News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about number of posts  (Read 3680 times)
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2003, 03:17:42 AM »

I had been wondering about this for quite some time, so here goes:
 How come my number of posts go down sometimes? Do you guys delete threads and stuff like that and it takes off posts? I dont really mind, either way, I was just wondering, because I posted something this morning, and I was thinking "oh, I must be kinda close to 400 posts now" and then the counter went down to 385 again...
 so I guess thats about it, I was just wondering about that :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 03:18:56 AM by misty71 » Logged

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 04:47:23 AM »

Yes, Misty, some posts are being automatically removed as a result of the announcement made in the Off-Topic section back on June 4, 2003 which says, in part:

In order to save space on this site, we will be purging the Off-Topic forum topics every few months.  If there is anything that you want to save, please save it on your computer in the next few days.  We will be doing this on a regular basis so please save any threads you think you may want in the future.  When these threads are deleted, all the posts that are deleted are subtracted from those members' post counts automatically.

That is the major reason that the  number of posts someone has will change from time to time.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 05:58:19 AM »

thanks mgk, thats what I thought :)
Ill try to reach that 400 someday lol, everytime I get close I get back to 380 something ;D

Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »

We had asked Cal a few months ago if he could make it so that the posts in the OT forum would not count toward a member's post counts at all, unfortunately it isn't an option that's available in the board software. We would like to see the OT forum used by those members who post in other sections to occasionally share something important that isn't Eastwood-related, but not for it to be an internet blog for members to post about anything they want to talk about. There are other sites for that, this is the Eastwood Discussion Board. Since our member ranking system here is based on post counts, then I think the posts should only count in the Eastwood sections of the board because that is truly where you'll find who our valuable members are, and the members who add to making this site the best it can be.  

Misty, you've made a lot of great Eastwood-related contributions that won't be deleted. You'll get to the "Member Extraordinaire" level soon, and when you do it will actually mean a lot more this way because those 500 posts will have been contributions to the Eastwood discussions that are what makes this board the best message board I've found on the 'net, and a high quality discussion board for all Eastwood fans.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 08:52:52 AM by Matt » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 09:59:36 AM »

And the reason I don't post much in off topic.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 10:34:35 AM »

I think youre right Matt.
It does make more sense to be credited with the "eastwood related posts" since, this is after all, a clint eastwood board.
Im not too worried about my post count...Ill get to "member extrordinaire" someday, I guess
I was just wondering why my posts kept dissapearing ;D

Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 01:07:27 PM »

Misty, I bet you could get back as many as you lost if you work through those In the Line of Fire and High Plains Drifter threads. Don't think I've seen you in those discussions much yet.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 01:20:34 PM »

I know I know :)
I have posted a bit in ITLOF...as far as HPD I would need to re-watch it before making comments
school on week days
partyin on weekends
Me and Clint never see each other anymore ;)
no but really, Ive been meaning to get on it, HPD is right next to the VCR, I swear it is ;D I just gotta find sometime to watch it

Keith Richards
Cal
Administrator

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 08:14:24 PM »

FYI,

There really is no need to purge anything on the boad. Everything is database driven and hardly takes up the room the old board used to. The more the merrier  ;)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 07:22:31 AM »

Cal, thanks for working this out with us off the board last night.  :)

It really is great to hear there are no space issues, as there were on the old Board, but the other reasons for purging threads in this section still hold true. It's just not right to have more than half the topics, or more than half the posts, on the Eastwood Web Board be in the "off topic" section, as was the case before we started purging the threads. Some of the threads in the OT section are of interest to many members, but most aren't, and having that many posts on the board that aren't related to Eastwood or that aren't of interest to most members lowered the quality and hurt the integrity of this board that we all love so much.

We will be continuing to purge the OT threads when they reach the third page of this forum. This means that before a thread is deleted it will have usually been inactive for more than a month. This gives everyone enough time to read and respond to a discussion before it is removed from the site. This seems like a good alternative to keeping the board focused on Eastwood, while allowing members to still enjoy having an Off Topic section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T