News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Clint Western  (Read 38167 times)
skippy

cool

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2003, 05:17:49 PM »

mines high planes drifter.  ;D
Dina

God,Watch Over Our Leaders And Country

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 09:00:26 PM »

Unforgiving(is there any other?)

Dina
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2003, 09:07:48 PM »

Skippy... High Plains Drifter.

Dina.... Unforgiven.

And thankfully, there are others... NINE others.  ;D
Ravenwind

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2003, 05:35:45 AM »

"Pale Rider" is the one i look forward to seeing most.Dont know why really.The mystique and the storyline make it my favourite.A good second is "Outlaw Josey Wales".

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
Sebastian

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2003, 06:24:41 AM »

Hi,

excuse me if i use a wrong name for a Clint Eastwood western but i am from germany so i am not sure how the english titles are...

But I think that "The good, the bad an the ugly" is the best of all. Then comes "For a few dollars more", "For a fistfull of dollars", "Pale rider", "The unforgiven" and then all the others, but all are the best western i have ever seen. But "once upon a time in the west" is also one of my favourites. And Sergio wished to have Clint Eastwood for the man with the harmonica, Elli Wallach for Cheyenne and Lee van Cleef for Frank?

Nice greetings from Germany Sebastian
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2003, 10:06:04 AM »

And Sergio wished to have Clint Eastwood for the man with the harmonica, Elli Wallach for Cheyenne and Lee van Cleef for Frank?

Willkommen und hallo, Sebastian!  :)

I don't know about that casting coup - but he certainly wanted that unholy three to play the gunfighters waiting for Bronson during the opening credits.

Quite a gag to have the three stars of his last film killed off in the opening minutes of his next - and thematically appropriate too!  :D

Shame Clint didn't feel he could make the trip.  I can see why he would want to break away from the spaghettis at that time - but it would have been a nice touch.

Daisy Girl!
Clint

I'm the admirer of CLINT EASTWOOD !

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2003, 09:02:51 AM »

My favorite Western is The Good,The Bad and The Ugly. Clint Eastwood,Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef are very succesful in their role. Of course,Clint Eastwood is the most succesful actor in the film.

My name is Mustafa Egin. I live in Turkey. My age is 17. My favorite actor is CLINT EASTWOOD. I think,CLINT EASTWOOD is the most famous actor in the world. I want to make friendship with some Eastwood admirers...
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2003, 12:06:50 AM »

Here is my order:

1 - The Good the Bad and the Ugly
2 - The Outlaw Josey Wales
3 - Unforgiven
4 - For a Few Dollars More
5 - Fistfull of Dollars
6 - High Plains Drifter
7 - Joe Kidd
8 - Pale Rider
9 - Hang em High
10 - Two Mules for Sister Sara (I hate this one)

I like 1 - 8 a lot, 9 is okay, and I just do not care much for 10.  The Good the Bad and the Ugly was the first one I ever saw.  My dad made me watch it with him on a sunday afternoon when I was around 15 or so and I absolutely loved the film.  The emotion you feel in so many of the scenes is deeper than in any other of Eastwood's Westerns.  Only Wales and Unforgiven give it a serious fight for the top spot on my list.  
Lonesome Sundown

Son of a b*[email protected] took the bait!

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 05:44:49 PM »

1 - High Plains Drifter
2 - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
3 - Outlaw Josey Wales
4 - Unforgiven
5 - Pale Rider
6 - Fistful Of Dollars
7 - For A Few Dollars More
8 - Hang Em High

That's all Ive seen at the present time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 12:23:29 PM by grumpy old geezer » Logged
Fan

Rawhide is the best! buy it!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2003, 10:59:50 AM »

You're all rating Outlaw JW too high! that thing isn't that good! And GBU is great, but the first two Fistful movies are slightly better because in GBU they dwell on the war stuff too much, (it's great that the movie is kind of (especially the second half) tribute to the men that died in the civil war, but it kind of breaks the movie up. There's this interesting storyline, and then all of a sudden a potrol comes along and takes them into a prison camp, then at the end another group of guys does the same thing, takes them into the trenches and you have to sit through this talk from this major or whatever.  (still good, but breaks the story up) and also, the music is very sad at the end (due to the very real trajedy of the civil war) melancholy. so that drops the GBU down a bit. Although I must admit Tuco's character is a great part of the film. but I still think it shouldn't be ranked above Fistful or FAFDM.

