News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAGNUM FORCE: Acting 2: Hal Holbrook's Performance  (Read 3421 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:41:25 AM »

On stage your job as actor is to present and show the story by your behavior, body language, and vocal work. In film, you mustn't. You just have to be. You are...and it's mostly intuitive. The amount of characterization you do is very minimal. In fact, you try not to act at all. It's actually better that way, and it's taken me years to learn that.
(Hal Holbrook, quoted on the website ClassicSciFi.com)

A veteran of stage, screen, and television, Holbrook has won numerous awards for his stage work and television performances. According to his quote above, Holbrook's minimalist acting style in films seems very much in line with Eastwood's.

Do you see evidence of this minimalist acting style in Holbrook's performance as Lieutenant Briggs? Is he believable in all aspects of the role? What do you like about his performance? What about his performance, if anything, do you dislike?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 03:53:18 PM »

How can you go wrong with Hal Holbrook...  I think he was cast great in this picture.  I like what he says about acting in movies opposed to the stage.  He's right.  The more relaxed and natural you are the more realistic.  Stage and TV (most tv)  are more of "putting on a performance"  than trying to act natural or real.  I;ve always liked him and he plays such a bastard in this film you just love to hate him...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 04:01:57 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 06:41:25 AM »

Great performance all over.
I love Magnum Force but I think it would have missed that little special something if someone else had been chosen as lt. Briggs. I think he just offered a great and convincing performance  :D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 10:23:15 AM »

I have followed Hal Holbrooks career with great interest . He gives a good deal of gravitas to his performances . In Magnum Force his scenes with Clint are especially good .

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 07:30:28 AM by Bill W » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 01:09:33 PM »

He was pretty good, I wouldn't say he did anything wrong. Or anything that I could point out that was bad. He did a good job of trying to hide that he was involved with the "Death Sqaud" and I suppose it would be when Harry realizes that he is involved that we all realize as well, thank God. If we found out earlier, then where's the excitement?  ???
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:22:13 PM by Brendan » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 06:11:01 AM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T