News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to make a titled link  (Read 7069 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 05, 2004, 06:33:04 PM »

I made this post after a member asked how to make a link with a title, but it interrupted the flow of the thread, so I've moved it here to its own topic for anyone else who would like to know how to post a link with a title instead of posting the long URL address which sometimes skews the page.  Here goes....

When you're posting, you'll have two rows of buttons above your window that are called YABBC tags. The bottom row, second button is a globe, it's for making a link. But, it's not all that simple. All that really does is give you these tags:

[ url] [ /url]  

(I added a space after the first bracket of each tag so the codes would show up here)

Anyway.... what you have to do to make a title is then go into the first bracket, and after the letter "L" type an equal sign followed immediately (no space) with the URL. Immediately after the URL address, there will be the closing bracket for the first tag. Then, before the second tag starts, you type in the title of your link. You don't need to change the second tag at all.

So... if I was going to do a link with a title, it would look like this before I sent it to post (without the space after the starting brackets, of course)

[ url=http://eastwoodfilmposters.sphosting.com/index.html]Eastwood Film Poster Gallery[ /url]

And, when I remove the space, it works and looks like this:

Eastwood Film Poster Gallery

And I got to plug my site at the same time. ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 06:56:41 PM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »

You can also start by copying and pasting (or just typing) the title of your link. Then, select or "highlight" it with the mouse. Then, click the button. That will place the tags for you, then all you have to do is click in the [ url] tag before the closing bracket, type an equals sign, and copy and paste your URL.

For instance, you type or paste "Eastwood Film Poster Gallery" ... then highlight it ... and click the button. It will look like this (like Matt, I've put in a space after each opening bracket so you can see the code):
[ url]Eastwood Film Poster Gallery[ /url]

Then type your "=" and copy and paste the URL before that closing bracket in the opening tag, and it will look just like Matt's example.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:05:44 PM by KC » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 12:31:23 AM »

How do you go about putting a titled link in your signature box on the bottom of every post you have,please?The BBC tags aren't on the profile page like they are on the post reply page.á :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 12:35:03 AM by tgy » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 01:11:37 AM »

How do you go about putting a titled link in your signature box on the bottom of every post you have,please?The BBC tags aren't on the profile page like they are on the post reply page.  :)

Just type in: [*url=http://insert link here] titled link [/url] (NOTE: Do not put the asterisk in, I put that there so the formatting would show up but it is not needed!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 04:43:20 AM »

Thanks Brendan.My computer skills have improved immensely over the last few weeks with everyone's help.This is the best place on the web. O0

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 10:12:40 AM »

8) Thanks !

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himů" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 03:02:54 AM »

By accident I just discovered the website automatically creates hyperlinks now, you don't have to use the hyperlink button.  Of course, some website addresses are pretty long, so it's still a good idea to follow the advise previously given so that you're just creating a titled link and the address is hidden in the code, but if it's something simple like youtubes.com, then just put the www. in front of youtubes.com and you have created a link. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:24:39 AM »

Doug, I think the website always did that. It's just because some links are so long that you might want to use a "titled" link.

If a URL doesn't start with "www," like www.rottentomatoes.com ,  then just put in the "http:" at the beginning and it will be parsed automatically.

Like this:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/

So most of the time, you can just copy and paste the URL in your browser's address window, or right click on a link and select "Copy link location" (Firefox) or "Copy shortcut" (IE), then paste.

Just make sure there's a space on either side of the URL!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:58:06 AM »

KC, I wasn't sure if the site had always done it or not, but I was thinking in the past I'd seen a site written out as www. without it being a link.  But regardless, I didn't know the site had that feature, and it is a handy feature for typing out or pasting in short links.  For longer website addresses it's better to make it a titled link.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T