News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Cowboy Would Win?  (Read 10599 times)
Eagleye

I Rekon So

View Profile Email
« on: May 14, 2004, 09:03:14 PM »

Clint Eastwood VS. John Wayne?
Clint Eastwood VS. Anybody?
My bets on "The Good",  I mean Josey, or was even that "Dirty Harry" guy!!!

Eagleye
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 09:06:31 PM »

Questions been brought up many times in the past and the general feeling is, seeing how this is an Eastwood webboard, that Clint would win....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 10:43:45 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 09:56:27 PM »

To be honest, when the Duke was young, I'm talking when he was making movies in the 30's and 40's he was as fast as Clint but Clint is cooler so he would win no doubt...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 10:29:47 PM »

I can't resist posting this quote from an article that appeared in Esquire a number of years ago ... September, 1976, to be exact. It's by Bruce Jay Friedman, and was titled "Could Dirty Harry take Rooster Cogburn?"

The Duke or Eastwood? In a fight, forget it. A good big man against a good little man. Ali vs. Sugar Ray. The Duke with those big good-natured ham hands would eventually win. Eastwood would hit him with some vicious nasty small man’s punches and the Duke probably wouldn’t even feel most of them. It’s as if they’d be coming from one of his spitfires. And the ones he did feel, he’d fall back, shake the grogginess out of his head, rub his slightly stubbled cheek, say, “I’ll be darned”—and then he’d start using the good-natured hands and that would be all she wrote. The end of Eastwood. Or would it? Let’s not get too cocky on this point, us or the Duke. Because this is where I’d like to introduce a thought, something for the Duke to ponder. All along, we’ve been presupposing a fair fight. One of those saloon things where people get thrown over bars and the mirror breaks. What the Duke has to realize is that Eastwood has spent a lot of time abroad. And he might come up with something crazy. Something the Duke has never seen. Something they didn’t do in Laredo. Something out of Naples. Eastwood doesn’t fight American, doesn’t see any reason to. He’ll pull the Duke’s ear off. What would the Duke do then? Probably mumble something about gooks and walk off the set. Or, for argument’s sake, let’s say Eastwood didn’t pull the Duke’s ear off. What if he pulled something metaphysical, something no one ever tried on the Duke? All of a sudden the Duke would be punching thin air. He’d have to stop after a while and ask a rancher, “Listen, neighbor, wasn’t I just fighting a tough little skinny fella or was it my imagination?” With all of this, I’d still probably bet on the Duke because of his good-natured ham hands and Iwo. But there’d always be the possibility of an upset, particularly if Eastwood was cornered and went over to metaphysical.

As to whose company I’d enjoy the most, however, no contest. Eastwood all the way. Well, maybe not all the way. If we’re talking about enjoyment, how can you casually dismiss the Duke? Most of that American stuff is good p.r. and although I’m sure certain friends of mine will accuse me of failing into the old Eichmann-was-a-great-guy-away-from-the-compound trap, I think the Duke would be fun to hang around with. He’s simplistic, sure, but fun simplistic. All right, charming simplistic. This will probably kill him when he reads it, but I once met Sonny Liston, and if he had any idea how close his style was to Sonny’s, he would faint dead away. And in hanging around with Wayne, you’d be able to find him. There would never be that part of him you couldn’t touch. You could touch all of him, and of course, right there is where you run into your problem. He’s too available. I can just hear myself saying, “For crying out loud, Duke, could you be a little elusive for a change?” I’ll bet even those spitfires he’s involved with, both in and out of films, are upset about that, too. They know something is bothering them and they’re not quite sure and that’s what it is. They’re dealing with Captain Out Front.

What you would want, of course, is to have them as a team, but of course that’s impossible. It might be all right with Wayne to have Eastwood as a sidekick, albeit one he would have to keep an eye on at all times. But one thing you can bet on is Eastwood’s no sidekick. Not that he’s beyond entertaining the thought on some metaphysical level. I haven’t the slightest doubt that he would comprehend my sidekick theory of literature (one I hope to get around to doing someday for the Partisan Review), which sets out to demonstrate that sidekicks (Maggio, Ratso Rizzo, that guy in The Ginger Man) are much deeper, richer than main characters because there was less pressure on the author when he thought them up. They were written relaxed. Like throwaway lines, which any stand-up comic will tell you are always funnier than the ones everybody slaves over. Eastwood understands all this, and he would probably go for the sidekick thing on a metaphysical level, but even he has to live in the real world—so the sidekick thing is out, if only on the basis of career stuff and percentages of the gross, which he needs as much as the next man. I don’t see any reason to hold that against him. If there has to be a sidekick, let Wayne go be one. Or else drop the whole thing.

