News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAGNUM FORCE: Audience Reaction 2: Harry's Appeal to Women  (Read 3131 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:05:02 AM »

Every woman likes to think there's somebody who's terribly talented at taking care of the situation. Women don't want the male species emasculated. By and large, women want equality but they want the difference between the sexes. In the basic animal kingdom, man was the protector and that's still the dream people have. Dirty Harry had no romance in it, but there was concern for a victim who was a woman. I think the romance in the film was that women would say, "I wish somebody would show that kind of concern for me if that happened."
(Clint Eastwood, from "The Most Powerful Movie Actor in the World: He'll Blow Your Head Clean Off!" by Joseph McBride, Bijou, April 1977, p. 57)

How do you women feel about the romantic notion that Harry Callahan is a character who is not only a protector, but is gentle enough to be that "somebody" who shows you the concern you would want if you were in a similar circumstance? Is this the type of person you would want around during a crisis period in your life? Why or why not?
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 09:36:47 PM »

Do you think we can clone him? ;)  I can't imagine anything any better than to have a "Dirty Harry" around during a crisis.  It's always nice to have someone strong around to lean on when chaos is rampant.  It feels good to have a "protector."  However, I'm not sure that feeling is limited to just us women.  It would seem to me that men wouldn't mind having someone strong around during a crisis either.  If not a "Dirty Harry," maybe even a woman..... :o

And, it would definitely be a bonus if "he" was gentle enough to be that "somebody" who shows you the concern you would want if you were in a similar circumstance.  Stength and gentleness.......nice combination.   :-*
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 02:05:01 PM »

If not a "Dirty Harry," maybe even a woman..... :o
You mean like a "Dirty Mary?"  ;)

Yes, I see what you're saying, and it's always nice to have a shoulder to lean on. In most cases though, it's my shoulder that's being leaned upon. But it's nice to have a strong woman around for support at times. Not in the physical sense, of course (my woman's strong enough as it is...she can pack a wallop - believe me). No doubt, we guys need supportive women, that's for sure. And if they happen to pack a .44 Magnum in their purse, all the better!

Well, on second thought....

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 06:03:07 AM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T