News: See Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, in theaters December 13!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint's DVD's - Why so featuresless??  (Read 4641 times)
tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« on: January 21, 2004, 09:59:49 AM »

Most of Clint's film are great.
I suppose that almost every film of his is out now on DVD.

But howcome do they have this lack of features??

I sure miss audio commentary, deleted scenes, behind the scenes featuette, brand-new documentaries and more.

Yes, I know that some DVD's are avaliable as special editions (Dirty Harry, Josey Wales, Misty, Line of Fire and soon GBU).
But as superb the Unforgiven 10th anniversary 2-disc is (my favourite Movie AND DVD), it still lacks audio commentary from Clint and deleted scenes.

Maybe there are no delected scenes avaliable anywhere because of Clint's dedication and method of filming, there simply are no "extra" scenes shot during filming?
I know that Clint only shoot a few takes and generally shoot only the scenes he has preperred and figures in the screenplay.

Even though I really like the Dirty Harry, Misty, Josey Wales and Unforgiven special editions, I feel that there could be more features.

And concerning all the new featureless DVD releases: No features = No possibility to go "into" the film and get and idea of what the filmmakers where thinking at the time = No idea in purchasing the DVD's without features.

Just my humble oppinion. Anyone agree?

Tekker
Denmark
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 10:15:47 AM »

Hi Tekker,

I think Clint has no interest in doing commentaries (sadly).  As for extras, there are plenty they could use, as Philo will no doubt tell you if he reads this thread.

Why no extras?  

The studio are cheapskates?  Probably.

They are going to re-release these films again a few times before giving us decent SE's to get multiple sales from us fans who couldn't wait for the 'best' edition?  Probably.

WKC.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 10:41:23 AM »

I know with some of the companies, like Warner Brothers and MGM, they don't usually have a lot of special stuff on their discs, except for special occasions. Even my non-Eastwood titles I own on DVD from those film companies lack any major features.

However, I still see your point. I own the two-disc versions of Unforgiven and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - both brought out at the same time by WB. There's a few short documentaries on the Unforgiven disc, which is fine, but the new Cuckoo's Nest documentary done for that disc was a bit more in depth. And they have deleted scenes as well on the disc.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 02:45:16 PM »

Maybe becuase there just isn't a huge market for Eastwood DVD's. Sure people would buy Dirty Harry and Unforgiven, but those are classics. It's really only his true fans, like us, who would buy all the other movies.

Going along with what Christopher said, it is true that most WB DVD's aren't loaded with special features, like what FOX and New Line do. Why would they waste their time and resources putting something together that won't be a major seller?

I'm sick and tired of the "double dipping" crap, so I'm just going to buy the ones that are out now, and if Warners does release special editions later on down the road, I won't be interested.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 03:03:36 PM »

actually in a sale clint films go pretty quickly regardless but people aren't generally looking for extras and wouldn't know the different releases that have taken place - so they just buy whats out there
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 03:04:35 PM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 03:40:34 PM »

Well on top of the 'double-dipping,' new-improved editions,, SE's, blah blah - now the HD-DVD is becoming the new standard, they just have to agree on a format. So looks like our old, soon to be obsolete DVDs will be a thing of the past.

And just when I was really building up my DVD collection... :'(

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »

What exactly is HD-DVD?

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 04:50:09 PM »

"High-Definition" DVD, same as HDTV.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 05:47:40 PM »

As far as I know Agent, the HD-DVD players will still be able to play the "old school" DVD's.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 06:19:44 PM »

Yes that's true. It's the discs themselves that will phase out, being replaced by the newer HD-DVDs. Interestingly, Warner Bros isn't in a hurry to go full-swing into the blue-laser format (which can hold up to 15 GB on a single layer), but have proposed their own "new compression" method, using old (or actually current) DVD facilities. Only thing about that is, using the current  format only holds 4.7 GB (single layer). It's the cheap way to go, and knowing WB, they'd probably stick to using the old cardboard snap cases as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 06:32:10 PM by Agent » Logged

Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 08:57:45 PM »

and knowing WB, they'd probably stick to using the old cardboard snap cases as well.

Yeah, those cases are horrible. I have a couple of WB DVD's and those cases are pretty easy to mess up. I just bought  "Falling Down" last week released by WB and it doens't close right anymore, the  ???"snappy thing" ??? is crooked already. They should use plastic cases like the other normal companies do...WB :sigh:

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 10:28:21 PM »

I thought Warners already switched over to the plastic cases? My Terminator 3 DVD is in a plastic case, thank God. Or is it just selected releases that get the plastic treatment?
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 05:05:23 AM »

Hi Brendan And Agent.

My two cents...

I don't think they will bring HD DVD in for quite a while yet.  As I understand it they have had this option since as far back as 1997 at least.  I think they are going to milk the DVD cow for several years to come before bringing it in as a mainstream media.

WKC.

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 06:43:24 AM »

hi wkc -

I know a DVD "forum" was formed in 1997, consisting of members of over 200 companies to decide on standard formats and such, but as far as HD-DVD, the pursuit of the new standard was first announced roughly end of 2002. On the HDDVD.org site, they are saying we can expect HD-DVD content to be here as early as 2004, or more likely 2005-2006.

At least that will give us more time to build up our soon-to-be-obsolete collection.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 10:55:55 AM by Agent » Logged

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 10:31:44 PM »

From an online chat with Warner Home Video execs on March 8th done by Home Theatre Forum:

[andrewmoore] Big Clint Eastwood fan is there any chance that you will re-release them?

[warnerbros] Clint Eastwood films have all been released to Mr. Eastwood's specs. No plans to revisit.

Here is the complete transcript.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 01:04:29 PM »

Well that answers that .

I'm sorry but I still do question Clint Eastwood's involvement with his film's released for home viewing.

I think he is being advised..... and badly. >:( >:(

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Inspector71

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 10:44:05 AM »

I was watching something with film critics Roper & Ebert and they maintain that most films made before the 1980's probably wouldn't have out-takes or deleted scenes on today's DVDs because when studios edited films and scenes were cut and ended up on the proverbial "cutting room floor", they went from there to the trash - nobody said, "hey in 20 years we're gonna need those out-takes for DVDs"  ;D

You heros have read a dozen posts here this week...what're ya gonna do next week?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 02:43:54 PM »

Damn...... >:(

Jeeesh Philo.. looks like I'm gonna have to get those poxy Legends sets after all...... >:( >:(

>:(

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 09:29:09 PM »

I hate those sets.

Inspector you are quite correct in what you say about outakes, but there is enough other promotional material to do a decent release but nobody seems to bother.

If what we hear from Eastwood's side is true , then they are not even trying.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 12:25:47 AM »

Sorry if I'm straying off topic a little here..... but. I see that the films I want to own, Honkytonk Man, Tightrope and White Hunter Black Heart are available in region 1 editions, so I guess the answer would be to buy a multi region player. Is it as simple as that..?

I agree.. those sets look poor...

And unbelivable as it seems..is it possible that there just isn't enough interest from Clints dvd buying public to warrant Warners making more of an effort with extras etc.. I find this difficult to believe as there is soooooo much drivel coming out on dvd now.. Surely theres a market for well thought out Eastwood releases..?

Waddya think ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 12:28:24 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T