News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HEARTBREAK RIDGE: Acting 4: The Co-Stars  (Read 4841 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:41:09 PM »

What do you think of the performances of Everett McGill as Maj. Malcom Powers, Boyd Gaines as 1st Lt. Ring, Moses Gunn as Sgt. Webster, Arlen Dean Snyder as Sgt. Maj. Choozoo, and Eileen Heckart as Little Mary? Are there any other performances that haven't been mentioned in other threads that you'd like to comment on?
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 04:36:23 PM »

I had forgotten that Everett McGill is in this film. I saw him more recently in Twin Peaks. He was great in that. I think his performance here is pretty good. He looks a lot different though. He does a good job of putting Gunny down...although Gunny was always going to win in the end ;D

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 09:20:21 AM »

I think all these parts were cast well, although I'm not so sure I can say that having a character like Lt. Ring in the film works for me...  but being as the character was written that way, then the casting was just fine.  I'll go into more detail in another thread about what I said about the Lt. Ring character, this isn't really the place for that discussion.

I agree that Everett McGill is really good in the role of Maj. Powers. I don't think they could have cast Little Mary better ... Eileen Heckart is perfect.

Did anyone (besides KC who pointed her out to me a while back) recognize "Becky" from Tightrope (the girl who liked popsicles, but not bowling) in her brief (but revealing) part in Heartbreak Ridge?  :P
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 02:18:47 PM »

No, Matt, I didn't! But then I didn't realise I had seen Marsha Mason before in Frasier, either  ::)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 02:24:01 PM »

She was one of the students at the medical school. She was just walking out of the shower before putting a towel around herself when one of the recon soldiers walked in.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 06:23:37 PM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

I never realised the gal comin' out of the shower was Becky from Tightrope... I've put the dvd on and freezed framed it..and after very careful study I concur your correct.. It is Becky.... ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 04:08:57 PM »

I've had it freeze framed as well.  ;)
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 04:37:31 PM »

No wonder I didn't notice...not only am I a girl, but I wouldn't pay attention to that sort of thing...being a decent sort  like what I am  ;)

Oh and Matt, it was Stitch Jones who noticed her...'assets' ;) You neglected to mention.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 04:44:16 PM »

Oh, was he in that scene?  ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 05:02:15 PM »

You know, it's been a very long time since I've seen Heartbreak Ridge, but I think I remember that scene. I'll look for her whenever I do get around to watching it again.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 05:15:25 PM »

Somebody, stop the madness...haven't we had enough threads corrupted?! At least this one, I can absolve myself of all blame...

Now if I was to start on the male co-stars...muscles for example. Or lack thereof. I actually find Boyd Gaines rather attractive in a nerdy sort of way. I've never been into muscles. He's a cutie ptooty. I particularly liked it when the recons beat Major Powers's men - specifically, Gunny triumphs over Powers - and the Lieutenant jumps up and down with glee. Sweet.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 11:50:16 PM »

I think "Becky" works really well with Mario in this scene.. theres a certain chemistry that becomes apparent after several viewings....

I wish I could get Tightrope to further study her work..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 04:09:07 PM »

All these characters are extremely well casted.
Especially Eileen Heckland and Dean Snyder.

Every time i see Eileen Heckland play little mary she reminds me of the owner of the pub we had on our own base during my army days. She´s the spitting image, and has the same heart of gold.  :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 07:14:16 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T