News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: City Heat  (Read 17093 times)
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« on: December 15, 2003, 02:10:33 PM »

Hi everyone!
I finally got around to buying a DVD player, got me one of those that have both VHS and DVD on it. SO I decided to celebrate that by buying 3 clint DVD"s; White Hunter Black Heart, Where Eagles Dare and City Heat.
 Now I havent got around to watching the other two on DVD yet, but I just watched City Heat and umm.. :-\ Well I had a felling it was gonna be bad but this kinda went beyond my expectations.
 I mean, the film has it's moments of course, and I enjoyed the humour between Eastwood and Reynolds, but aside from that, it was rather disapointing...
 Poor storyline, not so great casting, forgetable characters. But you know, I guess Ill watch it again to give it another chance, since I feel Eastwood films require at least 2 viewings to grow on me properly ;D
So anyways, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on City Heat were. Any fans of it?
 :D
Misty

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
harryheath44

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 04:27:10 PM »

I can stomach City Heat alot more than I can Paint your Wagon.   I enjoy the comedy between Clint and The Bandit and also enjoy the music.

Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 04:54:01 PM »

City Heat was garbage. I would rate that with Pink Cadillac as one of the big mistakes Clint did.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 09:43:30 PM »

Not a fan of City Heat Misty... One of Clints few (very few) films of no merit as far as I'm concerned. The on screen relationship between Clint and Burt never really ignites and the plot is convuluted and unfunny to say the least. This along with The Rookie and Dead Pool is probably a Clint movie I shall never re-visit.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 06:26:31 AM »

'Heat' is a modern classic.  I don't know how anybody could possibly bag it.   In my opinion it is  one of   De Niro's better recent performances. I didn't know Clint Eastwood was in it though  :-\.

OH, I see ::), you mean that film... *cough*...

Cheer up Misty, I hear it only takes 3 thousand years for DVD's to completely biodegrade back into the environment ;).

Seriously though, I haven't seen it for years, but it is one of  Eastwood's worst films IMO.  Still, if you want to build up a collection, I say it should be warts and all ;D.

WKC.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 06:27:33 AM by wkc » Logged

Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 01:34:57 PM »

:o eerrmm  i  liked it  :o

Dont stone me or ban me will you  ;D.

I really did like this film "not his best i have to admit / far from it" but it was funny in parts and i have it in my growing collection  ;D

I tried being reasonable,
I didn't like it.
FallenHero

Ain't never kissed my horse

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 03:42:52 PM »

City Heat was indeed dire, along with Pink, but to throw Paint in is a little rash. I liked it.      
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 04:57:18 PM »

Christopher, you must be slipping... a thread where someone said they didn't like Paint Your Wagon and I don't see a post from you defending it!  Come on, man... don't let me down here. That's become one of the few sure things in life that I can look forward to.  ;D

As for the point of this thread... Misty, I'm really sorry you had to pick this one for one of your first Eastwood DVDs. Maybe you should have done a poll like Grandpa Chum... no one would have voted for City Heat. It's at the bottom of the Eastwood barrel.  :-[
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 05:04:41 PM »

I think I've seen so many of those posts, I don't always pay much attention. Afterall, it sounds like from FallenHero's post, that he liked it as well. He's making my job a little easier. ;D

It's been a really long time since I've seen City Heat. I remember that I wasn't too impressed with it back when I saw it. But get this: my local video store (Family Video) has City Heat in a section labeled "Favorites" (and I should probably add that not all of their Eastwood movies is in this section).
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 06:17:48 PM »

As some of you who have been here a while may recall, City Heat isn't at the top of my list either.  I do, however, enjoy the scene in the cafe where Murphy (Burt Reynolds) is fighting with several other men and can't seem to get Lt. Speer (Eastwood) too interested in helping him out.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2003, 01:13:25 AM »

As some of you who have been here a while may recall, City Heat isn't at the top of my list either.  I do, however, enjoy the scene in the cafe where Murphy (Burt Reynolds) is fighting with several other men and can't seem to get Lt. Speer (Eastwood) too interested in helping him out.

Actually, mgk, your description of that scene does ring a bell and puts a smile on my face.

Whaddya know, a pleasant memory from 'City Heat' :o.

WKC.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 01:14:12 AM by wkc » Logged

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 07:07:20 AM »

Well City Heat surely is not a great Eastwood or Reynolds film but there`s enough good scenes(like the one mgk mentioned) that makes it fun to watch...at least once in three years ;D
Rhastus

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 08:33:13 AM »

I just got it on DVD for Christmas. I think I have only seen it once before that. Overall not very good, but it did have a few funny moments
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 02:17:56 PM »

I got a Best Buy gift card for Christmas, what do you think, should I get City Heat with it? ::)

Or better yet, Paint Your Wagon? ;)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 12:30:22 PM »

Hey Christopher,why not The Rookie or Pink Cadillac ??? ;D
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 02:08:15 AM »

The rookie  :o

I didn't like it.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 02:19:24 AM »

The rookie  :o

The last time I saw this movie, and this is no joke, was in the theater with my dad in '90... ;D
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 02:22:05 AM »

This is one of the few films of clints i have on "video"  :-[
But i last saw this film about 7 years ago  :o  maybe i should warm up the video again  ;)

I didn't like it.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 03:09:06 PM »

maybe i should warm up the video again  ;)
Because of The Rookie ???No you should not ;D
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 03:30:42 PM »

Maybe your right hemlock  :P I did start watching " city heat " again today, i say did as i got bored after 10 mins and watched " white hunter black heart "

I didn't like it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T