Two Mules should be ranked higher
Also there is about ten times as much footage of Rawhide as all his other movies COMBINED, so that should be included. I rank Rawhide his best because of the quality of the work and also the volume of material to be enjoyed. (I admit minute for minute the Fistful movies are better, they are my favorite).

Unforgiven  and Pale Rider are also overrated.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2003, 11:14:17 AM »

You're all rating Outlaw JW too high! that thing isn't that good!

OJW is an amazing piece of work from Clint. Its my third favourite Clint western. It's a brilliant masterpeice that astonishing to watch.

There's this interesting storyline, and then all of a sudden a potrol comes along and takes them into a prison camp, then at the end another group of guys does the same thing, takes them into the trenches and you have to sit through this talk from this major or whatever.  (still good, but breaks the story up)

The first patrol picked them becuase Tuco and Blondie were wearing Grey jackets, at the time the South wore Grey. The patrol that picked them up were from the North and they wore Blue jackets. I don;t think the North would have just said, "hey, your are enemy, but you know? We'll let yah go. You don't seem to be causing any harm." The patrol didnt know they werent really Southern soldiers, and they wouldn't beleive even if they said they weren't. So it was best for Tuco and Blondie to go along with them.

Also, the second patrol picked them up becuase Tuco & Blondie were walking by their outpost, because Blondie & Tuco needed to cross that bridge. However, becuase both the armies were there, they werent allowed to.

Which is why they stayed and blew the bridge up. They were free to leave, but they needed to get across that bridge.

Unforgiven  and Pale Rider are also overrated.

Maybe Pale Rider is over-rated, I can't say I havent seen it for quite a long time, but Unforgiven deserves the praise it gets. Its masterpiece and one of Clints best movies. Sure maybe its not as action packed as GBU and OJW, but it doesnt need to be.

Its a beautiful film, and rightfully deserved the Oscars it got. The characters, the story, the directing, the pace, the soundtrack, the acting, everything was great in this movie and it is the best movie I have ever seen.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2003, 02:42:58 PM »

Actually, Fan, Pale Rider ranks pretty near the bottom on everyone's list here who's posted, so it's hardly overrated among the board members.  However, it is a great film, but one that took me about six-seven viewings going back to its original release to fully appreaciate the movie and to really get into the story.  

Two Mules should be ranked higher

Should, huh?  :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Major Powers

His momma know he's playin' marine?

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2003, 08:59:56 PM »

I'd have to go with Josey Wales, with Unforgiven a close second.  I also really enjoy Hang 'Em High.  I'll have to watch GBU again to rank it because it's been a long time since I've seen it.

How 'bout I send you home with a "I just pumped the neighbor's cat" look on your face?
Fan

Rawhide is the best! buy it!

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2003, 03:38:31 PM »

Some people did rank Pale Rider too high.
Now understand I love GBU and it's one of my favorites, but if they changes some of this stuff it would have made a great movie even better. Now down to business. You're missing the point! Go to amazon at look at some of the reviews of GBU one guy says that same thing I am, he says something ilike 'if the point of the trenches scene was to [show the war] and a touching death of a soldier, it still wasn't worth it.",  In regards to the partrols picking them up, I just mean that it broke the story up. It still fits in, but it's also kind of out of place.  And the sad music brought me down a little ( it DOES add a lot of realism to the movie because of the tragedy of the war). Melacholy music brings GBU down a bit. Still excellent, though. Don't you guys think it would have been better without the patrol stuff and getting locked up, and that stupid trench stuff. listening to the general or whatever.. boring!
Now PLEASE go and rely to my NO more man movies thing. Go and look at the one person that replied! read that last sentence. THATS the reason they think what they do.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 04:18:20 PM by Fan » Logged
GBU

Name's Ash. Housewares.

