News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Angel eyes character  (Read 2529 times)
SAK69

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: May 24, 2004, 05:23:45 AM »

Ok, I'm a little confused. They tell me good ,bad and the ugly is supposed to be the last film in a "trilogy". But also I hear that its a prequel to the other two. But if it's actually the first, then how does "angel eyes" know the other characters? Or is there a deleted scene that I'm unaware of , explaining how the three main characters met. Or was that meant to be left to the imagination.

Also , my good,bad and ugly dvd has the deleted scene where angel eyes goes into the army fort but it's in Italian. Could somebody give me the gist of what was said?

thnxs j
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 06:32:20 AM »

In the first place, it's not a real trilogy. Eastwood may (or may not) be playing the same character in the three films, but otherwise, there is no continuity, except for the detail of "Blondy's" obtaining the costume he wears in A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More during the course of the action in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. See this thread for more on that ...
http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=136

In the second place, the action of GBU, which takes place during the Civil War, is definitely set earlier than the other two films, which take place a decade or so later. So, if you do want to consider the films a rough trilogy, this would indeed be the first installment, though it was the last to be filmed.

It's never explained how the three characters know each other; there's no deleted scene explaining it, as far as I know.

To understand what is said in the fort scene, turn on the English subtitles on your DVD. Or pick up the new Special Edition, which has all the "extra" scenes (and one other) re-integrated into the film's action, with newly dubbed English dialogue.

I hope that helps!
Rover

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 09:33:21 AM »

In the second place, the action of GBU, which takes place during the Civil War, is definitely set earlier than the other two films, which take place a decade or so later.

How do you know the other two films are set a decade or so later? What clues are there to be found in these films that lead to this conclusion?
HeroCasey

Gunslinger

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »

The weapondry that is used. The Colt Peacemaker wasn't made until...I want to say 1972.  The Peacemaker was used in Fistful of Dollars and Few Dollars More. And if GBU takes place during the Civil War, in what..1963, I think it is, that makes it a prequel.

Bam Bam
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 11:47:26 AM »

You mis-typed twice on the dates, HeroCasey, but you are correct about the guns. Also, there is the date on the grave in the cemetery scene in A Fistful of Dollars: 1873.

Here is a link to a post where I gave a chronology of the Eastwood westerns as best as I could determine it:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1039;start=msg14181#msg14181

The Colt Peacemaker was first manufactured in 1873.  As I mentioned in that other thread. the Battle of Glorieta Pass, which is alluded to in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, took place on March 28, 1862.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 11:51:38 AM by KC » Logged
Blondie2488

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 03:24:27 PM »

Here is a list of the movies in the order they go.

1. GBU.
2. FOD.
3. FAFDM.

Although GBU was filmed last, it's the first movie in the story. GBU's where Eastwood got the Poncho. So it makes sense that way. Understand?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 08:50:28 PM »

We know that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has to come first because of the period it's set in, but it's not so obvious which of the other two is meant to come first. DAmbrosia thinks it's a clue that Manco wears a leather gizmo on his right (shooting) hand ... since Joe got his hand crushed in A Fistful of Dollars. However, as others have pointed out, that was his left hand.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 08:58:28 PM by KC » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T