News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some of Clint's Favorites  (Read 2227 times)
philamopolis

Email
« on: May 29, 2004, 12:56:43 PM »

I've often wondered what are some of Clint Eastwood's favorite movies? Favorite actors? Favorite directors?

I don't mean the movies he's done, or the people he has worked with but just some of Clint's favorite movies and such. Has anyone heard anything in like an interview where he said some of his favorite movies. Wheather favorites when he was a boy growing to the present time.

Thank you for reading my thread hope to have responses.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 01:01:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's talked about liking James Cagney. That might even be spoken of in the biography Schickel wrote. I recall Eastwood saying in an interview that he liked The Ox-Bow Incident a lot as well.

I'm sure a documented resource would be able to tell a lot more information about any other actors and movies that he likes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 01:02:09 PM by Christopher » Logged
zach54

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 01:05:03 PM »

If I remember correctly,Im sure Richard Schickel in his excellent biography of Clint said that as a boy growing up Clint adored James Cagney,Robert Mitchum and Humphrey Bogart.
 I would take a guess and figure that a lot of his favourite movies of all time will star these actors.I also read that he was a huge fan of The Ox-Bow Incident starring Henry Fonda I believe.
 Im shocked I can find no quotes of his appreciation of Nico and AWOL....Very bizarre!
zach54

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 01:09:18 PM »

sorry Christopher!!  :-[  :-\
 You must of posted just as I was typing.....
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 01:13:14 PM »

This means we can probably be sure about those actors and that film title at least. ;)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 01:17:31 PM »

I once read that Clint liked The 39 Steps and Chariots Of Fire.

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 04:06:45 PM »

I think The Oxbow Incident is the film he's mentioned most frequently in interviews as being one of his favorites ... he's revisited some of its themes in Hang 'em High, True Crime and Mystic River. He admired its director, William Wellman, greatly and was sorry he never got a chance to work with him other than his small part (which was originally supposed to have been a bigger one) in Lafayette Escadrille, Wellman's final film. (He testifies to this in the Wellman documentary, Wild Bill: Hollywood Maverick.)

Charles Champlin of the Los Angeles Times reported in a 1981 feature on Eastwood ...

His regret, as an intense lifelong film buff, is that he didn’t get to work with Raoul Walsh, King Vidor, William Wyler and other great directors. “I came along just a bit too late,” he says.
(Reprinted in Clint Eastwood: Interviews, p. 79)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 07:11:36 PM »

Watching Parkinson earlier this year I think he said he liked a lot of the westerns James Stewart made?
 ;)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T