News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Eastwood films you saw at the theater  (Read 18127 times)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2003, 03:16:21 PM »

We used to have lots of reruns in local cinemas in seventies and eighties.Bond films kept coming back and so did lots of Clint`s films.
It`s long time ago but I think that my first one was Magnum Force and second The Good,The Bad and The Ugly.
Firefox was first"new"Clint film that I saw.After that there has been only few that I did not see at the theater.
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2003, 04:01:47 PM »

....The first and only of Clint's films that I've seen in the theatre are:
               1)  In The Line of Fire
               2)  True Crime  
               3)  Space Cowboys
               4)  BloodWork
    and     5)  High Plains Drifter ('01, at S.F. Film Festival)

I've seen most of the rest on TV or video. 8)

-Blu
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 12:04:20 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Smith&Wesson44

All this for a friggin car...

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2003, 12:46:16 AM »

Firefox.  I think I was 5 or 6 y/o.

"It's for the penetration"
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2003, 08:19:23 AM »

UNFORGIVEN,
it was my 15th birthday.
like others said with so many of clints films being a mature rating (15s or 18s) it was impossible for anyone born in mid to late 70's or after to see the classics in the cinema first time around
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 08:19:50 AM by little_bill » Logged

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2003, 09:00:35 AM »

My parents took me to see " Paint Your Wagon " on it's first year of release but I was too young to know who was in it .
I sneaked in ( at age 11 ) to see " Dirty Harry " and was hooked .
Lt. Briggs

From the Crossroads of the World

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2003, 08:03:47 PM »

The first Eastwood that I saw in a theatre was
"Paint Your Wagon" in 70MM at Pacific's Cinerama
Dome in Hollywood.  
In the mid 90's we used to run films after close in a few theatres around Hollywood for friends.  
We ran "Dirty Harry" in IB over at the Hollywood Pacific theatre (1200 seat theatre), We ran "Magnum Force"
in IB at the Vogue Theatre (800 seat),  We ran a faded "Enforcer" at the Odeon Theatre in Westwood.  And we ran "Where Eagles Dare" at the Beverly Connection Theatre (450 seat house).  During the
late 80's, we had also the Chinese Theatre (main house)available.

It was fun working in film in the Los Angeles area ;D

I hate to walk up to a door with Harry.
To many people don't like him.
shabby chic

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2003, 02:17:48 PM »

My home town, pop. 50,000, opened a new movie complex in, I believe, 1988.  Opening day came and to my surprise there were EIGHT screens.  That was a tremendous amount of screens for a Minnesota town.  Anyway, I went opening day with my parents.  I must have been 12.  The first movie I ever saw there was The Dead Pool.  I loved it at the time, though I now think it's a piece of junk.  Nice memory however.  The theatre has 16 screens now.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2003, 04:12:42 PM »

Lucas,

You mean your parents forced you to sit thru Dead Pool?? I'm surprised they weren't arrested for child abuse. How cruel! Well I'm trusting it didn't leave any permanent scars.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
shabby chic

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2003, 04:22:12 PM »

Thanks for the great post, Lilly.  And congrats on your first Eastwood Cinema viewing!

Good thread Agent.
Can you believe this, but mine is Blood Work, just three days ago!  Before that I only ever saw Clint on the TV/DVD.  Until I came to university in Edinburgh I lived in the country in Norfolk and it was over 30 miles to the nearest small town picture house, so I hardly ever went to the movies.  But I'm trying to make up for lost time (I went to see Blood Work again today).  It's so much cooler to share the experience with an audience.  
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2003, 09:52:04 AM »

Like I said before my first Eastwood movie in theatres was Absolute Power. Me and my mom went to go see it.

Good times.

I remember then I was anticipating Midnight/Garden/Evil and when it came out we went to see it again. I remember my mom fell asleep, and I was knodding off as well. :-[

I have seen it several times now, and I enjoy it each time.

True Crime, was one I saw in theatres as well. It was fun seeing Clint back up on the big screen.

Didnt see Space Cowboys. :( I cant remember why. I was mad becuase I didnt see it. I really wanted to, but I just never got time. I bought the DVD as soon as it came out. I owed that to Clint, for missing his movie.

And then Blood Work. Again, enjoyed seeing him back on the big screen. A little disapointed with the script, but mostly everything else was fine.

Cant wait for Mystic River. 8)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2003, 12:44:38 PM »

Thanks for the great post, Lilly.  And congrats on your first Eastwood Cinema viewing!
Thank you, Lucas. :)  I'm hoping some older Eastwood movies will be shown again in some of the art house cinemas, so a new generation can capture the authentic theatre experience!
Inspector71

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2003, 08:50:34 PM »

I became an Eastwood fan as a teenager watching the Dirty Harry films at 11:30 at night on ABC. After buying all the Harry movies on VHS years ago, I was amazed at how badly the networks had edited and censored those classics.

