News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good,the bad, the ugly  (Read 10797 times)
john baldwin

the frenchie who likes Eastwood (like you)

View Profile Email
« on: March 09, 2004, 08:37:25 AM »

I find that "the good, the bad, the ugly" is the greatest western of the cinema. The first time I saw (I was 6 or 7 years old), I enjoy. Then, the second time (1 or 2 years later), I enjoy. Since I often watch this movie, and each time, I saw things that I had never seen, and I...enjoy. And I continu to watch this movie. Clint Eastwood is marvelous, and Elli Wallach (Tuco) and Lee Van Cleef (Sentenza) too. The only thing is bad in this movie is the end, because it's finish, so I'm sad  :'( . But I can watch again the movie, so it's well.
Talk me about your feellings about "The good,the bad, the ugly"...

You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:35:39 PM »

One word: Masterpiece
THE best westerns of all time, Morricone's great soundtrack

All three actors play brilliantly:

Eli Wallach (Tuco Benedito Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez)should have won an Oscar for that performance, and I always fool with the classic line "If you have to shoot..shoot! Don't talk!"

Lee Van Cleef (Angel Eyes) in a deadly role, mean looking, the perfect villain

Eastwood (Blondie) as cool and charismatic as ever, no one can play like him

There are no heroes, only antiheroes, capable of anything in order to remain alive.

Dust, sweat, flies...real western

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 09:35:00 AM »

Too beautiful for words, like that woman you just can't describe, except with the tears in your eyes, or that raw feeling in your gut.  The meaning of life is humbly hidden in this movie, in understated moments of sheer brilliance.  It stays with you.

WKC.

Tuco

He's tall, blonde, smokes a cigar -and he's a pig!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 02:10:43 PM »

He's tall, Blonde, he smokes a cigar - and he's a pig!!!!!!  ;D
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 07:44:31 PM »

At first, I didn't like GBU all that much.  At least, not compared to the first two (spaghetti's).  But the more I watch it, the more I like it.  I don't want to burn out on FAFDM, so I plop in GBU a lot these days!  I love Tuco when he gets out of the desert and tries out the store owner's revolvers; matching up the different parts to make the right pistol...!!  Too cool....
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 02:34:26 PM »

"Your spurs." *Gunshot*.

You gotta love that part. The whole movie is perfect.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 02:45:36 PM »

I bought the restored version couple of weeks ago and watch it again(must be my thousands time when I saw it).I`ll have to say that I can`t get enough of that film.There`s simple nothing wrong in that film..well I´m not all that thrilled of these voiceovers in restored version but great film all the same.
I know I´ve been saying on this discussion board that Once Upon A Time In The West is better film but after seeing both of them in short time I think that they are equal as an film.
I also used to prefer For A Few Dollars more over GBU but I think there`s more content in GBU.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 10:40:21 PM »

I bought the restored version couple of weeks ago and watch it again(must be my thousands time when I saw it).I`ll have to say that I can`t get enough of that film.There`s simple nothing wrong in that film..well I´m not all that thrilled of these voiceovers in restored version but great film all the same.
I know I´ve been saying on this discussion board that Once Upon A Time In The West is better film but after seeing both of them in short time I think that they are equal as an film.
I also used to prefer For A Few Dollars more over GBU but I think there`s more content in GBU.

Good to see that your beginning to see the light Hemlock ;).

WKC.

Eagleye

I Rekon So

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »

All I have to do is see the title "The good, the bad, and the ugly", and I hear that ol' so famous music in my head. Probably the best western ever made. I loved it from the beginning to the end and I could nnever watch it enough!!! I don't know of any other movie that I can say that about ;)

Eagleye
Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 01:56:04 PM »

Non conosco bene l'americano e quindi parlo italiano. Ho tutti i DVD di Clint e tutte le colonne sonore di Ennio Morricone e non mi stanco mai di riguardarli.
Leone è stato un genio e credo che "Il buono, il brutto e il cattivo" stia nella storia dei film western come "Ombre rosse" o "la battaglia di Alamo".
Ajax

Mortimer : "Maybe next time..."
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 03:42:10 PM »

Without a doubt my favorite movie of all time.  It has been stated by many of you, and it is such a true statement that the movie is perfect and no matter how often watched it never gets old.  

As mentioned, the meaning of life is hidden in the film's many touching moments.

In the end, Blondie must have felt a twinge of kindness towards Tuco.  Especially after all they'd been through.  He still split the gold with him and literally and symbolically cut the rope for the last time.  

Nothing and I mean nothing beats that three way showdown finale.  I only wish I could go back and not know the outcome and see it for the first time again!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 05:07:09 PM »

Non conosco bene l'americano e quindi parlo italiano. Ho tutti i DVD di Clint e tutte le colonne sonore di Ennio Morricone e non mi stanco mai di riguardarli.
Leone è stato un genio e credo che "Il buono, il brutto e il cattivo" stia nella storia dei film western come "Ombre rosse" o "la battaglia di Alamo".
Ajax
I'll try to translate:
I don't know English well, so I'll speak Italian. I have all Clint's DVDs and all Ennio Morricone's soundtracks, and I never get tired of rewatching them.

