News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special Edition May '04  (Read 30254 times)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 24, 2004, 09:56:18 PM »

MGM Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Collector's Edition for 18th May 2004 with a retail price of $29.98. Sergio Leone's classic spaghetti western starring Clint Eastwood as the man with no name has been fully restored with an additional 18 minutes of footage for this two-disc collector's edition that will boast the following line-up of features...
Extended 3-Hour Version
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Digitally Remastered With English 5.1 Audio
Italian Mono
English, French, Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin subtitles
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Schickel
“Leone’s West” Making-of Documentary
“The Leone Style” Documentary on Sergio Leone
“The Man Who Lost the Civil War” Civil War Documentary
“Reconstructing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” Featurette on the Audio Re-recording
“Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” Featurette on Composer Ennio Morricone
Deleted Scenes, Poster Gallery, Collectible Postcards and More!

Same thing and a nice shot of the cover artwork here on this site... http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=3885&mode=&order=0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 10:01:11 PM »

;D
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 10:15:58 PM »

ZING ZANG ZOOM!! Time to shell out more cash for yet another double dip. Boo-yah!! Keep 'em coming!! I love spending twice the amout of money for one movie!! It rocks!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 10:16:40 PM by Brendan » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 10:30:22 PM »

I wonder if they will do the other two with the same treatment?  It seems that they just want to milk all they can out of you...  As long as they come out with Special Editions that are worthy of buying, I'll buy 'em but it does kind of tick me off that you have to buy the movie twice to get it right... :-\

I am excited about this release however.  I will be shelling out the thirty bucks without batting an eyelash. :D
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 10:54:25 PM »

I wonder if they will do the other two with the same treatment?  It seems that they just want to milk all they can out of you...  As long as they come out with Special Editions that are worthy of buying, I'll buy 'em but it does kind of tick me off that you have to buy the movie twice to get it right... :-\

I am excited about this release however.  I will be shelling out the thirty bucks without batting an eyelash. :D

I am generally dirty about the way the studios milk the fans but in the case of GBU this is a genuine restoration of a film which in my opinion warrants a re-release on DVD.  There will now be two versions available, and I am happy to own both of them.  In fact I would be dissatisfied if I only had the extended restored version, because the original US release is a legit and important version.

The fact that the sequels were not originally released anamorpically enhanced whereas GBU was is another matter though, because they new what they were doing there :(.

WKC.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 10:55:30 PM by wkc » Logged

brega

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 11:38:41 PM »

I hope that the french version is part of this speciale edition dvd, because it is the best version. It was under the direction of Sergio Leone himself !
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:02:36 AM »

And I just bought the trilogy 2 weeks ago!  :-[ If one of youbuys it tell me if it's good enough to shell out $30 for  ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:02:59 AM by Dannyman » Logged

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 12:07:20 AM »

I hope that the french version is part of this speciale edition dvd, because it is the best version. It was under the direction of Sergio Leone himself !
??? Do you mean that Leone supervised the dubbing?
brega

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 01:17:21 AM »

Yes, Leone supervised the french dubbing of all is movies. They are all very high quality dubbings
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 04:16:39 AM »

Looks like i will be getting another dvd soon  ;D

Lets hope it's worth every penny

I tried being reasonable,
I didn't like it.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 08:54:30 AM »

Not very keen on the cover of the box, I don't like the font used, the original one was a classic.

The italians get the original mono soundtrack, however I can't complain as much as I would on account of them not even considering a mono english track.

Extras remain to be seen, I hope by the word more they will include a selection of trailers. No mention of them so far. :P  when they include deleted scenes what are they talking about? The ones now put in film .... what a cop out.

If you are going to include so called deleted scenes in your extras then it should be the footage that was being restored for the Italian long version.

If you all remember there were two restorations being undertaken.

I will wait until it is cheap before buying .... not worth the full price.

Philo .  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:55:00 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 09:48:20 AM »

I had asked this before: does anyone know if the music for these scenes that were put back were from Morricone ?  Was the musci the original music, new music composed by Morricone, or new musci from another ?

(By the by, gwb is dead, long live gwb, pt. deux - computer problems...).
harryheath44

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »

DVD File is reporting date and specs for new restored GBU here:

http://dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2004/01_25.html

;D

Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.
masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 01:41:28 PM »

I wonder if the age rating will still be 18.
Also, I hope there is a UK realese aswell  :D
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 02:27:41 PM »

harryheath44 - I merged your topic about GBU with the one that was already started here in the Westerns section that D'Amb had started.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 05:49:45 PM »

If you all remember there were two restorations being undertaken.