I saw Pale Rider and Unforgiven in the theater and I was amazed at the cheering and applause those movies got in theaters.

You heros have read a dozen posts here this week...what're ya gonna do next week?
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2003, 07:00:32 AM »

My first eastwood movie in a theatre was firefox. (i was 10 i think at the time)
my memory is somewhat fuzzy at some points about it but i´ll write what i remember.
My dad used to take me to a cinema in a big mall called city 2, just the two of us. it was sort of a man to man thing (my father not being my biological father, but since my biological father left when i was two, i could not remember him, but thats another story...)
Usually we saw the early shows of old movie revivals
( johnny weismuller in Tarzan, even a couple of movies with the mighty duke) but one day he looked at me and said if i wanted to see a real "man movie". he told me that it was with eastwood and even though the mighty duke was my favorite cowboyhero at that time i agreed to see it. I cant remember if he said we could leave if i found it to scary, but he always said that when we saw a movie so i reckon he said that too.
He asked me to wait at this burgerhouse which lay next to the cinema, bought two tickets, a LARGE box of popcorn and coke, snuck me into the cinema, and we settled down in our chairs.
i found the movie somewhat dull, but that changed as the movie progressed, (didnt tell my dad i found it boring, after all we vere seeing a real "man" movie  ;) )
at the end with the firefight i was whooping for clint and my father asked me to be quiet so we wouldnt get thrown out.  ;D
we saw the movie to an end, then left to go to a small fair the mall had, and we made a solemn oath not to tell mom what we had seen  ;D
Its one of my best childhoodmemories, not so much because of clint, but because in my eyes i had become a "man"  ;D ::) ;D needless to say, we went and saw a lot of movies later on. a lot of it eastwood material included, but this first time was special.
Later on, my dad and i have had our "ups and downs" but we could always go watch a movie together.
The reason i mentioned all this is that i think i wouldnt have become a great eastwood fan if it hadnt been for my dad, and i look forward to watching eastwood movies when i one day have a kid of my own.
I hope that The last ride is gonna be a reality, even though we havent been to the movies in ages, i would like to invite him in the cinema one last time to see our hero in action, thats the least i can do  :D    
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2003, 11:29:45 AM »

8) Thanks for sharing dane.  It's cool to hear the different ways Clint fits into our memories.  

and we made a solemn oath not to tell mom what we had seen
;D 8)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2003, 11:40:39 AM »

Not to be on a down note here, but when first seeing Pale Rider I left the theater dissipointed...

I was very excited going into it and when I left I was like hummm...  As I said early in this thread I was only 15 at the time but I was expecting more like Josey Wales, HPD, or the Man with no name stuff.  As I got older and saw it on cable and rented it, it got better and grew on me big time...

I just remeber thinking this is borring when are we going to have some gun play.  But hey, that's what happens when your 15... ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 11:42:18 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2003, 05:04:33 PM »

Dane, thanks so much ... that is a wonderful story! If The Last Ride doesn't get made ... maybe they'll show the restored version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in your town and you can take your dad.  8)
Eric

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2003, 09:25:25 PM »

My mother is huge fan of his since Rawhide days so she took me to see all his movies since I was very little. The first Dirty Harry(71') was my first, I was one..........do I remember watching it then ..........hah..no. I have seen every movie since then at the theaters. Watching him on screen is like watching a family member. Known of him all my life.

"  Pope......I think it's only fair to warn you....I'm going to have to waste you a little...."
Blakelock

Are you talkin to me?

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2003, 06:02:54 PM »

Sadly, all Eastwood movies I saw were on TV, pay-per-view, or video. I guess I had better get my butt to a theater next time.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2003, 02:13:53 PM »

Just bought firefox on dvd and saw it. It was very funny and nostalgic to se it for the first time after all those years. When i usually see a movie from my childhood i usually gets dissapointed (like some rubbermonster you once thought looked so cool or scary in some sci fi movie now looks ridiculous) but i think firefox managed pretty well to keep me entertained, and its fun to find out how much of the story i could actually remember. (it wasnt much, but a few "images" hung on all through those years) The effects isnt that bad either, and the acting is cool enough. I´ve already called my dad and asked if he is keen on watching an old "real mans movie"  ;D
sartana

'Someone left the cake out in the rain..'

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2003, 01:13:33 AM »

Mine was Unforgiven. There's a cinema near me which has now closed down where they'd let you in even if you were underage. A bit naughty but i saw some great films there and i've never looked back.
 ;D

"Senor Ramirez is a very dangerous poet.."
'Corri, uomo, corri' - 1968
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T