News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAGNUM FORCE: Audience Reaction 4: Your Overall Feeling  (Read 4760 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:03:21 AM »

What is your overall feeling about this film? How would you rate it in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's films? Where would you rank it among the five "Dirty Harry" films?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 02:03:09 PM »

Out of the Dirty Harry sequels, it's between Magnum Force and The Enforcer that ranks as my favorite. I guess it changes between those.

I guess here's an interesting thing to note. For Christmas, my brother had asked me what our Dad's favorite Eastwood western was, so he could get it for him. I told him The Outlaw Josey Wales, which is true. After my dad had gotten his gift, I asked him what his favorite Eastwood movie was in general. He said Magnum Force was up there pretty high.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 12:35:56 AM »

It was the first ďHarry movieĒ I viewed.  When I first saw the movie when I was probably eight or nine my first thought was repulsion at the violence.  I still to this day think that Magnum Force is one of the most violent flicks Iíve ever seen and Iím sure that has to deal with the fact that I saw it a young age.  Keep in mind that that was before the slasher flicks kicked in but still I was shocked.  I guess at that age you start to realize that people are capable of just about anything.  I remember saying to myself after seeing it, man thatís the most violent thing Iíve ever seen.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 10:03:57 AM »

That reminds me of the first time I ever saw Magnum Force myself. I was young too, probably around the age as D'Amb was. I know I was around five when I saw Sudden Impact, but that was the TV edited version. Magnum Force was probably the first R-rated movie I ever saw. My dad had taped it off of HBO or something like that, but it was my brother that I watched the movie with. I remember we watched the opening scene in slow motion when the guy gets shot in the head at point blank range.

(Don't worry though, my brother and I both turned out normal ;))
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 12:45:31 PM »

I`ve got special feelings to this film.It was one of the first Eastwood films that I saw in theatre and it was the first one that wasn`t a western.Actually it was a first Dirty Harry-film for me also.
Anyway I liked it back then when I was about 11 years old and I like it today.
I think it`s a good sequel to Dirty Harry even if it`s not as good as the first one was.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 08:45:38 PM »

I've always liked Magnum Force and actually it was in the top ten until a little movie called Mystic River came along. Damn you River for being so good!!  ;D

Anyways, I've liked this one and it's a sequel that's not terrible, like most are. However, after this one, well now that's where it all went downhill.
grandpa_chum

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 01:51:34 AM »

I love magnum force... other than the original dirty harry movie this is definitly the best cop movie i've seen... i'd even go as far to say that magnum force is the original's equal, i couldn't say one was better than the other. now none of the harry movies IMO can even compare to some of eastwoods westerns, but the first two at least come close... i watched the harry movies in succesion, even though it was over 30 years after their releases, and after seeing dirty harry and magnum force i expected the same from the enforcer and on... but enforcer and deadpool were two of the worst movies i've ever seen.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 06:53:24 AM »

As far as the sequels go, I like "the enforcer" more than "magnum force" but then I guess Itc because I just Really Really like "the enforcer" ;)
Magnum force is a great Eastwood film, its funny , entertaining without beeing too over the top and I have to admit that it's ending is waay better than the enforcer's ;)
All in all a really cool film, probably somewhere up there in my top ten, if not, well in my top 15, at the very least  :)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »

Magnum Force is the best of the sequels , it manages to present a clear definition of the character of Harry Callaghan and at the same time delivering an interesting and entertaining plot .

« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 05:35:42 AM by Bill W » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 06:02:14 AM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 08:50:01 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »

A solid follow up to the original Dirty Harry. I'd place it third out of the five Harry films, behind Dirty Harry & The Enforcer.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T