News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mystic River DVD, with extras, release date confirmed  (Read 19683 times)
tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2004, 06:07:15 AM »

There will be a two-Disc-Edition in Germany. A Region 2 Edition. Everything will be in german and english. Except for the cover.
Means that the discs will also be interesting for fans in the UK.

Does anybody else have an idea of an alternative (ie. Not UK version) region 2 release of Mystic River?

I really want the audio commentary.  
Obviously I also want the english 5.1 audio.

Proteus

Shhhhh!

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2004, 03:50:45 PM »

I'm really looking forard to this, but I'm cautious. Can anyone give me a sense of the Charlie Rose appearance? Rose is always so hit-n-miss, and I know Clint is not a fan of the promotional process. Can someone sell this to me?

Oh, and I'm new - and haven't read everything yet. Hope I'm not rehashing old ground.  

Proteus
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 03:51:14 PM by Proteus » Logged

Wanna drink and drive and have some fun...
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2004, 06:39:42 PM »

Here's a look at the final cover art from Amazon.com:

Three Disc Deluxe Edition:

Widescreen Edition:

Full Screen:

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2004, 09:59:47 PM »

Just saw an ad for the three disc set during CSI. Don't forget everyone, it hits shelves this Tuesday!!
1936ireckonso

Willow weep for me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2004, 06:40:03 AM »

:)

Good perfect golf morning from the Midwest-USA:

Great news!!  Just hoping the 3-disc, widescreen issue hits the Miami County, OHIO-USA
area....Thanks...

Respectfully,

DOUG OF DUBLIN, OHIO-USA
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2004, 10:39:41 PM »

Found an early review of the DVD up at DVDFile.com. It's a shame what they say about some of the extras though:

The sole extra on disc one is a screen-specific audio commentary with actors Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon. Unfortunately, as excited as I was to listen to it, it is rather dull. Both speak in very slow, methodical and often dry tones - it is a bit wearying to get through, although the second half is more insightful than the first. Robbins is especially intriguing in some of his theories on acting and directing, although he frequently cuts off Bacon in mid-thought (oh, such actor ego). Only true fans of Robbins and Bacon, or acting students, will likely make it all the way through.

Disc two at first appears to offer plenty of documentary extras, but the two featurettes included are disappointing in their brevity. Beneath the Surface (22 minutes) is the better of the two, offering interviews with all the principals (including Eastwood, all the main cast, screenwriter Brian Helgeland and author Dennis Lehane). Comments are thoughtful is sometimes pretentious, but Mystic River is an actor's show, so the fawning is appropriate and predictable. From Page to Screen (11 minutes) is more flat, featuring Lehane's initial thoughts on the script, as well as the cast and Eastwood's ruminations on the Boston streets as another character in the film.

Oh well, at least it's something. The Deluxe Edition is still the one I'm going for.  8)
forbin

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2004, 01:12:58 AM »

Found an early review of the DVD up at DVDFile.com. It's a shame what they say about some of the extras though
On the other hand, Slant magazine's Mystic River DVD review has generally positive things to say about it, so who knows.  I've been watching for someone to post a commentary track review for Mystic River at ratethatcommentary.com, since it's linked from their home page, but nothing yet.

Oh well, I know I'm buying the 3-disc set either way...
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2004, 09:44:04 AM »

Here's a shot of the packagaing for the deluxe edition, from IGN.com's DVD section:

It looks nice, but I don't like the way disc 2 and 3 are situated. It looks like it could be a very slight annoyance to get to disc three. For the heck of it, their review is here.
vevie

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2004, 07:16:56 PM »

You are right.... I'm also unsure about how they positionned those two DVD at the right.......

But I'm so excited abotu this release.. I'm thinking to go at Walt Mart at Midnight tonight to purchase it LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm unsure If someone already post it, but Dennis Lehane will be tomorrow (June 8 ) at the Border Store - downtown Corssinf Boston for a dicussiona dn signing...
You can found more info at the store website

http://www.bordersstores.com/stores/store_pg.jsp?storeID=120
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 07:33:26 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2004, 07:37:53 PM »

Vevie, I edited your post to fix the date. It was showing up as a smiley ...  8)

I clicked your link, but I can't find any mention of a Lehane appearance at the Boston Borders store on June 8 ...  just Jay Mohr.  ???
vevie

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »

HUmm.... That is weird.... I got an e-mail from them earlier this afternoon and when I check their website Dennis was on the "Event page" and now that you mentioned, I don't see it anywhere..........

This is the e-mail they send me:

Celebrate the Release of Mystic River on DVD!
Winner of 2 Academy Awards!

