News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAGNUM FORCE: Acting 3: David Soul's Performance  (Read 4619 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:38:40 AM »

Before he landed the role of Officer John Davis on Magnum Force, most of David Soul's acting career consisted of guest appearances on such shows as I Dream of Jeannie, Star Trek, Love, American Style, The Streets of San Francisco, Marcus Welby, M.D., Ironside and Gunsmoke. It was Soul's performance in Magnum Force that got the attention of producer Joseph T. Naar when he was casting for the one hour television cop drama Starsky and Hutch, a role which would launch Soul's career as one of the most successful television actors of the 70's.

What do you think of Soul's performance as Officer Davis? What are your favorite scenes of his in the film? If you've watched Soul as Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson in Starsky and Hutch, what specifically about his performance in Magnum Force do you think caught the eye of Naar and helped him land the career-making role of "Hutch"?
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »

Character-wise, I can't think of any similarities between  Davis & Hutchinson. About the only thing I can see that might have caught the attention of Naar was perhaps the compassion and human side that Davis displayed toward Carol McCoy at the airport, although it was all pretense. Or perhaps during the shooting range scene where he and his lethal buddies were in a light mood, somewhat laid back and shooting the breeze with Callahan. That's about the only time you see him smiling.

I miss Soul's performances on the screen. Last I heard he was singing in a band.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 02:26:14 PM »

Don't worry Agent, he has a cameo in the new Starsky & Hutch movie.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 03:53:06 PM »

Is that right? That'll be interesting. I wonder if he'll be teamed with Glaser?

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 04:46:32 PM »

Yep. Apparently they play car dealers.  :-\
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 06:51:02 AM »

David Soul is not a strong actor in my opinion but you can add a uniform to a person and they can look stronger , this was the case in Magnum Force.

The difference in his Starsky & Hutch role was that he played a plain clothes detective . His personality had to shine through . His looks made more inpact . A very different role to the Magnum Force beat cop . Its difficult to equate the two but perhaps that sympathtic moment in Magnum Force was enough to tie the two types together. He looks approachable at least in the public view.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 07:24:22 AM by Bill W » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 06:10:40 AM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T