News: Eastwood's latest work, "Jersey Boys," premiers in most locations on June 20th, 2014.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint & Malpaso  (Read 1266 times)
philamopolis

Email
« on: May 25, 2004, 06:08:34 PM »

I know the story that when Clint came back to the States from Spain he formed his production company called Malpaso (firstly did he form it right when he came back, I'm very curious about some of the history of it) Does anyone know why he called his company Malpaso? That in my opinion is the greatest name for a film production company.

I've often wondered why is it if Malpaso was his company how come he wasn't credited as producer until the early eighties if he brought Malpaso out in the late sixties?

Does anyone know who his partner was or is? And any other little details you could add would be grately appreciated. I'm not sure if this topic has been covered if so, I didn't know.

Lastly, can anyone list the mailing address and telephone number for Malpaso.

Thank you.
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:46:43 PM »

I just posted the address in the News forum where you also asked that question. It's listed in the site FAQ, and is:

Malpaso Productions, Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd,
Burbank CA, 91505

You can find out about the history of Malpaso in Richard Schickel's biography, Clint Eastwood. It was founded at the time he was preparing to shoot Hang 'em High, in 1967. From p. 186:

Clint, acting on [Irving] Leonard's [his business manager's] advice, established his own company, Malpaso, which means "bad step" in Spanish and is also the name of a creek that ran through the property he owned in Carmel at the time. Clint liked the irony implicit in the phrase, but he says that he did not then foresee the company becoming the full-scale production entity that it soon turned into. Rather he and Leonard saw it as a typical loan-out company of the kind the movies' above-the-line talent had begun establishing in the 1950s, partly for their tax advantages, partly because they put their owners in at least nominal charge of their own destinies.

This soon changed. From p. 221, describing a decision Eastwood came to after the fiasco of the Paint Your Wagon shoot (1968):

As the muddle persisted right up to the very last days on location, [Eastwood] firmly resolved never again to place himself in such circumstances. "That's when I came to the conclusion, after the fifth month, that I was going to be really active with Malpaso. I was going to go back to doing just regular movies."

From that point on, he was in effect his own producer, though he didn't take a credit in this capacity until Firefox, in 1982; I'm not sure why.
zach54

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 12:56:08 PM »

As always a great reply by KC!!  :D
 Speaking of Firefox,if you have the DVD ( Regon 2 ) of it there is a special "Making of" on the Disc and it features some footage of Malpaso Studios.Great interview with Clint on there too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T