Meet Author DENNIS LEHANE
Tuesday, June 8 at 6:30 PM
Discussion and Signing

Mystic River will be released on June 8th, in a
deluxe-edition three-disk set and a single disk
version. The deluxe edition features the film, a
separate special features disk and the original motion
picture soundtrack, with music composed by Clint
Eastwood.

On Sale!
$29.99 Deluxe-Edition Three-Disk Set
$19.99 Single Disk Version

Call the store to order a signed copy,
if youre not able to attend!

Borders Boston-Downtown Crossing 617.557.7188

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2004, 08:05:40 PM »

That is strange. Perhaps it was cancelled at the last minute. Still, you'd think there would be some explanation on the website for the sake of all the folks who got the e-mail!  ???

Anyway, thanks for thinking of us.  :)
vevie

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2004, 08:09:50 PM »

I guess they cancel it.. Because I swear, this afternoon it was there...... ???
I e-mail back the person that e-mail me earlier.... So I will let you know If I do heard something back....
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2004, 10:12:42 AM »

Well I went to Best Buy today to pick up the Deluxe Edition and they didn't have it. They just had the full screen  :-X (full screen DVD's should NOT be allowed) and wide screen copies. I asked if they have it and they said they wouldn't have it until Saturday, which is the same crap they pulled with the GBU DVD. So since Wal-Mart is pretty much right beside it, I went in there and they had 5 copies just sitting there calling my name, literally. Can't wait to watch it again.  8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2004, 05:42:29 PM »

There's a very nice review by Dave Kehr in today's New York Times ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/08/movies/08DVD.html

June 8, 2004
NEW DVD'S
Looking Into a Dark River, Seeing the Shadow of Evil
By DAVE KEHR

Mystic River

The director Clint Eastwood turns Dennis Lehane's fine suspense novel about three estranged childhood friends (Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins) from working-class Boston whose paths cross again in the wake of a brutal murder into a symphonic study in contrasting voices and values. Long fascinated by music as a subject ("Honkytonk Man," "Bird"), Mr. Eastwood here creates a genuinely musical style, using his performers like soloists, from Mr. Robbins's moody baritone to Mr. Penn's spiky soprano. Their individual arias are incorporated into a magnificent choral piece.

In this film without a clear protagonist, in which evil is no longer embodied by a lone madman (as in "Dirty Harry") but by far more generalized and profoundly human forces (represented by the plunging shots into the dark river that gives the film its title), Mr. Eastwood continues to make major strides as an artist. The last 10 minutes, in which the focus suddenly and devastatingly shifts from Mr. Penn's vengeful ex-con to his coldblooded wife (Laura Linney, in a performance that should have earned an Oscar to go with those awarded to Mr. Penn and Mr. Robbins), constitute some of the most precisely calibrated, morally nuanced filmmaking to come out of the American cinema.

Warner Home Video is releasing "Mystic River" in a film-only version and a "deluxe edition" that includes an extra disc of supplementary material and a CD of the film's soundtrack. (Also available today from Universal: Mr. Eastwood's underrated "Breezy" from 1973, the first film he directed but did not act in, and Don Siegel's sinewy "Coogan's Bluff" from 1968, with Mr. Eastwood as a Western sheriff in New York.) 2003. $27.95/$39.98. R.
1936ireckonso

Willow weep for me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2004, 04:55:41 PM »

:)

Good after the rain evening from the Midwest-USA:

Received the 3-disc issue in widescreen yesterday....watched the movie and thought it was quite a message about how folks really kid themselves when they fail to tell the truth about things.....We wondered what really happened to Sean Penn's character and those other guys(his thug friends) who seemed to be breaking the law all the time??....

Still have to watch the 2nd disc and maybe the explanation is in there.....

Well, anyway, gotta watch this great movie several more times 'till I start to get all the messages given to us from Clint's great mind....

The long wait for the discs is finally over and now I have something to treasure for a long time.....Thank you Clint Eastwood !!!!!

Respectfully,
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 05:02:48 PM by 1936ireckonso » Logged

DOUG OF DUBLIN, OHIO-USA
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2004, 05:57:33 AM »

Some one mentioned this before and it got me wondering.... Why does the deluxe edition have 3 discs ? Is there really that much information that it could not possibly have all been contained on 1..or at least 2 discs...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2004, 06:31:26 AM »

I think the third disc is an audio CD of the soundtrack.
tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2004, 08:55:22 AM »

Could anybody, that have seen the Mystic River 3-disc set, tell me about the QUALITY and how good the extra features are?

The online reviews I have come across seems to suggest that although there are plenty of extras, the extras isn't that elaborative and interesting...

What do you reckon?
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2004, 12:38:46 PM »

ok i missed somethin - what happened to the other discs - the uk version just has one  :'(

thats not fair

« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 02:12:27 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T