News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any good books about Clint ?  (Read 1981 times)
lucile

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: November 20, 2003, 06:29:04 AM »

I'm doing a research on all the westerns with Clint Eastwood. Can you advise me good books that could help me please ?  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 07:32:49 AM »

Do you read French or German?

I'll be back with some suggestions tonight.
lucile

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 09:55:36 AM »

I'm French, I can read French and English. :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 11:57:02 PM »

You're in luck. The French love Eastwood, and there are many books in French about the man and his films. There is one entirely devoted to his Westerns: Eastwood: la boucle et le trait d'union, by Nicolas Chemin (Paris: Dreamland, 2002; ISBN 2910027910)

There are also two brand new French books on Eastwood that I just received from Amazon.fr this week. I haven't had time to read either yet, but both look good. One is Noël Simsolo's Clint Eastwood : Un passeur à Hollywood (Paris: Cahiers du Cinéma,  2003, ISBN 2866423658). This is formally a new edition of Sinsolo's earlier book about Eastwood, but since that was published in 1990, there is a lot of new material about Eastwood's films since then (there is even a chapter on Mystic River). Of course, Eastwood has made only one Western since 1990, but that is his masterpiece, Unforgiven. It's illustrated in color throughout.

The other new work is A l'Est d'Eastwood, by Christian Authier (Paris: Table Ronde, 2003, ISBN 2710326140). This is an essay, not a survey or an in-depth study. The publisher describes it as "une promenade buissonnière, un voyage en forme d'hommage. Sur les pistes de l'Ouest et sous les ponts de Madison, dans les rues de San Francisco et dans les boites de jazz, au cœur de pays oubliés et tout près d'ici : à l'est d'Eastwood.. "

You might also look at the revised edition of François Guérif's Clint Eastwood (Paris: Ramsay, 1994, ISBN 2841140350). It includes a chapter on every film to that date.

Among recent books in English on Eastwood, one I like a lot is William Beard's Persistence of Double Vision: Essays on Clint Eastwood (Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 2000, ISBN 088864356X). It's an academic study, but free of jargon and consistently illuminating. There's a chapter on Unforgiven and considerable discussion of his other self-directed Westerns.

Some other recommended works in English:
Clint Eastwood: Filmmaker and Star, by the British scholar Edward Gallafent (New York: Continuum, 1993, ISBN 0826406653). That's the American title; the title of the English edition was Clint Eastwood: Actor and Director (London: Studio Vista, 1994).

Directed by Clint Eastwood: Eighteen Films Analyzed, by Laurence F. Knapp (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 1996, ISBN 0786402717)

Acting Male: Masculinities in the Films of James Stewart, Jack Nicholson, and Clint Eastwood, by Dennis Bingham (New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 1994, ISBN 0813520746) (about the last 80 pages are devoted to Eastwood)

Finally, if you're interested in what Eastwood has had to say about his own films, you might look at Clint Eastwood: Interviews, edited by Robert E. Kapsis and myself, Kathie Coblentz (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1999, ISBN 1578060699)

I hope this helps! Let us know how your research progresses.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 11:59:27 PM by KC » Logged
lucile

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 04:43:30 AM »

Hey KC !! Thanks ever so much for your post !!! That's really awesome of you !! I'll check these books :)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 01:34:03 AM »

Let us know what you think if you get around to checking these out :) and welcome to the board.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 12:44:56 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T