News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAGNUM FORCE: Acting 4: Felton Perry's Performance  (Read 4051 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:38:03 AM »

What do you think of the casting of Felton Perry as Harry's partner, Early Smith? What do you like about his performance? Is there anything about his performance that you dislike?
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 04:19:24 PM »

Nope, there wasn't really anything I disliked about Perry's performance. Given what appeared to be a limited, two-dimensional role of playing Early the cop. I think basically all he could do was read his lines and just act the part best he could.  

I think Early was a little "stiffer" and serious than Chico, Harry's first partner. Chico seemed a little more laid back, and displayed some humor even in serious situations. But I won't focus on Santoni's performance.

I have to question IMDB's birthdate for Perry - 1955? That means he would've been only 17 or 18 when Magnum Force was made! Unless he aged quickly,  I'd say that is a boo-boo.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 04:22:14 PM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 07:23:39 PM »

I have to question IMDB's birthdate for Perry - 1955? That means he would've been only 17 or 18 when Magnum Force was made! Unless he aged quickly,  I'd say that is a boo-boo.
Good catch ... if that were right, he'd have been fourteen when he made his screen debut as a "black militant" in Medium Cool (1969) ... and he played a "cab driver" and a "boxer" in two 1972 films; he'd have been sixteen or seventeen when they were made.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 07:21:57 PM »

That would really suck if the IMDb messed up your birthday!

I like Perry's performance in this film. In some of these sequel's, Harry's partner has the thankless job, as Agent mentioned. Chico had a little more to do, and Tyne Daly would have more stuff to do as well in The Enforcer, but Perry still pulls off what's necessary in his performance as Early. At least he has a better part in this than Popwell did in Sudden Impact.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 07:27:35 PM »

Agent summed up how I feel pretty well. I didn't dislike anything about his character or his performance, but then again... there wasn't a lot to like about it either. It was a pretty run-of-the-mill part, nothing too exciting about it. It was performed well enough, but for the most part, I'd say his character was pretty forgetable.  :-\
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 07:31:39 PM »

At least he has a better part in this than Popwell did in Sudden Impact.

He did have a bigger part, but I do enjoy Popwell as Horace King loads more. And he gave us "JAMF" (which Eastwood said is his favorite curse word in the In the Actors' Studio interview  ;D ) Horace doesn't have many scenes, but I really love that target shooting scene.

I can't think of a particularly memorable exchange between Early and Harry... or even a really memorable scene.  ???
cottm

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 03:24:21 PM »

I went to the University of Chicago with Felton Perry in the '60s. He's about a year older than me, and I was born in 1946. Do the math.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 03:48:43 PM »

Thanks, cottm ... perhaps the "1955" in the IMDb is an error for "1945." That sounds about right.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 06:10:23 AM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T