News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS there Gay Subtext in DIRTY HARRY?  (Read 18950 times)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2003, 12:55:40 PM »

Wasn't there a little-known sequel called, Dirty Harry & Crazy Larry? I never saw it....

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2003, 04:48:01 PM »

This is all very sad.  :(
I mean, come on, there is no  gay subtext. Phallic symbols? ::) I mean, he's a cop he has to carry a gun right?what is he gonna defend himself with a rag?Im sorry, but I dont see any sign of homosexuality in our dear inspector71. By the way, isnt that soooo original, since the film was made in 71? :o No, I mean come on, I dont think theres any gay subtext in there, Scorpio could be gay, but thats all.The whole think about DH asking scorpio "where's the girl" because he doesnt like her coming in between them....Some  people do think a lot! ;D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2003, 05:20:58 PM »

Just in case anyone is actually taking this thread seriously, it is just a joke...  but this thread isn't:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=142

This thread was started to show just what can happen if you're looking too hard to find a message in a film that you want to find.  Don't take anything here seriously.
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2003, 08:18:06 AM »

Actually, I thought you guys would find this hysterical.

There is a radio disc jockey called the GREASEMAN, who always did "stories" with full scale sound effects.

Anyway, he always used to do stories about if he got hit in the head and was magically taken away to a world where he and Clint Eastwood were gay.

If you go to www.greaseman.org..click the link that says MP3 and bits...and then ALBUM ONE, you will see a link that is called CLINTON AND THE PUNK.

Click that and it lets you hear one of those stories. Its really funny!!!

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Jay74

"opinions are like @#!holes, everybody's got one"

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2003, 11:10:50 AM »

????You gotta be F*ckin' me.
And the T-rex in Jurassic Park stands for Spielberg's violent daddy i suppose.
Nonsence to the max, except for the old batman series, but that's obvious
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2003, 12:14:49 PM »

Remember, Jay:

This thread was started to show just what can happen if you're looking too hard to find a message in a film that you want to find.  Don't take anything here seriously.

My emphasis.  That is an interesting theory about the T-Rex.  I always thought the T-Rex symbolized the snotty film critic.  But that's another topic.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2003, 03:56:13 PM »

Thanks, Doug.

Do you think it might be due to the fact that I phrased that "disclaimer" so badly that the point might not have gotten across?

Let me try again:

This thread was started to show just what can happen if you pick any film, pick any agenda, and try to make the film support that agenda by referencing certain subtext, symbolism, or whatever else you can find if you look hard enough into the film.  No one who has posted in this thread actually believes there's gay subtext in Dirty Harry, but it was fun trying to prove there was with our outlandish examples (which are actually no more outrageous than some critics and non-critics use when trying to prove their own personal theories of a film).  

We had fun in this thread, but I think the time has come to close it.  Thanks for a fun thread, BDC.  
sten

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

hey, so first of all, am I glad to have found a forum SPECIFICALLY made for discussing all things Clint Eastwood. I really love harry Callahan's sweater vest Looks

second of all, I really want to share my thoughts on a possible relationship between inspector callahan and inspector gonzalez.

when chico is introduced in dirty harry, he is wearing a grey blazer, in contrast to harry's brown plaid blazer. 40 minutes into the movie, chico is wearing a brown plaid blazer and harry a grey blazer. they are also shown to be getting out of the same car in the beginning of that scene. now... the two brown plaid blazers have SLIGHTLY different patterns, but one could argue that it was a continuity error and it was meant to be the same blazer. my friends and i have this theory that chico and harry spent the night together in between this scene and the stakeout scene before it and they accidentally swapped blazers. one could ALSO argue that chico based his wardrobe around harry's out of admiration or to achieve a partner Look.

Thoughts?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »

;D  This is maybe the most unique "first post" on the forum.

Screencaps will be necessary. Let's see if there's anything to this.
sten

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2016, 01:47:27 PM »

screencaps you say? Absolutely!!

^ chico's introduction

^ 40 minutes into the movie

^ them getting out of the car together
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »

You're very prepared. I was going to do this. Let me get out my pipe and blazer, and investigate this.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »

After thorough inspection, and a brief rewatch of the sniper scene and the following scene at the police station, I have to vote against a night of wild steamy sex between Chico and Harry that would possibly entail them accidentally wearing each other's blazers. It might have been possible if only Chico's blazer was an exact match for the brown one Harry was wearing.

I think more likely... Chico and Harry just are snazzy dressers, unusual for undercover inspectors, but maybe there is something between them that makes them two birds of a feather.

We might want to merge your posts into this thread:

Is There Gay Subtext In Dirty Harry

As you can guess of a discussion board about Clint Eastwood movies that's been around for nearly 20 years ... we sometimes are just looking for anything to talk about. :)
sten

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2016, 02:23:17 PM »

oh wow i didn't know that thread existed hahaha!!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »

I might have to unlock it... it was fun for three pages, but people kept taking it seriously. It might be fun to unlock and see what new posts we can add.

I just noticed that no one put Chico and Harry together -- it always Harry and Scorpio.  But, maybe.... Harry wasn't monogamous!  :o  ;)
sten

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

ah... i read through that thread and saw it was a joke... :/ (this thread wasn't a joke lmao!)

but harry/scorpio?? really? come on!! harry/chico is where's it's at gang!

also the hot dog that harry eats at the beginning represents chico's penis... Symbolism
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »

Harry doesn't have time to break in any newcomers. If he has time, he'd rather break in someone who knows what he's doing.

His words, not mine.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2016, 02:38:46 PM »

Oh, and you know what happened to the other "partners" before Chico?  One's still in the hospital, and the other is dead.

Damn. So that's why they call him Dirty Harry.
twinkeastwood

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »

MY LONGEST YEAH BOY EVER
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »

We've merged sten's post here but the topic remains locked.

This thread was started to show just what can happen if you pick any film, pick any agenda, and try to make the film support that agenda by referencing certain subtext, symbolism, or whatever else you can find if you look hard enough into the film.  No one who has posted in this thread actually believes there's gay subtext in Dirty Harry, but it was fun trying to prove there was with our outlandish examples (which are actually no more outrageous than some critics and non-critics use when trying to prove their own personal theories of a film). 

We had fun in this thread, but I think the time has come to close it.  Thanks for a fun thread, BDC.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T