News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT: Business and Box Office 2: Poster  (Read 9123 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: June 27, 2004, 09:58:49 AM »

Perhaps disconcerted by some of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot's more offbeat ingredients, United Artists decided to play it safe with their marketing campaign for the film, released in the summer of 1974. Disregarding Eastwood's objections, the studio promoted Thunderbolt as a straightforward heist/action movie ("He has exactly seven minutes to get rich quick!") The trailer used a misleading Dirty Harry-style score in the place of the much gentler Dee Barton soundtrack employed for the film. While Thunderbolt and Lightfoot eventually grossed a respectable $25 million, Eastwood felt that UA's mishandling of the film had thrown away the chance of a full blown hit and swore never to work with the company again (he didn't).
(Clint Eastwood, Film-Maker, by Daniel O'Brien, p. 124)

Here is the U.S. One Sheet Advance poster:

There are four versions of the U.S. One Sheet.

Style A

Style B

Style C

Style D

What is your opinion of these posters? Do you think any of them suit the film? Which of the five do you like best? If you have seen other posters for this film, if possible post images here and tell us how they compare and which you prefer.

misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 06:02:48 PM »

the US one sheet advance posters is actually one of the ugliest posters ive seen in a long time
no offence :-\

but as far as the other 4 , I really like all of them a lot

I think I like style A the best..awesome artwork

style B, I dont like it as much, a little too foggy to my taste, even if I know it was intended to be that way

Style C I like, but I think theres too much emphasis on the artilery and not enough on the actors, it makes it seem like a blow-em-up action movie, when its really more of a story-oriented movie

Style D is good, I like it a lot, but I wish they'd have shown bridges on there too..

so my vote goes to style A- great stuff

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »

Not a big fan of any of the posters and if I wasn't a Clint fan, at the time, I wouldn't care to go see this film at all.

I hate the Style B poster most of all. It just seems to say, "Heh heh, you shot it up real good." "Yah... real good."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 01:35:44 PM by Brendan » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 03:40:44 PM »

Well, out of those five, I like Style "C" the best, but I agree that Jeff Bridges should be pictured also.

My favorite is the Japanese poster:

And, I don't know if I'd like this for long, but I think this South African one is sort of groovy in a 70's kinda way.   :D 8)

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 03:56:27 PM »

Hey Matt, I was checking out your Eastwood film poster site for posters to this film and I came across this one:

What a bad poster. All they did was take the Magnum Force poster, slap on a photo of George, Jeff and Clint and threw a title on it. Bad poster. It's the French poster by the way. ;)

This U.S. one seems to think it's a Dirty Harry movie  ::):

Looking at all the posters... I can't choose a good one or a favourite. They're all bad.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 03:56:45 PM by Brendan » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 04:01:23 PM »

Yeah, I agree... it's amazing how they tried to advertise this as a Dirty Harry-style film and went so far as to steal an image from Magnum Force for the poster.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 04:39:28 PM »

Well something had to get me to post here and between you all (not knowing) you have managed it.

Someone had to stick up for style "B" and it is me.

The very best artwork, the only one to show the "closeness" of the two title characters in a simplistic honest way. The only down side is the image of Red.

What about the laserdisc art .... Good and bad here.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 04:57:15 PM »

I like the second picture there from the laser-disc artwork.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 05:34:13 PM »

Yes that is the good one .

Philo .

Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 11:42:38 AM »

I like the second picture there from the laser-disc artwork.

I like that one too.   :D

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 01:43:50 PM »

Style C of the U. S. One Sheet posters is my favorite but my second choice would have to be Style A of the U. S. One Sheet posters......mostly because it shows Jeff Bridges fairly predominately and I think the film is definitely about both the Bridges character and the Eastwood character.  It's not just about Eastwood even though I know Eastwood's picture on the poster would help "sell" the movie to the public.  
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 06:41:40 PM »

French variation

Philo .

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 06:48:26 PM »

Turkish

Philo .

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 06:52:26 PM »

Italian

Philo .

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 07:17:34 PM »

First paperback

Philo .

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »

Second edition

Philo .

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 07:42:46 PM »

Let's keep this thread on topic about the poster artwork and any other advertising and publicity that was done for the film.

Philo, if you'd like to delete your pictures of the car and the road, post them in the General Discussion forum. We've posted that same picture of the car a few times in several threads we've had about great cars in car chase films, so I think a lot of members here have seen it before, but it doesn't belong in this thread.

Thank you for posting images of other foreign posters. If anyone would like to comment on those, this is the place. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 07:45:27 PM by Matt » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 02:42:08 AM »

I don't normally read threads about cars etc so that was the first time I had seen that picture.

I am just about to go to work, so if you want to move anything, go ahead as it may be a while before I can.

I like to feature tie in items but there is never an exact place to include them, hence adding them where I did.

Philo .

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 02:44:42 AM »

It was quick to remove them so have done that for now.

Philo .

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 04:42:07 AM »

I like to feature tie in items but there is never an exact place to include them, hence adding them where I did.

Philo .

They're interesting, and I'm sure the members will enjoy seeing them. This section of the discussion (Business and Box Office) is actually to discuss the advertising that was done to promote the film upon its original release, such as the trailer and posters, to help give an idea of why a film may or may not have been successful in the theaters. But we'll include a topic in upcoming discussions for these tie-in items so that members can enjoy the images, and perhaps discussion of the laserdiscs and DVDs could be discussed too. For now, if anyone would like to discuss the items that philo posted, we'll leave them in this topic.

Thanks again for the images and keeping the discussion on topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T