News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 100 films  (Read 3190 times)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« on: December 28, 2002, 07:41:18 PM »

Channel 4 (here in the UK) are doing an all-time top 100 movie chart.  The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was number 46.  The top 40 will be on tomorrow, so hopefully there'll be some more Clint films in there...
The Duke also got a mention with The Searchers, but I'm pleased to say that was well below GBU.  
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 09:13:19 PM »

Channel 4 (here in the UK) are doing an all-time top 100 movie chart.  The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was number 46.  The top 40 will be on tomorrow, so hopefully there'll be some more Clint films in there...  
No such luck, Lilly ... GBU is in fact the only Eastwood film that made this particular list.

You can find the complete list here and on nine following pages.

KC
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 09:54:50 PM »

Cheers for that KC.  No more Clint?!  Oh well, at least now I don't have to sit through three hours of Graham Norton to see which film is number 1!  I noticed that the link to the GBU review on the Film Four site is broken, so here it is.  From there you can link to a page on Clint with various other reviews, including an unfavourable one on Blood Work (which I'm going to see tomorrow  :)).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 10:40:30 PM »

Thanks, Lilly ... I liked this brief report on Unforgiven:

Hard bitten Western of astonishing intelligence and power. Boasts a magnificent weather beaten roster of over 50s talent - including Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood

Eastwood and the western waited years for Oscar recognition, but this grave movie did the trick - possibly because it is so determinedly serious as well as being wonderfully well-made.

From its comic presentation of an aging gunfighter turned farmer trying to swill pigs, we are presented with a nuanced characterisation that is the heart of the film. Failing to find peace, but sickened by violence, Bill Munny (Eastwood whose craggy features have also never seemed more suited to a role) is enticed back into the saddle with the enticement of bounty (a cowboy has viciously scarred a prostitute and her fellow workers club together for revenge) and the chance to secure a future for his children.

The film becomes an odyssey of pain and retribution, but, significantly, within its sombre narrative it charts the progress of a lost human being heading towards a kind of salvation.

It's superbly crafted, with taut, muscular direction from Eastwood and intense, disturbing cinematography from Jack Green. The performances from the distinguished cast are nothing short of blistering.

KC
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 11:21:04 AM »

Top 100 lists are always flawed. It's really an exercise in futility to compile them and usually it's more of a publicity stunt than an actual concerted effort at a serious study. What can you say? One of Clint's films made the list. It's a bit surprising that the film wasn't Unforgiven .
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 02:24:04 PM »

Dirty Harry should have been on there too.  Not only is it a great film, but it's one of the most influential also, and I understood that at least the AFI took that into consideration.  Oh well, that's me.

But Gladiator at #6?  :P :P :P

And the Matrix one spot ahead of Casablanca?  I liked The Matrix okay, but those two movies aren't even in the same league.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T