News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Rookie  (Read 24211 times)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »

I thought Eastwood and Sheen had good chemistry.
The chemistry between the two is only so-so. Although I don't hate The Rookie, that's exactly why I think this movie's one of Eastwood's weakest.

This said, I think they had fun on the set. There are some funny scenes. I'd like to see the bloopers -if there are any. Didn't Philo talk about a behind the scenes featurette or something like that? I'd sure love to see it.

Charlie Sheen really sucked -my apologies to the Charlie Sheen fans here, but he really did. This scene where he talks to his father is pathetic. Bad acting.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »

-my apologies to the Charlie Sheen fans here

I don't think there are any Charlie Sheen fans here. Actually, I don't know of any Charlie Sheen fans anywhere.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 07:26:40 PM »

Well, Richard Earl and I, and maybe a few others, had mentioned that we liked the chemistry between Eastwood and Sheen in The Rookie, and over all, I've never minded Sheen at all in a number of movies I've seen him in. And currently, I've been watching Two and A-Half Men since the show's debut, so I guess I could consider myself as a "fan." Or, at the very least, I don't dislike the guy. ;)

Now, AB, you also have to remember that Sheen may have not been "clean" from some his bad habits at the time. :D No, that's not an excuse for moments in the movie where you might think his performance is weak, I'm kidding there, but I do remember hearing from something I watched that Eastwood had gotten concerned about him during the making of the movie.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

I don't think there are any Charlie Sheen fans here. Actually, I don't know of any Charlie Sheen fans anywhere.
;D ;D Neither do I, but you never know, better be wary. I don't want to upset anybody ... after all, there are John Stamos fans, right?  :D

Now, AB, you also have to remember that Sheen may have not been "clean" from some his bad habits at the time. :D No, that's not an excuse for moments in the movie where you might think his performance is weak, I'm kidding there, but I do remember hearing from something I watched that Eastwood had gotten concerned about him during the making of the movie.
Really? I didn't know about that.

But as you said, that's not an excuse. He was bad  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2006, 08:25:33 PM »

Yeah, Martin Sheen got Clint to call Charlie to tell him he should go into rehab.

I quite liked having Charlie Sheen in The Rookie, but the movie didn't show him or Clint in their best light.  Clint seemed kinda wooden at the beginning.  Both characters were pretty one-dimensional.

I know there is debate about the order of movies at the bottom of Eastwood's great oeuvre, but I definitely think Pink Cadillac is better than The Rookie, which I put last, on a par with City Heat.  Or maybe just a smidgen above the latter. 

The best line was
You want a guarantee, buy a toaster.

There were a lot of lame scenes, and overall my feeling was just one of boredom.  I actually thought the deja-vu jokey scene in the office at the end wasn't as bad as the rest of it, but the film never seemed to be sure whether it was a spoof comedy or a more straight actioner.  The stunt when the car flies out of the exploding building was pretty good though.

Eastwood's directorial imprint was evident in the lighting, but I actually found it a bit too dark at times.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »

i will admit one thing about The Guantlet. I thought It was funny as hell the first 30 minutes. The exchanges between him and Locke were pretty amusing, but the movie just got gradually stupid, but If some you cherish the movie, hey it's Clint..it's all good. My point is I think that movie was a mistake, just like The Rookie as well.. See Honkytonk Man doesnt bother me as much ,though alot of you disagree that I felt he should have had another actor in it. Honkytonk Man is  a nice little movie and was meant to be that way. Oh Well...
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2006, 05:23:29 PM »

I believed I was "tagged" during the last Tag game to name the worst performance in an Eastwood movie, and now that I've seen The Rookie again after about ten years or so, I have to say Pepe Serna's performance is absolutely the worst performance by an actor in any Eastwood movie.  To be fair the poor guy got the most horrible lines ever written for an Eastwood movie, but just so his delivery is .... brutal.   The script and the entire movie just seems to sprial downward from the beginning, but his performance in the movie, alone, makes The Rookie perhaps the least enjoyable movie of Eastwood's to watch.  And to think Unforgiven followed this....

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »

haha... 2006, well, i watched this movie this weekend and i liked it, didnt loved it but liked it.

i saw parts of it years ago, i wasnt sure if i saw it, but i quickly remembered.

The Mayor: Well, let's have it.
Callahan: Have what?
The Mayor: Your report! what have you been doing?
Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »

Thanks for reviving this old thread, Lena--it brings back some memories! ;D And going on four years since I last watched The Rookie, perhaps another viewing is in store! ;) I'm sure I'll feel the same way as before.

And I really do miss Matt and Lilly!
Aline

Email
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »

I watched The Rookie recently after a long time and Clint character is one of the most (if not the most) annoying, arrogant character he has played. Charlie Sheen is annoying too, but for different reasons. I can't care less about his childhood trauma/guilty.