Leone was a genius, and I believe that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is like Stagecoach or The Alamo in the history of the Western.

Ajax
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 05:22:28 PM »

Well I wouldn`t put The Alamo(if we`re speakin of John Wayne`s Alamo ???)on the same list with GBU and Stagecoach.Good western and quite entertaining but not as good as those other two.
However Ajax is right.Leone was a genius...and if he got all Morricone soundtracks...WOW!That`s alot of records.
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 09:45:16 PM »

I watched some of the deleted scenes that I had not watched for a while. I could not remember them. That's how long it had been.

One thing I don't understand. Why did the cut the scene of Angel Eyes visiting the Rebel fort? After I rewatched that scene, the rest of the movie made a whole lot more sense. That is one scene that should have been left in. Until I watched it, I was not able to understand how Angel Eyes ended up at the prison camp.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 09:56:26 PM »

To me Angel Eyes appearance in the fort came as no surprise, simply because it fitted in with the nature of his character, and what he might do under the then conditions to survive and even prosper.  A survivor and an opportunist.

WKC.

Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 12:33:33 AM »

Si parla tanto del Biondo e di Tuco, ma credo che un grande sia anche Lee Van Cleef (Angel Eye, o in italiano Sentenza). Da piccolo lo notai come comparsa in "Mezzogiorno di fuoco" con Gary Cooper, in cui faceva la parte di uno della banda dei cattivi.
Dopo GBU, egli ha interpretato parecchi western di second'ordine con registi italiani, imitatori senza successo di Leone.
Come sfondo del mio desktop ho una foto tratta da GBU quando lancia la pala a Tuco c he sta scavando nel cimitero...
Ajax

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 01:08:04 AM »

Oookay, let me try my hand with that ...

People talk so much about Blondy and Tuco, but I think that Lee Van Cleef (Angel Eyes, or in Italian "Sentenza") is also one of the great ones. When I was little I noticed him as a bit player in High Noon, with Gary Cooper; he played the role of one of the band of bad guys.

After GBU, he acted in some second-rank Westerns with Italian directors, unsuccessful imitators of Leone.

I've got a photo from GBU that shows him throwing the shovel at Tuco, who's digging in the cemetery, as my desktop wallpaper ...

Ajax
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 02:02:59 AM »

Another bit of info on Lee Van Cleef.

I noticed he was also in 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance'.

The some of the other Spaghetti Westerns he was in after GBU, wearing the black clad clothing like Col. Mortimer from FAFDM ; 'The Big Gundown', 'Sabata', 'Death Rides A Horse'.
and he was also in the last of The Magnificent Seven sequals (poor guy).
Ajax

I'm Italian

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 07:25:10 AM »

Thanks for translation to English...

La mia famiglia ha a Napoli un ristorante e uno dei clienti più affezionati è l'attore Aldo Giuffrè, che in GBU era il capitano nordista alcolizzato. Giorni fa ha festeggiato i suoi 80 anni al nostro ristorante e gli ho chiesto se ricordava le riprese di GBU e un giudizio sugli attori: non ricordava bene Van Cleef e Wallach, ma di Clint mi ha detto che era molto professionale e serio. Io gli ho fatto i complimenti per la sua bellissima interpretazione; egli è un attore di teatro molto noto in Italia e a Napoli in particolare.
Quando uscì GBU a cinema, io avevo 19 anni e confesso che andai a vederlo malvolentieri, perché l'eroe dei western fino ad allora era stato per me John Wayne, tutto diverso dal personaggio del Biondo...

Ajax
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 07:37:53 AM by Ajax » Logged

ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 07:40:22 AM »

Thanks for translation to English...

La mia famiglia ha a Napoli un ristorante e uno dei clienti più affezionati è l'attore Aldo Giuffrè, che in GBU era il capitano nordista alcolizzato. Giorni fa ha festeggiato i suoi 80 anni al nostro ristorante e gli ho chiesto se ricordava le riprese di GBU e un giudizio sugli attori: non ricordava bene Van Cleef e Wallach, ma di Clint mi ha detto che era molto professionale e serio. Io gli ho fatto i complimenti per la sua bellissima interpretazione; egli è un attore di teatro molto noto in Italia e a Napoli in particolare.
Quando uscì GBU a cinema, io avevo 19 anni e confesso che andai a vederlo malvolentieri, perché l'eroe dei western fino ad allora era stato per me John Wayne, tutto diverso dal personaggio del Biondo...

Ajax

Translation as follows:

"My family has to Naples a restaurant and one of the customers more becomes attached to you is l'attore Aldo Giuffrè, than in GBU alcoholic was the nordista captain. Days ago our restaurant has celebrated its 80 years al and I have asked to it if it remembered the GBU resumptions and a judgment sugli actors: it did not remember Van Cleef and Wallace well, but of Clint it has said to me that it was much professional and serious one. I have made it I compliment for its beautifulst interpretation; it is a theatre actor much famous one in Italy and to Naples in particular. When GBU to cinema exited, I had 19 years and confess that I went to see it malvolentieri, because l'eroe of the westerns until then had been for me John Wayne, all various from the personage of the Blond man..."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 07:41:39 AM by ScreamingEagle » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T