News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint to be on 60 Minutes II  (Read 2896 times)
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2003, 07:45:06 PM »

....Just thought I would pass along this little snippet that caught my eye today in Leah Garchek's column in the S.F. Chronicle:

Charlie Rose has been in the Bay Area
              shooting a "Mystic River" segment for "60
              Minutes II."  Rose was in Carmel inter-
              viewing Clint Eastwood, and talked with
              Sean Penn at Jeannette Etheredge's

Tosca.      

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 08:11:33 PM »

....Just thought I would pass along this little snippet that caught my eye today in Leah Garchek's column in the S.F. Chronicle:

Charlie Rose has been in the Bay Area
              shooting a "Mystic River" segment for "60
              Minutes II."  Rose was in Carmel inter-
              viewing Clint Eastwood, and talked with
              Sean Penn at Jeannette Etheredge's

Tosca.      

Hi Blu,

what's the idea with '60 Minutes II' as opposed to just '60 Minutes'?  We only get '60 Minutes' here in Australia (the Australian version, not the US.)

Sometimes our Aussie reporters interview international movie actors, and once in a while they use a US '60 Minutes' piece, but not very often.

'60 Minutes' was V E R Y popular here in the late 80's but somehow I don't think it is as popular or respected as a source of information anymore.

Regards,

WKC.

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 08:16:32 PM »

I don't know about 60 Minutes II....Its probably a version of it on at some time other than Primetime...

-Blu

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 09:48:45 PM »

Is that supposed to be on this week's show, or is it for a future show?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 09:55:53 PM »

Blu, next time you copy a news story and post it here, can you please just include the link, too? To humor me? Thanks! ;)

About "60 Minutes II" ... this is from CBSNews.com:
(CBS) 60 Minutes II, a weekly primetime newsmagazine with the signature style, journalistic quality and integrity of the original 60 Minutes, begins its sixth season this fall.

The broadcast includes original reporting from its team of experienced correspondents, as well as periodic reports from other CBS News journalists. 60 Minutes II also features updated reports on classic 60 Minutes stories.

60 Minutes II airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT. Check your local listings for more information.
Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 04:53:06 PM »

...O.K. KC.  But I still haven't figured out how to "label" a link with a word.... ;)

-Blu

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 08:58:29 PM »

Sorry guys. I'm not exactly clear on when this is airing. This is not tonight, correct? Has the air date not yet been determined?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 10:07:18 PM »

It wasn't on their "Up next" list for tonight. You might check back on their site in a few days to see if it's scheduled next Wednesday.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 01:17:37 AM »

A segment with Sean Penn, interviewed by Charlie Rose, is scheduled to air tonight, Wednesday, December 3rd. I don't know if perhaps the article got it confused and thought that it was Eastwood being interviewed, or whether this will be just one segment and another one with Eastwood may be to follow shortly on another week, but that's the schedule. Maybe Eastwood was just interviewed briefly as a part of the Penn piece. I think if Eastwood were going to be on the program in addition to Penn they would probably have mentioned that, so, somebody watch Wednesday night and let us know if you find any more information about Clint appearing, or let us know how the Sean Penn piece turned out :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 10:24:15 PM »

There were, in fact, a couple of comments by Eastwood in the segment. I didn't see it, but a transcript and video are available on the program's website. (Unfortunately, the brief video clip has nothing to do with Mystic River, or Penn's acting for that matter, but is concerned with his pre-war trip to Baghdad—six short paragraphs near the end of the transcription.)

Here's the bit featuring Eastwood (who is, of course, speaking about Sean Penn):

“He read the script. He called me back and said, ‘This is a beast.’ But he said, ‘I love it,’” recalls the film’s director Clint Eastwood. “He has the ability to involve himself in the character that you see rarely. Once in a while, every generation, you’ll find somebody who can involve themselves to the depth that no matter how wide open they play it, or stayed in a believable range, because, he’s serious about what he does.”

And at the end of the transcription, Eastwood says ...
“I think probably at this particular time and of his generation of actors coming up, he’s probably the very best,” says Eastwood.

Here's another bit from this segment that I thought was interesting ...
What was the hardest scene for Penn to shoot?

“It was the scene where myself and Kevin Chapman are approaching the crime scene. So, I said to Clint, ‘Look, if a couple of guys put their hands on me, somebody’s gonna get hurt … I’m gonna do everything I can to get to my daughter.’ And so he said, ‘OK’. And that was it. I figured OK, I’m just trusting Clint Eastwood,” says Penn.

“And we started the scene, and before I knew it, there were about 18 policemen on me. And there wasn’t a muscle in my body that could move. There was nothing I could do to hurt anybody. By the end of two takes of that, I was ready for an oxygen tank, but nobody got hurt and I got to go as far as I wanted to go.”

I liked that scene in particular because of the rhythm of the contrast Eastwood establishes between the widescreen frame full of writhing policemen trying to restrain the furious Markum (Penn), and the almost frozen calm of the closeups of Sean (Kevin Bacon) as he watches the struggle.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 11:30:43 PM by KC » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 12:55:15 AM »

Thanks for the update, KC :) It appears perhaps as if Eastwood was only interviewed in connection with Penn. I was looking forward to seeing an Eastwood interview, but I guess that isn't in the cards.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T