News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Gauntlet Revolver  (Read 4263 times)
argonaut1

Magnum Fan

View Profile Email
« on: January 09, 2004, 03:42:06 AM »

My buddies and watched the Gauntlet last night on DVD and can't figure out what Smith & Wesson Clint is carrying in his role as Ben Shockley?  I at first thought it was a Model 66 .357, but the butt is visibly square, and the cylinder holes look to at least be a .41 MAG.  Could it be a 657 square butt?, any help on this one will be greatly appreciated, were all stumped?

Happy New Year to all!
John Omohundro

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 06:59:10 AM »

argonaut1:

According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, Twenty-First Edition, by S.P. Fjestad, the Smith & Wesson Model 657 was introduced in 1986, nine years AFTER the release of THE GAUNTLET.

I'm not certain, but I think the revolver in question was, as you said, a Smith & Wesson  Model 66 .357 Magnum with a 2.5" barrel.

Another possibility would be one of the custom short-barrelled heavy magnums that were developed by several custom shops (such as the various modifications of the Model  29 .44 Magnum with 2.5" or 3" barrel and a rounded-off butt), but I think that those are also more recent developments.

The same book lists the stainless-steel Model 629 .44 Magnum as new in 1978, although the 100 or so revolvers made that year were listed as "pre-production" models, i.e., they were, in essence, hand-made. There was a variant called the "Lew Horton Special" (after a famous distributor of sporting goods) which had a 3" barrel and a rounded-off butt. It's possible that Eastwood, as "Ben Shockley", was carrying one of these. (Unfortunately, the Blue Book of Gun Values, Twenty-First Edition[/i], which I mentioned above, doesn't give a year of introduction for that model.)

--John Omohundro
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 07:03:27 AM by John Omohundro » Logged
argonaut1

Magnum Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 09:58:21 AM »

Hey Thanks, I'm still looking for good data on the Gauntlet Revolver, I held a Model 66 last night and it still looks too small?, however my eyes may be too small too! Many Thanks!

Argonaut1
BigAl

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 07:12:15 PM »

Haven't seen this film for a while but from what I can remember the gun was a 66 with a 2.5" barrel.  Certainly wasn't a Horten Special as these were made in the mid eighties, the best gun I ever owned in the good old days when we were allowed hanguns, sigh. :(
Kal Varnsen

Looking for Jimbo, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 04:31:38 PM »

I'll also go with the 2.5" Model 66. Here's a shot from the movie:

BigAl

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 06:11:49 PM »

Well looking at that picture I can definately tell you that is the Smith & Wesson Model 66 with a 2.5" barrel.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T