News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to post an image on the Web Board  (Read 27212 times)
lilirishgrl

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »

your very smart and a good teacher thank you KC! you made my day O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2014, 07:16:36 PM »

Sometimes people post images here that are "too big." They make the page widen out past the width of your screen, so you have to scroll horizontally to see everything. That makes it very hard to read other posts on that page. Until now, what we've done about this has been rather complicated. Either the original poster or one of the mods had to find a smaller version of the image, or else download it, reduce it with image editing software, and post it to an image sharing site. Then the post would have to be edited to replace the "too big" picture's URL with the smaller one's.

But there is another solution. The last time this happened, our long-time member Dan Dassow made the suggestion in the thread to just edit the code with the image URL to set the width to a reasonable size. Since that image has now been "fixed," we've removed his post, but I thought I'd quote it here so everyone can see how it's done.

You can limit the width by adding the width qualifier as shown below, except remove the leading blank.

[ img width=300]http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/calendar/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/the-outlaw-josey-wales-original.jpg[/img]

See http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Img for details.

The 300 was Dan's suggestion for this particular image, but it can be any figure up to about 600 or 800. It will depend on the size of your monitor whether it's too big to display correctly. I have a 21-inch monitor and it's set to a resolution of 1,680 x 1,050 pixels, so even a pretty large image is still OK for me, but that may not be true for everyone. When in doubt, err on the smaller side, and post a link (a regular URL link) to the full-size image if you like.

This is the image mentioned in Dan's post, constrained to a width of 300 pixels by the code he posted:

If you want to see the original "too big" image (1,920px 1,080px), follow this link:

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/calendar/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/the-outlaw-josey-wales-original.jpg

Thanks again for the tip, Dan Dassow!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »

^ Since posting the above, I noticed that the reduced image automatically becomes a link to the full-sized image. If you click it once, you'll see the full-sized image. Click it again, and it goes back to reduced. So it's not really necessary to post the URL of the full-sized image, and the reduced image can be quite small. It might not hurt to add a reminder that people can see the full-sized image by clicking the "thumbnail."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »

I read my own instructions to learn how to do this again. My god, I mention using the Netscape browser.

If self-hosting a screencap, or something like that, you can use Imgur -- they keep the images online forever (or so they say). 

http://imgur.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »

Here's some instructions with screencaps that will help newbies upload their own images to the internet and post here on the board:

Go to www.imgur.com

If you need to resize your image before posting, follow these two steps

After resizing (or if resizing is not needed), the final step:

You don't even need to use the Image tags on the board -- the code you're copying when you select "BBCode (Forums)" includes everything.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:53:21 PM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »

I used imgur for the first time today and thank you Matt for the tips. So much easier and faster than any other hosting site I've ever used.   O0

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »

Yeah, I like imgur. It's a pity so many images posted on this Board were hosted on ImageShack, meaning most of them aren't showing any more.
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »

Thank you, Matt, for the instructions for uploading images to imgur.  I finally had time to replace my avatar today after noticing a while back that it had gone missing.  It's my favorite moment from GBU.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »

Perfect timing, large one!  ;)

I made two others, in case you wanted to also see some of Clint in the shot:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:56:52 PM by Matt » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T