News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hunter  (Read 4193 times)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 11, 2004, 07:15:43 AM »

I always enjoyed watching the occasional episode of Hunter, the 80's TV series.  To me, Fred Dryer was a good quality poor mans Dirty Harry.  He looked a bit like Harry, being tall and lean and tough, and he acted a bit like Harry.  

What do you all think?

WKC.

Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 08:01:06 AM »

HUNTER

In 1984, Fred was chosen to play the leading role of the TV series Hunter: LAPD Homicide Detective Sergeant Richard Hunter, a mobster's son turned cop. Hunter, created by Frank Lupo and produced by Stephen J. Cannell, is TV's version of Clint Eastwood's violent big screen cop Dirty Harry. Hunter's partner is Sergeant DeeDee McCall, a beautiful and tough widow, known around the squad as "The Brass Cupcake", played by Stepfanie Kramer. Hunter ran on NBC from 1984 to 1991. About why the show was a success, Fred said at the time:

"It hits a theme that people all seem to understand. The characters Hunter and McCall have old-line values: honesty, integrity. They are after the right answers to problems and the way they go about their jobs is very admirable. They are human beings. They aren't automatons. Or maybe it's just that they think I'm cute. Maybe they think Stepfanie is beautiful. It's hard to put your finger on exactly why the show is so strong". (LA Times, 03/15/1990)

Trivia.

Hunter returned in 1995 in the first of four tv movies .

Freds toned physique came from his years as a professional football player.

Fred is big in China.

I agree that Fred was a a bargain Basement Clint.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 07:17:41 AM by Will T. » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 04:07:43 PM »

I have just been sent some old Betamax recordings and they contained some episodes of Hunter. The Clint connection goes a little further, one of the episodes was directed by James Fargo.

"Works for me "

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 08:19:33 AM »

I have just been sent some old Betamax recordings and they contained some episodes of Hunter. The Clint connection goes a little further, one of the episodes was directed by James Fargo.
Philo .

Hi Philo,

according to the imdb Fargo actually directed 4 episodes of Hunter, as well as episodes in a few other popular TV series, most notably The A-Team and Beverly Hills 90210...

WKC.

robbietan

NOYPI

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 02:16:40 AM »

besides sharing the same height at 6' 4".

can't get info on their weights though
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 07:08:05 PM »

Well, Fred Dryer was a pretty damb good linebacker for the LA Rams way back when in the 70's.  There has got to be a weight listed on him somewhere.  As far as Clint goes I'm sure the info is out there somewhere.
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 08:49:27 PM »

Fred Dreyer kind of looks like Bill Murray in that pic.

Anyone else agree with me on this? :-\

« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 08:49:45 PM by Dannyman » Logged

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »

Hey Dannyman, why don't you start a Fred Dryer thread in the off topic form seeing how it's going to end up there anyway... ;)
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 08:58:48 PM »

Yes, with our wonderful moderators it probably will  ;)

J/K, we love you guys.....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 08:58:59 PM by Dannyman » Logged

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
El Gringo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 09:44:31 AM »

Actually, I think Fred Dryer is a little taller than Clint.  I believe Dryer is about 6'6" while Clint is about 6'4".

Didn't Dryer first get his breakthrough start on an episode of CHiPs?  I think that particular episode (I forget the name) was going to be a spin off for a new show with Dryer.  However, the network never picked it up for a series run.

Dryer was a good "bargain basement" Dirty Harry, but I think Clint's style had alot more ferocity in his portrayal as a big city cop.

I wonder how Clint felt about the show Hunter and Dryer's portrayal as a big city cop?    

"...your mouthwash ain't makin' it!"
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 11:48:01 PM »

I haven't really seen too much Hunter , but from what I've seen Fred Dryer was pretty good. I think comparisons to Dirty Harry are a bit of a stretch, but perhaps people more familiar with the show can comment on that aspect of it with more of a background and knowledge to draw from. I think the Hunter character worked more within the system than Callahan did. He didn't really cross the line as explicitly and he didn't seem to have the sense of urgency that Callahan did. I preferred The Rockford Files myself. I thought it was interesting that they brought back Hunter for a couple of movies and then brought it back as a weekly series and nobody watched so it was pulled pretty quickly. It was a shame that the people that watched the original didn't seem to connect with the show when they brought it back.  
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T