News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name of Song in the Good, the Bad & the Ugly  (Read 4505 times)
mundon

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2003, 06:12:05 AM »

In the Movie, "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" what is the name of the song where the music is played periodically throughout the movie, and the lyrics are heard during the prison scene, but the words are so low and muffled that are indistinguishible?  My friend is an avid fan of Clints, and has loved this song for years and is unable to find a copy of the song or the words.  Can anyone help me - I'd like to find it for him for a great Christmas surprise.
RGP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 08:58:44 AM »

I'm not sure of the title of that track. however I think it is on the Soundtrack to GBU by Ennio Morricone available from record stores or amazon etc
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 08:58:18 PM »

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

The song is "The Story of a Soldier." The words are by British songwriter Tommie Connor, best known (in this country, at least) for writing the words and music for "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"; the GBU song was his final commission. Here is a bit of information about him that I once posted on the old Leone Web Board:

OK ... here is the lowdown on Tommie Connor, from "You Must Remember This ... " : Popular Songwriters 1900-1980, by Mark White (New York: Scribner, c1985, p. 65-67): His full name is Thomas P. Connor, and he was born in Bloomsbury, London, on Nov. 16, 1904. His first published song (as lyricist) was in 1932. In the two decades following his breakthrough year, 1935, he had at least 10 chart-topping songs, including the English version of "Lili Marleen" (1944) and "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" (1952; Connor also wrote the music). Also:

"A writer of Tommie Connor's talent was much in demand in the theatre, in movies, and as a writer of special material for the famous. Between 1933 and 1977 he contributed lyrics for songs to more than 50 film musicals, his last commission being for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

Tommie Connor died in 1993 (his obituary is in the London Times, Dec. 27, 1993).

And here are the lyrics, as originally posted on the Leone Board on April 23, 1999 by Bill Reynolds (with "thanks to Addie Smith who has the sheet music"):

THE STORY OF A SOLDIER
English lyrics by Tommie Connor

Bugles are calling from prairie to shore,
"Sign up" and "Fall in" and march off to war.
Drums beating loudly,
Hearts beating proudly,
March Blue and Grey
And smile as you say good-bye.

Smoke hides the valleys
And fire paints the plains.
Loud roar the cannons
'Til ruin remains:
Blue grass and cotton
Burnt and forgotten
All hope seems gone
So soldier march on to die.

There in the distance
A flag I can see,
Scorched and in ribbons
But whose can it be;
How ends the story,
Whose is the glory,
Ask if we dare
Our comrades out there who sleep.

mundon

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 07:07:52 AM »

Thanks so much for the info - found the soundtrack, and subsequently the words - you people are amazing!  Thanks again ;
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 08:09:00 AM »

And all this time I thought the lyrics were simply: "ah-EE-ah-EE-ahhh.....wah-WAH-wahhhh...."

Seriously, those are nice lyrics by Connor. I'm really curious, though, in how they fit in with the melody. Those are a lot of words to squeeze in the way the song flows. Hope to hear it sung someday.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
CSM

"I ain't drunk."

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 04:48:27 AM »

While we're on this subject, does anyone know where I can the 5:30 minute version of the song (as opposed to 3:50 one)?  I know the extended soundtrack, but I haven't been able to track it down . . .  :-\

BTW, the last time I saw the movie I noticed a line or two that wasn't in the lyrics list.  Something like: "The Desolation/Once was a nation."  That line haunts me, and yet it doesn't seem to exist.  (If anyone knows the rest of the verse, or even noticed this, I'd be most appreciative.)

"You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for - not unless you first break his spirit.  That's - a beautiful thing to see!" - Cigarette-Smoking Man (William B. Davis), "The X-Files", "The Beginning" (6X01)
Lover of Eastwood & Leone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T