News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special Edition May '04  (Read 32969 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2004, 02:51:55 PM »

Eli played the liquor store owner, Lowell Looney. In the book he's described like this ...

Lowell Looney was about eighty years old and looked like he could beat Sean [Kevin Bacon's character] in a hundred yard dash. ... He moved around like he'd jump for the highest bottle behind the counter if you asked him to.

Perfect type casting ... The biggest laugh line in the film comes in this exchange:

SEAN: You remember his name? [The name of a man who robbed his store twenty years previously]

LOONEY: Do I look senile to you?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2004, 09:19:17 PM »

I found some hidden extras on the DVD, they all appear on disc 2, the special features disc. I looked over disc 1 but found nothing.

This one is a short interview with Eastwood as he discusses what it's like to go back to work after eating lunch.

This one features Eli Wallach and he mentions how horses must love him. At least I think he said horses.

Wallach again, and he mentions how Leone didn't want him to use a holster and demonstrated, with a hilarious outcome, how Tuco would hold his weapon all the time.

Wallach speaks about how Leone got an Italian actor to get mad for a take, and wished he did the same for him.

I found them using my mouse, but I guess you can just push the right arrow key on your DVD remote and it'll go over to them. Enjoy.  8)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »

Eli played the liquor store owner, Lowell Looney. In the book he's described like this ...Perfect type casting ...

Here's a production still of Eli in the film:

tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2004, 11:36:42 PM »

There IS an alternate ending, or at least there was, but I don't think Eastwood wants anyone to see it, ever ...  ;)

Care to elaborate a bit on that?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2004, 11:59:36 PM »

Care to elaborate a bit on that?

Sure ... we're talking about Unforgiven now, remember. In Peoples's original script, there was a brief homecoming scene for Munny and the kids. Eastwood filmed it and stills from it are reproduced quite often (one of them shows the scar-faced Munny embracing young Penny). But he decided not to use it in the final film. He also scrapped (presumably before filming it) an alternate ending he had asked Peoples to write for him, which had Delilah ending up on Munny's hog farm.

About the homecoming scene, he told David Breskin, who interviewed him for Rolling Stone in 1992:

It was a good scene. I could show it to you and you'd be the only person in the world to see it. It was a good scene but the movie was over. It seemed like it broke a mood.
(From a longer version of the interview published in Breskin's Inner Views, expanded ed., 1997, p. 387.)
tekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2004, 11:30:03 PM »

Thank you, KC.
I sure didn't know that!

Is there another topic on this elswere on this webboard?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2004, 05:48:55 AM »

Well, that's about all the information that's available, but if you'll do a search on "homecoming," you'll find a few other threads where it was mentioned. :)
Mr Soul

"It's no joke, Tuco. It's a rope."

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2004, 02:59:13 PM »

I just got my copy this weekend, and it's worth every penny!  It comes with two discs (one is the movie, and one is nothin' but extras!).  The extras disc is full of documentary and interview material, including a reconstruction of the missing Sorroco footage.  It also came with some really nice movie poster cards (which I'm having mounted and framed).  I was lucky enough to see this version on the big screen this past winter (it ran for a week at the Film Forum theater in NYC).  THAT was an experience!  Nice addition to my DVD collection.

"Hey, ho-Let's go!"-The Ramones
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2004, 06:00:35 PM »

Hope you don't mind that I merged your topic with one we had going on this new release, Mr. Soul. I'm curious though ... is it actually called the "30th Anniversary Edition" somewhere? Considering it was filmed in 1966, that's a bit late ...  ???
Sad Hill

Email
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2004, 08:07:38 PM »

Well, I have viewed this film 151,369 times or more and was excited to get the GB&U Special Edition set. Honestly, I am disappointed with the extra scenes. Although intriguing, they really do seem out of place...like they don't fit. The film was fine without them and Leone did a good job choosing the clips to get rid of when he was forced to. Especially the scene in the cave. Tuco seems out of character and also his voice sounds so different that it is very noticeable bordering distracting. The same for Blondie. There was something about his character also in the added scenes that seemed out of place and character. The special features though are fantastic and alone I would have paid the price to have them. I am so glad that this masterpiece of all time has finally gotten the attention that it deserved.  I can't imagine that it will ever be modified again. How can you improve on perfection?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2004, 08:11:13 PM »

Steve, thank you for honoring us with your views on this ... you HAVE to be the Number One GBU expert of all time.

Great to hear from you ... old friend.  8)
Sad Hill

Email
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2004, 08:19:56 PM »

Not the number one expert but maybe the number one fan  :)

I am much busier now than I was in the old days and don't get the time to surf and read as much as I did back then, but I never forget old friends, KC.

I wish I had known about the GB&U event (last year?), I would have loved to come out and hooked up with you guys. Er, what about Holden Pike? Is he....
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2004, 08:49:35 PM »

tekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2004, 04:01:25 PM »

Have now watched the GBU special edition 5 times (or more)...and I have just been confirmed that this is one of my absolute favourite movies!!

"They just don't make movies like that anymore" - as Sir Christopher frayling comments on the audio commentary for the OUATITW dvd.

HE IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!
Kiwi Cowboy

"Dying ain't much of a living boy"!

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2004, 07:49:08 PM »

I too only recently bought the dollars trigoly and was angry to find out of the release of the special edition GBU 2 disc.

Last week I managed to buy it for half price $20 new zeland dollars so that was a score.

I watched the 2nd disc first with all the doco's and was well informed.

Having watched the full length version, I have to say they have done a very good job of cleaning the image up and the sound track is now 5.1 instead of mono track.

I found the the missing scenes added the to the flow of the movie not so jumpy as before. but I found that the gun shots were quite modern sounding and after awhile it detracted from the movie abit.
Have you guys found this after watching?
your thoughts would be good.
But all in alll it is definatley the version to own,
with the 6 post cards and the booklet is a nice touch.
Lets hope that they give the other two movies the same treatment.

"In a time were life had no value, somtimes death had its price!!"
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2004, 08:07:09 PM »

I dpn't like the change of the sounds on the guns. I really love the way the older ones sound.  They shouldv'e just done a bit more editing and put a Glock or a Berreta in everyones hands.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2004, 10:19:31 AM »

I waited and was lucky to see this on the big screen on my trip to LA.

I was happy that this was a film restoration. There were still a lot of dirt and scratches which could be removed on a film to vt transfer for the dvd. I would bet however that this hasn't been done.

I was not happy with the sound mix.

As for the dubbing of the new footage I felt that Clint really was not directed as to the pitch of his voice needed. Even if he was unable to do what was required I would have thought they could have blended it better in post production. Eli Wallach was a little better and whoever dubbed Lee Van Cleef was very good, standing in for an actor that had one of the great voices.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T