News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT: Acting 4: Geoffrey Lewis's Performance  (Read 6941 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 27, 2004, 10:50:30 AM »

How would you compare Lewis's performance as Goody in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot with other characters he has played in Eastwood movies? What are the similarities, and the differences? In case you've forgotten some, here's a list of the others:
  • Stacey Bridges in High Plains Drifter
  • Orville Boggs in Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can
  • John Arlington (Miss Lily's husband) in Bronco Billy
  • Ricky Z (Nirvana Publications) in Pink Cadillac
  • Luther Driggs in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Is this a typical performance from Lewis? How would you rate this Lewis performance in comparison to his others in Eastwood films?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 12:53:08 PM »

I like Geoffrey Lewis in all of the movies he's done with Eastwood (I haven't seen Pink in quite some time, so I don't remember him as well in it). The only film there where he is really different from the other films is in High Plains Drifter. He's just plain mean in that one.

Goody is a likable character, which makes him comparable to the other characters he's played.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 12:54:05 PM by Christopher » Logged
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 06:49:44 AM »

Typical Lewis performance , as sidekick and the butt of other peoples bullish behaviour .

« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 06:59:45 AM by Will T. » Logged
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 03:32:40 PM »

I really like Geoffrey Lewis as Goody. He doesn't get to say much because Red shuts him up all the time, but his performance is subtle, yet effective. I feel that the relationship between his character and George Kennedy's is a significant one. Goody is basically Red's sidekick, his right arm. Goody is ineffective as a fighter (Thunderbolt takes the guns off him easily when they first meet) but he's reliable and loyal. That's why it's all the more heartbreaking and callous when Red throws him out of the car after he's shot at the end of the film. I think of their relationship as a sort of Laurel and Hardy relationship - Goody constantly questioning like Stan Laurel and Red constantly telling him to shut up, like Oliver Hardy! Guess I should have put this in the relationships thread :)

I currently have Bronco Billy on the telly - I'm taping it off BBC 1! I've never seen it before and I don't think it's available on DVD so it's great to finally get to see it. Lewis is sweet and funny in this performance as Miss Lily's put-upon husband. I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember him much in the other films, but it's been a long time since I've seen some of them. I'll remedy that as soon as I can...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 07:29:01 PM »

I'd say this is a typical Lewis performance, at least to the extent that I'm not overly impressed, but also have no complaints about his performance. Lewis, in my opinion, just seems to blend in with whatever film he's in... not really making much of an impression. Out of all his Eastwood film roles, I think that his performance as Stacey Bridges in High Plains Drifter is his best--he actually does stand out there, and is memorable. In this cast of characters, he's the least important of the four main characters, and least memorable. We don't learn as much about Goody's past as we do the other three men, and I know that I never really wondered about it. But, his performance is just fine...  there just wasn't anything about the character that was very memorable, and there wasn't anything Lewis did to make the character very memorable.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 06:30:16 AM »

actually i thought he did his job well because he was totally dislikable along with red

england -  its flag the St George flag
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »

Lewis is perfect as Goody. He plays the timid sidekick to perfection. Thunderbolt says through the film that Goody is harmless and you can see he can't do much except ask Red "What do we do now all?" the time.

He's demise is sad because of his devotion to Red and it's Red that just dumps Goody's body outta the car. If it was the other way around, I don't think Goody would have done that.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T