One of the good things in this movie is Sônia Braga, who looks absolutely gorgeous and very effective as a scary, convincing mad woman. The scene in the airport is amazing.

If we had to list the stupidest lines Clint ever said in a movie, those would be on the top of my list:

Mr. Ackerman, if you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
Someone finds this funny? :(

Another pearl:

I didn't lie to him. I just didn't tell him the truth.

In the bar when he stops everybody from beating David saying "all you people driving without auto-insurance are hereby under arrest" everybody starts laughing, is a cliche in Clint movies. It happened in Sudden Impact when he tells Kruger is dead and everybody in the bar started laughing and in Pale Rider, in the scene where LaHood is trying to negotiate with the preacher.
They must have thought...worked in others movies must work in The Rookie too.
I never liked those scenes, it's like they are trying to manipulate the audience to make it feel enthusiatic.

Everytime I watch The Rookie I always think in a era where movies are so full of action, car chasings, explosions and a sex scene, Clint wanted to show he still could do the thing.

Just my opinion.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »

I don't care for The Rookie (though I think it would be fun to do it as a Movie Night sometime). But the line "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster," is one I actually use once in a while in so-called real life. ;)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »

I don't care for The Rookie (though I think it would be fun to do it as a Movie Night sometime). But the line "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster," is one I actually use once in a while in so-called real life. ;)

I too think that line is funny and have used it myself.     As far as a movie night goes The Rookie could do with another viewing and people talking about it together could show up some of the better parts of it.   It isn't my favourite by any means but I don't mind it.  There are some redeeming parts.  ;)
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 05:56:45 AM »

i think the quotes are fine.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:59:58 AM by Lena » Logged

The Mayor: Well, let's have it.
Callahan: Have what?
The Mayor: Your report! what have you been doing?
Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 12:03:17 AM »

Probably my least favorite Eastwood movie... but I agree, it would be interesting to re-view it..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Aline

Email
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »

http://www.clinteastwood.net/filmography/rookie/

For some reason Brazilian actor Raul Julia is playing a German character

Raul Julia is not Brasilian, he is from Porto Rico, a country located in Central America.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000471/bio

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%BAl_Juli%C3%A1
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »

Actually, Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory ... in the Caribbean. ;)

That line should read

For some reason Brazilian actress Sonia Braga is playing a German character

We'll have to get after Cal. He's a few films behind in the Filmography, also.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »

Geez,how bad was this film,no wonder it took me ages to find a thread about it( page 32 of 33 ).
I can't find anything in this movie to recommend it if you haven't seen it already.No Humour,only one good action scene which was the freeway pile up in the first couple of minutes and at 116 minutes wayyyy too long.It just seemed as if everyone was going through this at slow motion.There's no thrills or spills just a very boring film.Definitely at the bottom rung on the Clint Eastwood film resume.

Ha, just did a search and found this quote from myself from nearly five years ago. Practically what I said in the other thread today.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
fugaziuk

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »

I totally agree with the people who said that this was a simple case of "one for you...one for me".

Its not just Eastwood that does this - a ton of directors seem to do this with studios - look at Soderbergh will make oceans films and then make something like "The Girlfriend Experience"

Be to be honest i feel Clint has passed this point now and is one of the few directors (Spielberg will fall into this category) who can just walk into the studio and say i wanna make this give me $10 million with no arguments.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »

I know I've said this before on the board, but whenever I watch an Eastwood film now and especially during a movie night, I seem to take so much more in. I just don't watch it for the entertainment value but look deeper into each film.

Watching The Rookie in the past and once it was over, I'd forget about it, but after today, little things that were mentioned through the film by KC and others has had me thinking of it since it finished.

I've always thought this prologue belongs in another film ... as, for that matter, does the whole back story about Ackermann's brother. Is this a cop buddy film, or a psychological thriller?

I've never thought about this before but why is this subplot of his brother's death even in this film. It doesn't enhance the story any. OK, he blames himself for his brother's death and has a toubled relationship with his father ever since but it could have all been dropped and just having him rebel against his rich father by becoming a cop. Rich kid doesn't go into the family business and joins the cops. Something like that. All the flashbacks to his childhood and nightmares could have been edited out and the film trimmed to a better running time. It is about 20 minutes too long in my opinion.

Who knows, maybe in the future, DVD's or whatever we have, they'll be a feature where we can make our own cut of a film and edit out anything we don't like and still have a coherent film?

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »

I've always thought it's weird that this film, where we have scene after scene of senseless, meaningless "movie violence" where comic book figures get comic book hurts ... was followed immediately by Unforgiven, where every violent act has deep consequences for the characters and the audience.

Another good point from the movie night.

I think it shows that Clint was ready to give all the action mindless violence films to bed and start a new direction with more thought provoking films where peoples actions and consequences are closely scrutinised.

I don't know if he lost a lot fans by doing this but I'm sure he gained plenty with the type of films he has made in the last 20 years.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T