News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HEARTBREAK RIDGE: Acting 5: Recon Platoon  (Read 1767 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:40:28 PM »

I spent a lot of time on casting. You may have a good script but the casting can make or break you. The actors were all pretty young fellows, 18 to 25, and we used very good people. I had a casting director who put them on video. I looked at the tapes; if I liked an actor, I'd look at a film in which he'd already worked. You go for a certain look. An actor's talent, a nature and a look. Your characters must fit together, they must be plausible as a group.
(Clint Eastwood, quoted in Fuensanta Plaza's Clint Eastwood/Malpaso, p. 168)

What do you think of the performances of the actors who portrayed the young soldiers of the recon platoon: Ramón Franco as Aponte, Vincent Irizarry as Fragatti, Tom Villard as Profile, Mike Gomez as Quinones, Rodney Hill as Collins, and Peter Koch as Swede Johanson. (There is a separate thread for Mario Van Peebles' performance as Stitch Jones.) Do any of these performances stand out as being particularly good, or particularly bad? List what you like or didn't like about any of these performances. Do you feel the actors "fit together" and are "plausible as a group"?
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 01:02:39 AM »

i thought it was a good cast on the whole - they were a rabble to begin with and they played there parts amirably i guess one thought you could never bring them together

i think the different sizes and backgrounds gave a sense of non-conhesion as well

plausibe - yeh i reckon so

i thought the family aponte bit was a good touch  - the places they put families in the uk of service men and woman isn't always the best

also the swede match up was funny - i suppose it brought the film neatly to the discipline aspect

from what i gather the scenes with them drilling had real military folk as well

« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 02:52:19 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 05:51:03 PM »

Profile. Swede, and Collins were okay as actors, and as characters. I was somewhat dissapointed with the others most of the time, the one exception being aponte. When we find out he got a wife and kids i began to see him in a different light and his acting gets better. I would have liked to see more of Collins, and less of stitch. Also, a lot more of profile would be good if we were to respond deeper to his death. (oh, look! the nerdy guy died) ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 07:13:55 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T