar Worthy thread, it's a great eerie score. It's used sparingly throughout the film but it all fits together nicely.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »

Actually, I think that's why it works so well. It's there in the right places but it isn't over bearing so you can't hear the dialogue of the film. The less the better is the case for this score. Not saying that in a bad way. As I said in the Oscar Worthy thread, it's a great eerie score. It's used sparingly throughout the film but it all fits together nicely.

Exactly SK.  This is the case in most of the movies Clint directs.  It is just in the background at the right time and makes you feel spooked sometimes when you notice it.
GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:52:33 AM »

I was sorry that there was so little of it. What there is is just great ..... perfect for the film's supernatural theme.

I would loved for there to have been a soundtrack release for any of the Barton scores .

I'm in absolute agreement on this one. It's a shame there's nothing like a "movie score compilation"  CD for Barton's work.

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Clint Eastwood Westerns forum.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T