News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man With No Name and William Munny  (Read 24443 times)
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 07, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »

Has anybody ever realized how similar these two characters are???? I mean, Munny could actually be an older version of The Man With No Name!!!! I could see after the three films, him forming a gang of outlaws and then getting married and, well the rest of it is in Unforgiven. It's a pretty far out idea, but who knows.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 02:32:29 PM »

Actually I think this idea has been brought up before so it's not too far out. It's a pretty good thought. I'm sure KC or will probably direct us to a thread where it was discussed ;D

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 02:52:33 PM »

I don`t see the connection between Munny and Manco/Joe/Blondie/Man With No Name.
I`ll admit that they both have sort of a shady past but that`s about it ???
I think Eastwood`s italowestern character is more of an opportunist type of guy who likes what he is and everything he does is to benefit himself.
Munny is more of an victim of his sad/bad life.More darker character.
And Munny was an outlaw and Man With No Name is bountyhunter...sort of an lawman ??? Blondie killed badguys when Munny was a bad guy.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:52:44 PM »

And Munny was an outlaw and Man With No Name is bountyhunter...sort of an lawman ??? Blondie killed badguys when Munny was a bad guy.

True. And Blondie didn't kill woman and children, he protected them (something to do with his growing up?) while Munny did kill them. Blondie also didn't take to kindly to people laughing at his mule, which means he cared for his animals, whilst Munny didn't.

Also Blondie seems to be alot more smarter than Munny is. If Munny had of gotten the same amount of money Blondie recieved at the end of GBU, he most likely would have blown it all on booze, whores and other needless things, while Blondie seems like the type who would put it to good use and use it for food, shelter and other nessacary materials.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 10:30:57 PM »

Also Blondie seems to be alot more smarter than Munny is. If Munny had of gotten the same amount of money Blondie recieved at the end of GBU, he most likely would have blown it all on booze, whores and other needless things, while Blondie seems like the type who would put it to good use and use it for food, shelter and other nessacary materials.
But Blondy DID blow it all on booze, whores, etc. ... obviously. Or why does he show up penniless in San Miguel, Mexico, a decade later?  ???  ;)

We did have a couple of threads about this on the old Board over the years. My personal take is that what we see of "The Man with No Name" in the Leone films is the legend—while what william Munny recalls of his past in Unforgiven is closer to the truth about what men like him were really like. But you know what the man said about truth and legends in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence ... ;)

Here's part of a post of mine from the old Board (originally posted 12-05-98, those were the days!):

Many people have commented on how William Munny might be the Man With No Name in his twilight years, but I think there's an important difference. No Name is clearly a fantasy figure, or a legend, if you will -- like the "Duke of Death" in Beauchamp's dime novel "biography" of English Bob. But these legends had to be based on something in reality ... and just as Little Bill debunks the legend of English Bob, telling us all about the sordid reality behind Beauchamp's fantasy, the film Unforgiven is a kind of debunking of the legend of No Name: it tells us about the reality behind the legend, for by his own account Munny, in his youth, was not a supremely sly, cool, and seemingly supernaturally gifted gunfighter who killed varmints for gold, but a whiskey-fueled berserker who killed men--and even women and children--out of a rage to kill, not even for profit. ("We done stuff for money before, Ned," he tells his old partner, who replies quietly, "Yeah. We thought we did.")
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 10:33:09 PM by KC » Logged
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 05:24:10 AM »

But Blondy DID blow it all on booze, whores, etc. ... obviously. Or why does he show up penniless in San Miguel, Mexico, a decade later?  ???  ;)

In Fistfull of Dollars he says something about when the same sort of thing happened to "Someone else" and that their was nobody to help to the family he helps. Maybe he's reffering to himself and that after he got his fortune in GBU maybe someone stole it from him or somebody did something similar to what happened to Joesy Wales?
Just a theory.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:07:20 AM »

Here is my take on it... ;)

(The Good the Bad and the Ugly 1862 )Blondie gets the 200,000 and decides to move back east not quite making it to Illinois.  He meets his future wife in St. Louis and decides to buy a farm and settle in Missouri and starts a family.  After assuming the name of Josey Wales he losses all his family and everything after Red Legs pillage and loot his farm and stealing a lock box containing the rest of the gold. (The Outlaw Josey Wales 1865) After riding off into the sunrise he  takes Lone Watie's advice and heads for Mexico.  

After assuming the name Hogan, still worried about Union authorities, he meets up with Sister Sara and they move in together.  (Two Mules for Sister Sara 1866) After Hogan tires of the whoreing, gambling and other vices he decides to dump Sara to become a man of the cloth moving north to a small town in Texas and becoming a preacher to a small but growing congregation.  

