News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Couple of questions about "Joe Kidd"  (Read 1532 times)
John Omohundro

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: September 17, 2003, 07:20:55 AM »

Hello all.

I have a couple of questions about "Joe Kidd", which was, until the release of "In the Line of Fire" and "Absolute Power", one of my all-time favorite Clint Eastwood flicks.

First of all--does anyone besides me consider it to be the FOURTH "Spaghetti Western"? In "A Fistful of Dollars", the old undertaker ("Silvanito") refers to Eastwood's character as "Joe".

Secondly, at the end of "For a Few Dollars More", when Eastwood's character (called "Manco" in this film) is asked by Colonel Mortimer (Lee Van Cleef) what he intends to do with all the money (the combined bounty on Indio's gang, and the reward posted by the Bank of El Paso for the return of its stolen money), "Manco" replies something to the effect that he wants to retire from bounty hunting and become a rancher--he even has a nice piece of property picked out!

Thirdly, in "Joe Kidd", when told by Frank Harlan (Robert Duvall) that he "used to hunt men", Kidd (Eastwood) replies "That was a LONG time ago..."

Make sense to anyone else here?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone else besides me has had any luck identifying the two rifles used by Eastwood and actor James Wainwright ("Olin Mingo") in the sniper duel in the middle of "Joe Kidd". I've identified Mingo's rifle as either a Remington-Keene (a .45-70 bolt-action built just after the Civil War) or a Winchester Hotchkiss (another .45-70 bolt-action--however, this one wasn't produced until the late 1870s/early 1880s). I haven't had as much luck with the unusual takedown rifle used by Eastwood as Joe, though. I think it's an early Mauser (given that the earliest Mausers came out in 1871, and "Joe Kidd" is, judging by the weapons present (Lamarr Simms' (Don Stroud) Mauser C1896 automatic, and Frank Harlan's Savage Model 1899), the rifle was most likely an early smokeless-powder Mauser--the earliest of them was either the 1888 "Commission Rifle" (a combination of Mauser and Mannlicher designs), or the Model 1893 7mm, used by Spain in the Spanish-American War of 1898.

Any ideas?

Sorry I ran on for so long, BTW. :)
--John
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 10:44:22 PM »

John, I've heard the suggestion about the link between the Leone films and Joe Kidd before, but I don't put too much stock in it personally. For one thing, Fistful and FAFDM are set in the 1870s ... about thirty years before the action of Joe Kidd (thanks for your very detailed reply in the thread about the time period of that film, by the way). Doesn't seem likely that our gunslinger would have aged so little in the interim! ;)

At least two of our members, D'Ambrosia and Concorde, are going to be very interested in the second part of your post. You may have noticed the "Clint's Guns" thread in which D'Amb is attempting to research as many as possible of the firearms used by Clint's characters in all his films ... when I heard from him last about this, he was trying to get a copy of the DVD of Joe Kidd to aid him in his research. I'm sure he'll have some ideas about these guns if he's managed to see the film again since then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T