News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Golf In The Kingdon  (Read 6905 times)
clinter

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: November 21, 2003, 02:37:24 AM »

Does anyone out there know anything about Golf In The Kingdom? Is it in production? Completed? Shelved? Scrapped? I know that Mr Eastwood purchased the rights several years ago and as of a couple of years ago, the screen adaptation was being written. I recently reread the book and I believe that it would make a great film.
william

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 02:16:44 PM »

Clinter, what is this story about? Who is the author? When did Mr. Eastwood purchase the rights? :)
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 02:56:43 PM »

yeh who would u reckon would be good for the main part?

please don't say kevin costner or jeff daniels
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 03:00:31 PM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
william

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 03:00:31 PM »

Vik, hopefully not Kevin Costner ;D
clinter

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 04:38:20 PM »

thanks for replying. the book was written by micheal murphy in 1972. it is a spirtual story that takes place in scotland. the principles are a scotish golf pro and young american that is on his way to india to study eastern philisophies. everyone else in the movie would be scotish - some juicey roles for all i figure -  and i'm sure that there are an abundance of scotish character actors that would love to sink their teeth into this one. i remember an interview with mr eastwood about 10 years ago in which he mentioned that he had recently secured the rights to the film adaptation. then about 2 or 3 years ago i read somewhere that the screenplay was being written. haven't heard anything since. the book is still in print in paperback so it's easy to find/read. thanks again all.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 05:01:10 PM »

clinter, first off welcome to the board, and secondly I started a topic about this movie awhile back.

Check it out here.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 06:54:50 PM »

We've discussed this project on this board quite a bit in the past. I can confirm what Clinter says: Eastwood has had rights to the book for at least ten years; I recall that he said in some 1993 interviews that he hoped to do it as his next film, or very soon; the problem was apparently that it was difficult to extract a viable screenplay from the book. As I said in the thread Brendan linked to,
A few years back, if I recall right, [Eastwood] said he finally had a satisfactory script ... but that was the last I heard.

Clinter, you're the first person I've encountered who's read the book and thinks it would make a great film. (I haven't read it, and I'm not a golfer.) I hope you're right ... Eastwood certainly loves golf, so I'm sure he'd enjoy making it. In any event, welcome to the Eastwood Web Board!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 07:28:06 PM »

There were reports of Clint in Scotland some years back. I can confirm that when he appeared at the NFT to promote The bridges of Madison county, he was asked and admitted he was having trouble bringing Golf in the kingdom to the screen. He spoke of it unnamed and when the person asking the qustion brought up the title he confirmed that was the one.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 12:53:59 AM »

Hi Clintster. It's nice to see a new member with so much enthusiasm on the board. As many board members already know, I've never really been too enthusiastic abou this project. I'm interested that you seemed to like it so much. What was it that made you feel that it was very good and why do you feel it would make a great film? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 12:47:42 PM by AKA23 » Logged
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 01:25:51 PM »

ok how about colin montgomerie or sean connery

how old is this guy suppose to be ?

or course could be andy garcia - but not sure about the scottish accent  ;D

england -  its flag the St George flag
william

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 06:05:09 PM »

Regardless of who the star would be, I would gladly speak irish and be the caddy ;D. Wasn't there a movie starring a black actor as a caddy in a golfing movie just recently?
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2003, 12:07:33 AM »

Wasn't there a movie starring a black actor as a caddy in a golfing movie just recently?
Yes.Robert Redford`s The Legend Of Bagger Vance(2000).It starred Will Smith and Matt Damon.
I would like to see Sean Connery doing a film with Eastwood...even if the film is about golf ;D
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 10:07:32 AM »

Oh please Clint, DON'T do a movie about golf!
:'(
Just play it, talk about it, get it outa your system and then make another western/thriller/psychological drama/sci-fi/horror/musical...

Daisy Girl!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T