News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT: Audience Reaction 1: Your Overall Feeling  (Read 8643 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: June 27, 2004, 10:06:08 AM »

What is your overall feeling about this film? How would you rate it in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's films?
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 11:38:49 AM »

I don't care very much for this movie. :(  I thought it was ok when I first saw it years ago, when I was looking for Eastwood movies I hadn't yet seen.  Rating it with the rest of Clint's work, I'd give it 2 stars out of 5, maybe 2 1/2.  I'm being honest, so I hope fans of this movie aren't bothered by my view.  I'm sure a favorite or two of mine wouldn't be theirs.

Regardless, I'm a big Eastwood fan and am very happy to have Thunderbolt And Lightfoot in my collection.

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 11:42:47 AM »

Jed, have you watched it again recently? I say that knowing how much my opinions of some of Eastwood's films have changed on repeat viewings ... Just a thought.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 11:59:34 AM »

Jed, have you watched it again recently? I say that knowing how much my opinions of some of Eastwood's films have changed on repeat viewings ... Just a thought.

Very good point, KC, thanks.  My views towards Firefox and Kelly's Heroes did alter, albeit slightly, upon recent repeated viewings.  Not so much so on Kelly's Heroes, but I liked Firefox a little more.  Maybe the same will happen with this one.  

I know it's better to have recently watched the movie currently being discussed, but I don't usually post here.  I'll keep that in mind should I decide to again.

Thanks again  ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 12:04:25 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 01:38:47 PM »

Jed, please please re-watch this film and then post your thoughts here. I would be really interested to hear if your opinion has changed with a repeat viewing.

I have only seen this film once so far (!) but I am going to re-watch it tomorrow night so that it's fresh in my mind for the discussion. When I first saw it, I was unsure of how much I was going to enjoy it, because the title seemed a little cheesy. But happily, I was pleasantly surprised. Quite frankly, it blew me away! I mean, at first you think it's just going to be a buddy movie...like a sort of comedy-chase film, but it's so much more than that. The on-screen camaraderie between Clint and Jeff is great. Jeff was still very young here (my age, in fact!) and still at an early stage in his career, but I don't think that shows at all. I think all the actors are great, I think the story's great, and there is real depth to Jeff's and George Kennedy's performances in particular.

In comparison to Clint's other films...it's difficult because Clint has made such a wide variety of films and I don't feel I can easily compare them to one another. I still haven't managed to see all of Clint's films, but based on the ones I have so far (which is most of them!) I would rate Thunderbolt and Lightfoot as one of my favourites. I still slightly prefer films such as Dirty Harry, Tightrope, Unforgiven and Bridges the most, but I'd rate it alongside other films such as The Beguiled and Play Misty For Me. So maybe, my 7th favourite Clint film (I forgot to include GBU and Josey Wales among my favourites!). However, this all depends on my mood at the time ;) But I would rate this film pretty highly overall.

I'll write a lot more when I've re-watched it. Watch this space!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 01:46:31 PM »

Okie dokie  ;)

Again, my apologies for not watching before posting.

...Then again, makes for interesting discussion, no?
Yes!

I will watch T&L again!

To quote a couple of movies, "I shall return"..."I'll be back"  8)

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 02:06:24 PM »

Ally, if you still think the title seems a little cheesy, please read Question 9 in the "Story" section!

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=2668
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 03:11:43 PM »

I just watched this film, and I didn't particularly like it.  It wasn't Clint's best work, I thought it was cute but not his best.  Sorry Ally.  I'll try to get through it again soon...  

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »

It's been a few months back since I last watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, but I'd like to watch it again here soon.

Easily a favorite of mine! 8)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 12:08:51 PM »

I really like this movie.  I think it's one of Eastwood's smaller gems in the same category as A Perfect World, Bronco Billy, and even White Hunter, Black Heart.  They aren't the big blockbuster hits but are quieter and deeper movies about relationships.  

For those of you who don't quite like these kinds of movies from Eastwood.....keep watching them over the years and I think you will find that they will grow on you and possibly one or two of them can make your top ten list.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 03:48:58 PM »

This is one of my favorites also. Whenever we do our "Top 10 Eastwood Favorites" list, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is always either in one of the last spots, or I have to do a "Top 11 or 12" to make sure it's on the list. It's definitely way up there.

I like the relationships, the chemistry between Jeff and Clint, and I think George Kennedy is great as Red. The acting by everyone, but I think especially Bridges, is so fantastic, and the final scene just blew me away the first time I saw the film, and is probably one of the best scenes in any Eastwood film. There's lots to love about this film, and it gets better every time I watch it.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 12:52:34 PM »

I havent watched it in a while but I know its always been one of my favorites.

maybe Ill rewatch it tonight to get a better impression for this discussion

I like the comedic moments and the ending a lot,the cast is superb and every actor does a great job.
 Not for everyone, but definately a Clint Classic in my collection :)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 11:18:36 AM »

Ok, so I've rewatched T&L.  Sorry to report my opinion hasn't altered much since the last viewing and I'm afraid this movie will never crack my top 10 list of favorite Clint movies.  Instead of getting into negative details, I'll point out the positive ones.

As a fan of his movies, I'm extremely happy to have this movie in my dvd collection.  When I'm in the mood to watch a Clint movie but not particularly one of the most popular or even one of my favorites, it's the titles like T&L, Joe Kidd, Pale Rider, The Rookie, Pink Cadillac and a handful of others I'll turn to...even Paint Your Wagon.  It's always cool to see Clint in other movies, even if they don't live up to expectations.  Clint definitely played a cool character here, too (though it seems like he was more of a supporting player).  

Imagine if Red lived and a sequel was made?  He'd have to change his name so the movie could be called "Thunderbolt And Redfoot"    ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 11:19:31 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 11:48:32 AM »

Thanks, Jed! If you do have negative comments about specific aspects of this film, please feel free to post them in the appropriate threads! That's what this discussion is here for ... everyone's opinions on this film.
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 07:21:44 AM »

I have watched the movie several times over the years , and as a character led relationship action movie it rates higher on my scale than most of Clints work in the seventies and remains enduring long after others have faded.

I can see why , if you are expecting a fast paced caper movie in the Tarantino mould this movie might seem dissapointing  but to me Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is essentially a road movie with certain other overtones added which unfortunately were magnified in the promotion of this picture , at least that is my way of thinking.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 08:24:42 AM by Will T. » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 08:27:41 AM »

T & L is one of those Eastwood films I grew up watching, so naturally I’ve always liked it since it also brings back memories of growing up. But besides that, it’s always been one of my faves of his, not really because of the reason I just mentioned, but because of the story itself. The chemistry between Bridges and Eastwood is great, as they are the perfect opposites of each other. Bridges is the wound up, joke-cracking… the ‘in-your-face’ type, even if he ends up getting hurt in the end. Eastwood is the laid-back, calm, quiet, shrewd leader-type – the exact opposite. They make the perfect team. The ending always gets me, as Lightfoot speaks his last delirious lines, claming what a victorious team they were. The music and feel of this flick is all 70s, and I guess that’s another reason why I’ve always liked it – takes me back to a more innocent and fun time.

Nothing heavy about this flick – just meant to be watched and enjoyed. One of the top 5 in my book.

GMAT - you out there...?  ;)

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 11:03:06 PM »

This is definitely one of my favorites ... and I think one of Clint's best movies.  It has great characters and great scenes and holds up after repeated viewings.   A classic!  :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 03:30:45 PM »

i loved it the first time i saw it - i thought it was quirky and amusing

england -  its flag the St George flag
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 05:39:28 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:40 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T