News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good, the Bad & the Ugly 161 min. vs. 179 min.  (Read 4718 times)
philamopolis

Email
« on: May 20, 2004, 05:42:45 PM »

I was just wondering for those of us who have seen both versions with the new dvd out. I was curious on people's thoughts. In what they liked better? Which version. For me its tuff to rate which one I liked more, only because I've watched the 161 min. version for years and loved everything about it. Aside from those who have watched the 161 version what do you like better 161 or 179 version.

Thank you.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 05:55:36 PM »

I don't have the new dvd, but was fortunate to see the newly dubbed version on a big screen in Cambridge, Massachusetts last year.  I would've gone to see it even without the deleted scenes.  I like the original better.

I reckon so.
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 08:26:57 PM »

I am going to town  8) to try to track down the special edition of GBU.  I plan to watch it tomorrow too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 08:27:13 PM by Washingtonian » Logged
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 07:34:55 AM »

I'm hoping to win it.
Ben.Carson

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 08:03:50 PM »

;D I've been watching the GBU for 30 years!  And I saw the restored version Nov '03 in a state of the art movie theater in Houston, TX.  I was mesmerized!  I sat in the third row blown away by the images and sounds which are generally overlooked.  In the scene where Tuco catches up to Blondie with his henchmen in the hotel I was able to see for the first time the Mexican bandit say, "You be quiet, old hen."  For the last 30 years I've only heard it.  I could talk all day about this movie but I will say both versions are good but the second is far superior.   8)  I don't know whose idea it was to butcher Leone's masterpiece!
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 05:09:04 PM »

I just bought it. I loved the scene where Blondie caught Angel Eye's friends sneaking up on them. I just wish the voices sounded like they did at other times.
Gauntlet Runner

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 04:11:09 PM »

Without a doubt, the 178 minute version is the best. It explains where Tuco got his 3 friends that try to ambush Blondie in the hotel, hot Angel Eyes knew about Batterville, and the other little additions were great anyway. They said Clint did his own dubbing for the re-release, but to me IT SOUNDED LIKE AN IMITATOR.  I know Clint's voice. Any thoughts?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 05:59:08 PM »

Eastwood talked a little about dubbing his much younger self in a televised interview that was shown before the theatrical premiere of the restored version, last spring at the Tribeca Film Festival. He said it was "like looping my son."

I don't have any reason to doubt his account. ;)
philamopolis

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 07:04:37 PM »

What a bummer I was hoping people would respond to what they liked better. KC especially.

I never really gave my opinion on the subject if you are curious here it is:

I've watched the 161 version for the last three years and fell in love with it. I watched both versions the same day to get a better view in which one I liked. I have to say I didn't like it at all. It had nothing to do with the extended scenes with the off dialogue I just didn't like it for me when I watch something and fall in love tih it, then watch a different or extended version I usually dont like it. I'm happy with the American 161 version apposed to the Leone cut. Which I was surprised because Leone is my favorite director/ Oh well.

In closing the theatrical trailer is my all-time favorite trailer I've seen. Does anyone else love the trailer?

Thanks.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 07:21:13 PM »

philamopolis, sometimes a topic has already been discussed and some of us oldtimers don't always feel like posting our thoughts over and over again.

You can read some of our thoughts on the extended GBU in THIS thread. And, on page three of that thread, you'll even find some of KC's thoughts. ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 07:21:37 PM by Matt » Logged
1861navycolt

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:20 PM »

I bought the new dvd of the GBU.  I watched it once but I doubt will watch it again.  A few of the new scenes worked well but most of them were not very good.  The voice dubbing is horrible.  I think they would have been better off using voice actors for Blondie and Tuco.  The voice actor who did Angel Eyes should have been better as well.  The added scene where Tuco gets his 3 friends to help him go after Blondie was the most dissapointing to me.  It showed Tuco in a very cocky way and I felt it took a little something away from his overall character.  I know he is cocky at times but it just didn't fit well to me.  
howie

A MAN HAS TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 09:29:46 AM »

I watched the GBU yesterday(Sunday) on spike TV.  In reading about the 179 min version, it appeared that yesterdays showing was the 161 min. version.  Did anyone else watch it?  Does anyone no if the networks will show the 179 min. version.  Sounds like the majority feels the 161 is better anyway.  I know I like it and I've been watching it since it came out the first time.  It's one of those movies that stick with you forever and you never get tired of watching.
tsangari

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 03:01:17 AM »

In the UK, I was fortunate enough to see the remaining 18 minutes as a DVD extra - the deleted scenes.  Indeed, I believe they provide light to some of the other scenes. The best is when Blondie wakes up to the sounds of Angel-Eyes' men. Naturally we learn about how the other bozos appear to assist Angel-Eyes find the gold...

I expected these scenes when they re-released the apparent 'uncut version', with a re-dub. If it was me, I would have personally done the edits myself and hapiliy kept the Italian dialogue.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T