News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER: Style and Technique 4: The Cinematography  (Read 1774 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 14, 2003, 11:15:54 PM »

I try to get the cinematographer involved with the story, I tell him what I want to accomplish and try to convey a feeling for what I think it should look like, because the style grows out of the material, and so the style changes really with each picture.
(Eastwood in an interview with Ric Gentry published in Millimeter, December 1980, reprinted in Clint Eastwood: Interviews, p. 64)

Bruce Surtees was the cinematographer of The Beguiled, Play Misty for Me, Dirty Harry, Joe Kidd, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Escape from Alcatraz, Firefox, Honkytonk Man, Sudden Impact, Tightrope and Pale Rider. Do you notice the cinematography styles to be different for each of these films, fitting the mood of each story? If so, how do you feel this is accomplished in High Plains Drifter? Discuss any particular cinematography elements that you were especially impressed with in this film.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 09:30:39 PM »

This thread is now locked.  Please post any thoughts you have on this topic in the Westerns forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 04:43:11 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:24:18 AM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Clint Eastwood Westerns forum.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T