So on the basis of company alone, I’d go with Eastwood and it would always come back to that remote thing of his. That alienated thing that Beckett and Ionesco are supposed to have a lock on. For a while, Antonioni had a lock on it, too, but I understand he’s not so alienated these days. He’s going another way. The point is, you’re allowed to say Pinter and alienated all you want. You practically get a trip to Bermuda out of it. But mention Eastwood and alienated in the same breath and they look at you like you’re an idiot. And are they wrong. As far as I’m concerned, he’s more alienated than the whole pack of them. I think he’s more alienated than Kurt Vonnegut, too. What do you think of that?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 10:53:55 PM »

That is a very interesting read KC.  Thanks for posting that.  I had a disscusion at the Wayne webboard sometime last year going on about this but can't seem to find it right now.

I really like Wayne and some of his early stuff is just great but Eastwood is entirerly to clever for the Duke... :)
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:04:44 AM »

I agree with DAmbrosia: Clint wins.

Speed aside, The Man With No Name was ready to draw the moment the Duke became "unobstructed".

And you know, whoever kills the Duke gets Maureen O'Hara.  (Hahahahahaha again....!)    
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 08:34:33 PM »

Clint wins. Why?

He has better lines. Take for example the monologue about his mule in A Fistful of Dollars. Also, the coffins lines in A Fistful of Dollars. Look at all the great lines in Josey Wales.

What does John Wayne get? Nothing that good.

Clint can do better pistol tricks too. He fans his gun and can spin it pretty well. John Wayne can spin a rifle sometimes but that's pretty much it.

ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 03:36:36 AM »

John Wayne says 'Pilgrim' most of the time.

"You better fill your hands Pilgrim"

However John Wayne used a Winchester quite a few times.

'joe' doesn't need a rifle of any sought (except for cutting the rope), we see this in FOD
"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol is a dead man. Let's see if that's true?"
FallenHero

Ain't never kissed my horse

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

It would be a draw. Much as I like Easwood, I also like Wayne. Maybe the Duke's experience would win over.  :)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 02:25:53 PM »

Bronson   ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 03:39:33 PM »

Bronson   ;)

"I saw three of these dusters a while ago. Inside the dusters were three men. And inside the three men were three bullets"

Bronson is quite good. But he has his gun out of his holster when he thinks he needs it. Clint has it in his holster, and draws from that. Bronson has his hidden in his bag when he kills the three gunmen, under his hat when he kills the two on horseback, and already drawn when he kills the sniper.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 11:23:30 AM »

Clint can do better pistol tricks too. He fans his gun and can spin it pretty well. John Wayne can spin a rifle sometimes but that's pretty much it.

There's alot to be said for fanning a single action revolver from the draw.  Come to think of it, I've never seen Wayne do it... ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 11:41:55 AM »

ScreamingEagle, did you ever see High Plains Drifter?  ;)
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »

ScreamingEagle, did you ever see High Plains Drifter?  ;)

No. And I'm guessing he did have the gun at the ready. Well, The Man With No Name then
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2004, 02:30:56 PM »

Bronson should have played Tank Murdock... ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 03:08:15 PM »

Honestly guys Clint would win in any situation as any character...  While John Wayne is a legend Clints films are better quality and more complex then any Wayne film.  Clint would win hands down...  ::)

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 03:09:44 PM »

Shouldn't that hands down be pistols out?  ;)
Mr Soul

"It's no joke, Tuco. It's a rope."

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 10:42:50 PM »

Eastwood.  I think a better matchup for Wayne would be someone like Joe Don Baker.  And I think Baker would win anyway.  :P

"Hey, ho-Let's go!"-The Ramones
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 03:55:10 AM »

I'm sorry but The Duke's politics and gut would slow him down.

"Those God damn commies! They really make me see red!!!!"
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2004, 01:27:24 PM »

Bronson should have played Tank Murdock... ;D

THAT would've been cool!

Going by the subject title, though I'm a much bigger fan of Clint than Wayne, I'd have to go with The Duke.

For me to be fair, it's gotta be each actor's best cowboy character in their prime.  It would be The Man No Name against Tom Dunson (the younger version in Red River).

...that's in hand-to-hand combat.  In a gunfight, though, the edge would go to TMWNN.

So, it's a tie! ...for me.  That's because even though Clint's overall career is better than Wayne's, I like The Duke's western output better.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T