News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to set up a custom avatar in your profile  (Read 13527 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 05, 2004, 07:55:05 PM »

Avatars are those little pictures that most of us have under our user name. HERE is a thread with a few hundred Clint Eastwood avatars from all of his movies. Although most of the avatars are on the first page, check out ALL the pages of the thread because you'll find dozens more in the following pages. If you see a picture in that thread that you'd like to use, here's the steps to set it up in your profile.

First, right click on the picture and in the pop-up box that appears select "Properties". A different pop-up box will appear with the entire URL address listed (if you're using IE, you'll see it next to "Address (URL)", in Netscape/Mozilla it's next to "Location"). Highlight the entire web address with your mouse, making sure to pull the mouse all the way to the end of the file extension, then right click and select "Copy".

Now go into your profile by clicking on the "Profile" link at the top of the message board. You always need to enter your password in your profile before making changes, so do that first. Then look about halfway down your profile page to the section called "Personalized Picture".  Click in the box next to the "I have my own pic" field so that a check mark appears. Then go to the empty field next to the box, right click again and select "Paste". The entire URL address will go into the box.  Then go to the bottom of your Profile page and select "Change Profile". The avatar you chose should now be under your user name. This picture will be used for all your posts, previous and future, until you change it again.

For advanced users:  If you have your own image that you want to use as an avatar, you must first make sure your image is 65x65 pixels. If it's not perfectly square, you'll need to paste it on a transparent 65x65 pixel background or it will show up distorted on the board. Anything larger or smaller than 65x65 will also appear distorted. Then the image needs to be hosted on a site that allows direct linking to message boards. ImageShack is a free image hosting site that will work on this board. As long as the picture you store on ImageShack is loaded once a year they won't delete it. So even if you only post once a year, you shouldn't have any problems if you host your picture on their site. Here's the URL:  http://www.imageshack.us/  (There's directions on the site and in the FAQ if you have any difficulty loading your pictures)

Finally, if there's an image that you really want to use and you don't know how to resize it yourself, you can send me the picture in an e-mail and I'll help you with it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:41:54 PM by Matt » Logged
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:13:49 AM »

Hey matt thanks for the imageshack link

I have posted an image on this site for further use as suggested however......it is a bit big for avatar use ....

can u help at all ......you suggested that i may be able to email this image to you ...but i thought it best to ask first before doing so

Cheers

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »

Hi Slacker,

If you can post the image here, I'll resize it and give you the link. If it's not uploaded on the internet, you can send it to me by e-mail. Either way.  8)
slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 08:58:48 AM »

Hey matt many thanks for your help

here is the pic i would like as an avatar

8)

I hope this can be resized (i would luv to know how you actually do this) as i reckon it would make a great avatar

cheers

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 04:24:29 PM »

Okay, here's four versions for you. I found a color picture of that shot too, in case you like that better. Decide which one you want, right-click on it, and choose "properties" to get the URL to put in your profile.

As for how these are resized, I use "Paint Shop Pro 7", pulled the pictures up there, and cropped and resized until they were 65x65 pixels.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 08:08:36 PM by Matt » Logged
slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 07:32:34 AM »

Hey Matt

Brilliant ...cheers....i owe u one........
 ;D

I do not have the software you spoke of alas....otherwise i would have tried this myself.....

Many thanks

p.s. i dig the colour picture

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 05:30:03 AM »

Hey Matt,can you help a poor computer simpleton.I'd like to use this picture for my avatar can you weave your magic and resize it please.Hope it's not too much trouble.Cheers.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 05:00:37 PM »

Here ya go, tgy. Decide which composition you like better, and right click to get the URL address for your profile.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 05:54:07 PM »

Thanks Matt,hope it wasn't too much trouble.
You're a Champion O0

BigAl

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 09:18:17 PM »

Hey Matt, sent you an image by e mail, can you turn it into an Avatar for me please?

Cheers

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 09:30:16 PM »

Here you go, Big Al.  I had to crop the sides down to fit the 65x65 pixel size requirements:

Just right click the picture to get the URL, and use that in your profile.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 03:29:09 PM »

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that when I post a reply,after I hit the post button and it takes me to my post,my avatar does not show up on screen.But when I come back to it later it's there.I did upgrade to a faster broadband connection recently and I'm thinking it has something to do with that.Is this normal or just me.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 04:11:40 PM »

I don't think it's you, tgy. I can't see any of the Vader avatars I made for you in my post above. I noticed a little while ago that some images that were hosted on ImageShack in other threads weren't coming up anymore. ImageShack advertised that images hosted on their site would remain there as long as they're viewed at least once in the last 365 days, so something's wrong--they probably got too popular too quick.

Here's your avatar again, this time it's hosted on mgk's website, so it won't disappear on you again. Just right-click to get the URL:

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 06:06:05 PM »

Cheers Matt.Just posted in new movie game and everything is fine.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 02:20:59 PM »

Here's one for "Jaffe", if he'd like one. I couldn't resist making one for anyone who'd pick that user name:

Jaffe

Usual?

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 02:30:50 AM »

Matt is a wizard of all things avatar... There┤s always a free lunch waiting for you at the Burger Den!
P.S. Harry sends greetings!  ;)

"Usual." "Usual lunch, or usual dinner?" "What difference does it make?" "Not much."
josey wales 1963

"dyin' aint much of a livin boy"

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 06:34:37 AM »

thank you mac for getting me straight on the avatars!

"my mama always told ne there were 3 suns,sunshine,sunset and sons of Bi****"

"clyde ai'nt no dirty ape mr,clyde'sá a clean ape"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:57 AM »

You're welcome, Jonesy.  ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »

And I feel like myself again! Thanks, SK, for setting me up with a new version of my old avatar.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »

Colombo? I thought of you as a Muppet, or Kermit.  But, you are getting older now. 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T