News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: his .45 Win. Mag Pistol ?  (Read 3385 times)
butch

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: March 05, 2004, 05:20:33 PM »

In one of his dirty harry movies he traded his .44 mag. S&W for a .45 Mag autoloader. Which movie was that ?

Thanks,
Butch
John Omohundro

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 07:09:35 PM »

Butch:

The film in question was the fourth of the (currently) five films in the DIRTY HARRY[/i] series, 1983's SUDDEN IMPACT.

Incidentally, the weapon was NOT a .45 Winchester Magnum. It was a .44 AutoMag, built out of parts left over from the original production run by Arcadia Machine & Tool (AMT) of California. (To the best of my knowledge, the only film to use anything resembling a .45 WinMag was 1985's DEATH WISH 3[/i], starring the late Charles Bronson. In that film, he carried a modified Wildey automatic pistol, chambered for a proprietary (i.e., available from no other manufacturer) cartridge called the .475 Wildey Magnum.)

There were actually TWO pistols used in the film, both .44 AMP caliber with 8.5" barrels. The first weapon, known as "CLINT 1", was set up for LIVE ammunition,  and was used in the sequence when Harry and Detective Horace King (the late Albert Popwell) did a little target shooting while they were discussing whether or not Harry was going to resign from the SFPD.
The second gun, known as "CLINT 2", was modified to fire blank cartridges, and was used by Mr. Eastwood, as Harry, in his final confrontation with Mick (Paul Drake).

Incidentally, if you can find a copy of it, GUNS & AMMO[/i] magazine had a cover article on the two pistols I just mentioned in their June, 1984 issue.

Hope this answers your questions. :)
butch

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 07:18:55 PM »

whoa BABY...do u know ur pistola's er what !

Many thanks

Butch
John Omohundro

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 02:24:10 PM »

Butch:

Flattery will get you EVERYWHERE.  ;)

Seriously, though, you're QUITE welcome. It was my pleasure, and I'm glad I could be of service.

Nice to know that all of the "useless trivia" which I can't seem to forget (blame it on a misspent youth; I read a lot, because I wasn't very disposed towards physical activities, i.e., sports and such, when I was younger) isn't ALWAYS useless....

--John Omohundro
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 02:26:47 PM by John Omohundro » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T