News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account setup.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thunderbolt & Lightfoot  (Read 2131 times)
Golgo_13

Email
« on: December 31, 2003, 03:17:36 PM »

I've always thought this was a great film.  I especially liked the scene where Clint and the George Kennedy character get temporary jobs as ice cream truck venders before hitting Montana Armor.  They drive up to some kid and asks if he'd like some ice cream.  The kid replies that he's waiting for another ice cream truck because that one has a better flavor of pistacchio.

To which George Kennedy answers, "Hey kid, why don't you go f@#k a duck!"
FallenHero

Ain't never kissed my horse

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 03:45:42 PM »

Went to see it with a new girlfriend (our first date) nearly thirty years ago. Will never forget it. Brings back lots of memories. Film wasnt bad either   :)
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 10:22:07 PM »

Welcome to the board, Golgo_13! Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is a big favorite around here. I only have a small quibble with your post ...

I've always thought this was a great film. I especially liked the scene where Clint and the George Kennedy character get temporary jobs as ice cream truck venders before hitting Montana Armor.  They drive up to some kid and asks if he'd like some ice cream.  The kid replies that he's waiting for another ice cream truck because that one has a better flavor of pistacchio.

To which George Kennedy answers, "Hey kid, why don't you go f@#k a duck!"
I just wanted to mention that it's Goody (Geoffrey Lewis) who gets the job as the ice cream vendor. Red, the George Kennedy character, joins him on one of his tours of duty. "Thunderbolt" (Eastwood) isn't present in the scene. I agree that it's a very funny scene.  ;)
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 07:09:50 AM »

I love this film... very funny in parts, some great one liners  ;D.
The acting isnt bad eather  ;)

I tried being reasonable,
I didn't like it.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 08:29:49 AM »

One of my all time favourites . The whole film is just terrific  from the top notch acting to the beautiful scenery , it's pure class  . I saw it in the mid 70's as a double bill with Way Of The Dragon ......... ah ! the good old days .
Manco66

Feeling lucky!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 08:35:35 AM »

For those who also likte the Firebird Lightfoot stole in that movie. Here it is:
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/73lot1.htm ;D
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

Nice car ~ almost as good as mine ;)

I tried being reasonable,
I didn't like it.
Golgo_13

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 02:09:34 PM »

KC,

Thanks for the reminder.  Yes, THunderbolt worked at some steel shop.

ANother scene I liked was when the 4 guys were hanging out at night and Lightfoot talks about how there was a woman by the window stark naked where he was working.  George Kennedy says "What d'you do about it?"  Lightfoot covers Kennedy's mouth with his hand and kisses it.  Kennedy goes berserk.   ;D
El Gringo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 10:52:49 PM »

Yes, beautiful cinematography.  

Didn't Jeff Bridges win best supporting actor nomination of '74 in this film?  I've always liked the on-screen chemistry between Clint and Bridges.  Too bad they never wanted to work in another film again.

I liked the scene in the schoolhouse, after chasing out the tourists, when they're just sitting there wondering what they were going to do next.  Clint then gets up and proceeds to the blackboard.  He carefully takes it off with his belt-buckle and then starts to peel apart the wall behind it.  To their surprise, the money is still there.  Intact, after being hidden in that wall all those years.

I also loved that big white Eldorado they were driving on that road when they're smoking their Cigars near the end.  Too bad Lightfoot didn't make it though.  Classic 70's style type ending.

I remember reading somewhere that Clint used to drive that same '73 Firebird used in T&L around for his personal use back in the late 70's early 80's.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 11:13:08 PM by El Gringo » Logged

"...your mouthwash ain't makin' it!"
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 11:13:56 PM »

Didn't Jeff Bridges win best supporting actor nomination of '74 in this film?  
He did indeed receive a nomination, but he didn't win. (Robert De Niro did, for The Godfather: Part II).

I remember reading somewhere that Clint used to drive that same '73 Firebird used in T&L around for his personal use back in the late 70's early 80's.  I wonder if he still has it?  

Not according to this post in the "Vehicles in Eastwood Films" thread ...
Here are the actual Firebird used in Thunderbolt & Ligthfoot. Cool licensplate  ;D
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/73lot1.htm

According to the link Manco66 posted ...
This picture was sent in by Chris Batson and is a picture of the Trans Am used in the movie "Thunderbolt And Lightfoot". Clint Eastwood was the big star in this movie and the car was actually purchased from him personally by the current owner. The owner, who hails from South Dakota, handles a lot of stars cars. He is the owner and publisher of the Deals On Wheels magazine, and the owner of The Performance Car Museum in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where he displays the majority of his collection.
The site won't allow the direct linking of pictures. Click on the link in the quote from Manco66's post to see the images of the car.
El Gringo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 11:40:46 PM »

Thanks KC.

I can't believe he used to drive that '73 Firebird T/A around going to the post office and such back then.  Wasn't he afaid of being mobbed or something? I mean he was pretty well known even back then.   That sure must have been a different era because I really couldn't imagine him doing that these days.LOL!

I think I read somwhere that he likes to drives around in an old PU truck too.  However, I think maybe he probably only does that mostly around his ranch these days.  Can you imagine being at a stoplight in Carmel, and you see Mr. Eastwood (THE LEGEND) sitting in an old PU truck right next to you? Yikes!

Correction:  I think it was a "red" Cadillac Eldorado he used at the end of T&L.  For some reason, I always think it's a white one.  

"...your mouthwash ain't makin' it!"
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 12:25:44 AM »

Looks white to me!

It's definitely not pink, leastways! ;)

It does have a red interior. That's probably what you're remembering!  ;)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 12:28:32 AM by KC » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T