Two?  Please elaborate Philo...  I know they were restoring the scenes that were only shown in the Italian release, with Clint and co redubbing their voices, but I wasn't aware of a second restoration project..

WKC.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 05:59:52 PM »

I will leave it to the mods to possibly find any posts about this.

If we get nothing I will tell you the little bit that I know.

Philo .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 06:00:16 PM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2004, 08:35:28 PM »

From IGN.com:

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2004, 10:25:46 PM »

I will leave it to the mods to possibly find any posts about this.

If we get nothing I will tell you the little bit that I know.

Philo .
Philo, I did a search on "Restoration" and all I could come up with was several threads on the latest (English-language) restoration. This is the one that re-integrates into the film the half-dozen scenes (with newly-dubbed English dialogue) that were presented as Italian-dubbed "Extras" on the original DVD, as well as a couple of brief scenes that weren't on that disc, also with newly-dubbed English dialogue.

This was the version that premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City last spring, and was subsequently shown ... once ... on AMC.

There was a restoration of the Italian-language version of the film that took place in 2000... is this the other restoration you're thinking of? I found a brief article about it on Cine Critica Web, site of the Sindacato Nazionale Critici Cinematografici Italiani ...

The gist of the Italian-language article is that the Cineteca Nazionale acquired an archival print of GBU in 1970, a complete print that testified to Leone's directorial intentions. In 1966, Leone had been obliged to cut about two and a half minutes from the scene of Wallace beating Tuco; he cut another 12 minutes in 1969, when he wanted to get the rating changed from "No children under 18" to "No children under 14," and this is the version that has circulated since in theaters and on TV.

The restoration, which premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2000, reintegrated all the frames that had been cut, restored the image and digitally "cleaned" the soundtrack, which was resynchronized with the image and remained in mono. Tonino Delli Colli, the original cinematographer, helped supervise the restoration.

The newly restored Italian version is 182 minutes long, which just about checks with the length of the original Italian release as I've seen it reported ... 180 minutes plus the two minutes of Tuco's beating that were deleted before release.

Looking around in my old files, I found a translation I made (and probably posted on the old Eastwood board) of a brief feature I'd found on the Web at the time of the Venice festival in 2000. I don't have the original link any more, but the original title was "Il Leone integrale," and the author is Domenico Monetti, who writes for Segnocinema, a monthly Italian film magazine.

Here is my translation of the article:

The Scuola Nazionale di Cinema is paying a double homage by lending to the Festival its restored copy of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY: Not only an ultimate tribute to Clint Eastwood, but also a recollection of Sergio Leone. The challenge of recovering the original edition of the famous western seemed impossible: "A thousand philological debates could be opened on the concept of original," explains Sergio Toffetti, the vice-director of the Cineteca Nazionale and co-editor of a volume (which will be presented together with the film), a fundamental testimony of this interesting philological undertaking.

"Thanks to the valuable aid of some of the protagonists of the era, we have sought to recover the version that would have been most satisfactory to Leone. Together with Delli Colli, the film's director of photography, and Ocone, who was responsible for editing for the producer Grimaldi, we have ascertained that the copy Leone deposited in '70 corresponds to the original edition, thanks to a comparison with a duplicate print and a negative conserved at Grimaldi Productions, partners in the restoration project."

The laboratory work at the Cineteca Nazionale was carried out by drawing from the existing materials of the original integral edition, new prints and new masters for preservation and duplication, with a process that took into consideration the photography and the color. The film was originally in Techniscope, an Italian version of Cinemascope: an Eastman negative on which the image was shot in shortened frames, of a length of only two perforations instead of four. On this occasion it was necessary to put back in order ancient machinery. "Usually," Toffetti continues, "in many restoration projects we remaster the soundtrack in Dolby, here we cleaned it and kept it in mono for the sake of philological fidelity." The cuts for the censors were done only on intermediate masters, but fortunately, they do not exist in the Cineteca's original edition. An integral Leone, then, not to be missed.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 05:34:45 AM »

So 2 and 1/2 minutes that never got released ever, until now.

That's clear.

The other 12 minutes that he cut in 69, that is meant to be the scenes that were missing from the popular English version which have now been restored and redubbed? ie the scenes that were shown as extras on the first DVD release? I take it the Italians lost those scenes in 69 as well then?  Or perhaps their prints never got cut in 69?

Sounds very good, pretty much a definitive directors cut.  It has a Lawrence of Arabia restoration quality to it.

I don't think there has ever been a re-released directors cut of a Clint film.

thanks KC.

WKC.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T