The Towns Sheriff is the notoriously mean spirited Stockburn.  Stockburn fears that the preacher will expose the fact that he is corrupt and evil so he slips into the preachers house one night and unloads six shots into the Preachers back while he sleeps.  On the third day the preacher rises from his death bed as inspired by some kind of divine intervention.  Not knowing what God wants him to do he figures he has been brought back as some sort of avenging angel set out to get revenge upon those who have brought grief and havoc to his life.  After exacting revenge on Stockburn (Pale Rider 1869) God intervenes once again stripping the Preacher of  holiness and casting him out.  

Being striped of holiness, he still possesses a Christ like mentality of being just and helping people.  He assumes the name of Joe and rides into the town of San Miguel and takes care of business with the Baxters and the Rojos. (Fistful of Dollars 1873)  After realizing that he still posses the immortal powers and establishing that he is the "Jordan of gunfighters" he desides to become a bounty hunter full time.  Realizing that his body is mortal after the beating he receives by the Rojos he aquires a leather hand brace to help steady his right hand, his shooting hand, and quickly realizes that he still has special powers that allow him to never miss with his maimed hand.  

He sets out on a wide range of bounty hunts assuming the name Manco which he feels is appropriate seeing how he is maimed and one armed for the most part with the exception of shooting. (For a Few Dollars More 1876)  As the years pass Manco slips into the depths of evilness and God once again steps in and strips him of all special powers.  Broken and bewildered Manco finds himself once more in St. Louis and meets once again his future wife, Claudia.  

After falling in love, Claudia cures Manco of all wickedness and evil and makes him pure again. (Unforgiven 1881)   He assumes the name William Munny and like he did in the past he once again buys a farm.  Being without much money he can only afford a small desolate piece of scrap land were he is forced to raise hogs.  After Claudia dies he sets out for one last killing with Ned.  

After Neds death he has lost all hope for life and roams the earth numb and detached becoming a Stranger. (High Plains Drifer 1882)  After ridding the town of Lago of all wickedness and evil God assumes that there is good in him once again, thus allowing him to move back to St. Louis for the third and final time and becoming a law man.  

After getting notice of the death of a Tuco, a long lost friend from way back, he rides out to Oklahoma for the funeral.  After learning that Tuco has left him his ranch and a nice little nest egg Cooper decides to stay in Oklahoma and raise some Cattle. (Hang 'Em High 1889)  

After being so fed up with the system and the ways of the law, Cooper decides to go rogue and ends up in New Mexico and lapes into a state of vagrancy assuming the name of (Joe Kidd. 1896)  That is the last we have hear of this character.........

Until Now..........  

;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 08:26:45 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 02:17:33 PM »

woah! :o
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 06:31:03 PM »

D'Amb, that's fantastic! You missed a couple of steps, though ... after the events related in Unforgiven, Munny takes the kids to San Francisco and leaves them with a distant relative of Claudia's, who raises them to be decent law abiding citizens. Penny Munny marries an Irish immigrant by the name of Callahan, and their firstborn son became the first of several generations of San Francisco policemen. Manwhile, Munny finds his way all the way to Florida, where the long lost Lone Watie helps him find the Fountain of Youth, which transforms him from a gray-haired sixty-year-old back to a thirty-year-old ... so the adventure can continue ...
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 12:50:27 PM »

And after he has grown up William Munny's son finds out who his father is and changes his name to Beddoe. He then moves to Los Angeles and has many children and grandchildren, including Philo Beddoe.

Meanwhile Penny Munny divorces ans re-marries a fellow named Stovall, and their son becaomes a country music singer.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 01:59:38 PM »

hmm..... I've found an interesting observation.
In Fistfull of Dollars, Joe's left hand is buggered, but if For A Few Dollars More he's wearing the leather brace on his right hand. ???
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 09:57:57 AM »

hmm..... I've found an interesting observation.
In Fistfull of Dollars, Joe's left hand is buggered, but if For A Few Dollars More he's wearing the leather brace on his right hand. ???

Hey, your right Eagle, nobodys perfect... ;)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 06:18:02 AM »

Blondie seems like the type who would put it to good use and use it for food, shelter and other nessacary materials.
Yes,   perhaps he would have started a home for delinquent youth, and taken great pleasure in teaching them to shoot the apples off his elderly widow neighbours trees.  The  widow would be constantly complaining to the mayor about her afternoon naps being ruined by gunfire, and Blondie and the kids would all sit back drinking non alcoholic apple cider and having a good laugh at her expense.  Finally she would crack and hire a cold blooded bounty killer to assasinate Blondie.  The killer would be a beautiful woman, and she and Blondie would fall in love, and run the home for delinquent youth together, into their ripe old age....

WKC.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T