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2003, 08:53:48 PM »

Unforgiven is a good movie, but no movie in the world compaires to "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Its a classic. I consider it a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 06:40:00 PM by The Good, Bad, and the Ugly » Logged

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
~ Dazed and Confused
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2003, 09:09:57 PM »

Its cherished by me, but I prefer Unforgiven, saw it first and have seen it more times. I just love Unforgiven.

It's my favourite film of all time.
SergeantFIN

Next time I´ll knock your damn head off...

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2003, 06:24:51 AM »

In my opinion all three "Dollar-trilogy" westerns are the best.....Then Unforgiven is good also.....
There´s a big list of Clint´s westerns so I don´t "write ´em high....."
pilar

Well, I hope they say...nice things.

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2003, 09:45:18 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to the board and only recently caught the Clint Eastwood bug. So far, I only like the Westerns so I must answer this thread even though it is a late post.

I saw GBU on channel 20 in California recently and then I had to check out the whole trilogy. I  checked it out on impulse because the title is so famous. I wanted to know what the context was. I wasn't completely hooked until the middle of  movie when Tuco took out the pink parasol. Up until that point I wasn't sure how much of it was serious, how much tongue in cheek, how much the director was aware of what he was doing, and how much not.  But it was all over after that. I settled in and Got Into This Movie. Then when it was over, I watched it again. Then I went online and found out about the trilogy and rented the other 2.

Okay, but back to your question:

My favorite Western is:

1.  For a Few Dollars More

I love it. I love it even more than the GBU if you  can believe it. THREE great leading men. Great Music. It captures a personal feeling I've always had about weird little desert towns but never met anyone who shares --and then here's a whole movie that captures it perfectly.  

For the opening shot of Manco alone it'd be my favorite: The thunder, the music, the poncho visible, the gun with the inlaid silver snake, and dear god, that leather wrist support. Woo Hoo. Followed by rain, the hat with the leather brim, and the masculine yet elegant Clint hand reaching for the the cigar. All in three or four seconds.

Van Cleef's opening scene is great too. I believe I wish men still dressed like that. :-)

And I gotta give props to the Bad Guy: Beautiful eyes. Best bad guy I've seen. Love the psychological aspect and the music that's like a sing-song psycho lullaby.  He's not evil, just had the misfortune of being born before decent meds were available. <g>

the scene were Manco and Mortimer are waiting for the gang to return and the single note from the piano is slowly sounded over and over. Great effect.

Ohhh and what else? The vistas and also the buildings/decor. Really authentic looking mission stuff (which would follow being filmed in Spain.)

What struck me most was how little dialogue there was and how uneccesary it was for it to be there. I think the actors/director actually expressed more with small gestures than anything I've seen recently.

Okay, but on to the others:

2. GBU ---yes, I can't believe that FAFDM has become the favorite over GBU which is also great, but it has.
3. Outlaw Josey Wales (if you take out the too long battle   montage in the beginning...)
4.  Unforgiven (which is probably better crafted than OJW)
5. Fistful of Dollars

There you go.

Pilar

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2003, 10:08:16 PM »

May I be the first one to welcome you to the Clint Eastwood Web Board pilar...

Hope to see you posting as much as you'd like....

Always good to have fresh new Eastwood fans aboard... :D
pilar

Well, I hope they say...nice things.

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2003, 05:47:40 PM »

Hey D'ambrosia,

I'm still getting acquainted with the personalities and the format. :)

Thanks for the welcome,

Pilar
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T