News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man with no name chronoligy  (Read 6620 times)
strngrwitnoname

"Get three coffins ready."

View Profile Email
« on: July 07, 2004, 01:25:21 PM »

I have dicided what the chronoligy of these films has to be. First come the good the bad and the ugly in 1864. that is the same man who later becomes joe and manco. he kills angel eyes at the end and moves on with the cash. 9 years later gets arrested, and the state takes his money. he busts out of the sherrifs place, but can only take what he can carry. then he goes to san miguel. by now it is 1873. then in ffdm he meets colonel mortimer,who is Angel eyes's younger brother. Therefore he is the same guy in each movie. and this explains angel eyes having a likeness to mortimer. as for the aging, it was only nine years, and he could have gone frome late twenties to early thirties.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 01:32:33 PM by strngrwitnoname » Logged

"You said that when a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with the .45 is a dead man. Lets see if thats true."
Mr Soul

"It's no joke, Tuco. It's a rope."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 03:13:08 PM »

Interesting theroy.  Could've happened that way, I guess.  I don't know if I buy the Angel-Eyes/Mortimer relationship, though.  Interesting nonetheless.

"Hey, ho-Let's go!"-The Ramones
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 03:37:42 PM »

That's an interesting idea.  I argee with Mr Soul though, the Angel eyes thing seems to be a little out there.  Other then that, your theory seems good.  

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 04:21:48 PM »

The Battle of Glorieta Pass, which is alluded to in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, took place on March 28, 1862.

A Fistful of Dollars takes place no earlier than 1873 (that is the date on a grave in the cemetery scene).

For a Few Dollars More probably takes place around the same time as A Fistful of Dollars. The protagonist has the same gun, a Colt "Peacemaker" model that was introduced in 1873.

strngrwitnoname, do you think Ramón in A Fistful of Dollars and Indio in For a Few Dollars More are also brothers? They do look a lot alike. ;)
strngrwitnoname

"Get three coffins ready."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 02:29:08 PM »

I dont think so because ramon had other brothers, and it would have made sense for indio to work with him.

"You said that when a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with the .45 is a dead man. Lets see if thats true."
Squinty

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 12:03:10 AM »

Hmmmmm.....Well It's pretty good, except fdr the mortimer and ramon thing. Personally, I just think The stories were done in no particular order or fasion. And sergio had a habit of reusing actors. But I do admit In TGTBTU, the poncho played a role or signifigance to serigo's previous movies.

hmm... :: thinks ::
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 06:36:02 PM »

I have dicided what the chronoligy of these films has to be. First come the good the bad and the ugly in 1864. that is the same man who later becomes joe and manco. he kills angel eyes at the end and moves on with the cash. 9 years later gets arrested, and the state takes his money. he busts out of the sherrifs place, but can only take what he can carry. then he goes to san miguel. by now it is 1873. then in ffdm he meets colonel mortimer,who is Angel eyes's younger brother. Therefore he is the same guy in each movie. and this explains angel eyes having a likeness to mortimer. as for the aging, it was only nine years, and he could have gone frome late twenties to early thirties.

Sounds good ro me

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
Dennis

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »

I agree with Sqinty. No particular order. But by the time "TG,TB,&TU" was released I believe Leone purposely didn't have Clint wear the poncho until the last scene at Sad Hill Cemetery. So maybe it was the prequel to the first two movies. In the scene just before that last one, it shows Blondie with the poncho in hand,
nicely folded up likes it's brand new. We will never know if it was Leone's intention to show that in real time, this was the first story, or did he just wanted us to wonder until the very end if Blondie was "The Man With No Name?" Clint may know the answer or possibly one of the script writers that are still alive.
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 05:24:23 AM »

The sequence should be GBU, FAFDM then AFOD. Ramon is using a fully automatic machinegun (he's not cranking it like a gattling gun) they weren't invented until 1895 if I remember right.
Doc Holliday

To us and those like us. There's damn few left.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 07:28:14 PM »

Is it possible that the Man With No Name may have actually been three different men?

"I'm your huckleberry."  "You're a daisy if you do."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 11:58:59 PM »

Cigar Joe, if A Fistful of Dollars actually takes place in the 1890s and Eastwood is supposed to be the same character in all three movies ... he'd be in his sixties by then.

Leone was never too particular about the chronological niceties. When someone has to shoot, he shoots, he doesn't talk about the year the particular ballistic technology he's using was invented ... ;)

Of course, it IS possible (as we've often discussed on this Board) that Eastwood is portraying three different characters. See this thread:

Joe, Manco and Blondy
Doc Holliday

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »

Thanks, KC.  I checked that thread and there are some interesting theories about our favorite bounty hunter/drifter.  You were most helpful to this newbie.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 11:47:45 PM »

Everyone knows how I am about placing movie timelines going off the weaponry production for reference. 

Cigar Joe had brought up a good point about the machine gun and it made me want to go back and do a little more research on Fistful’s timeline once again.  I thought I had it pegged but Cigar Joe might be on to something here if I follow my theory to a tee… 

I thought I’d go back and look at the Machine Gun Ramon uses to see if I could place the type.  In doing that particular bit of research, I noticed Rubio, Ramone’s unsung rifle thrower, doing his best imitation of Walter Brenner to John Wayne rifle toss, and this made me think, well what if I could date Ramon’s Winchester.  So that is exactly what I did and it was not until I viewed every single scene with Ramon with the rifle and thought I wasn’t going to be able to date it when, at the very end, the clues were there(much to my dismay) and as it turns out, Ramon’s Winchester is indeed a Model 1892.  So now I just don’t know what to think(pulling hair out)… 

I wish GMAT were here to tell me to just forget about it and that I'm  being way to trivial... :P   
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 05:04:08 PM »

Quote from Cigar Joe:
The sequence should be GBU, FAFDM then AFOD. Ramon is using a fully automatic machinegun (he's not cranking it like a gattling gun) they weren't invented until 1895 if I remember right.

Hey Joe, there was no such machine gun that ever look like this manufactued.  It is simply a modified movie prop gun also used in the Django movies...

We could assume that it is some type of prototype weapon, latter stage gattling or eary stage machine gun, however it was never a real gun so we can't just assume that because it was used in the movie that that has to be the timeframe.  I mean, I love to date movies by the guns used but knowing that the gun Tuco puts together in The Good The Bad And The Ugly could simply never happen in real life, or Blondies modified bas ass gun was just simply way to early to realisticly happen as well...

Ramons Super Bad Ass Modified Gattling/Machine Pepper Boxed Gun...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 05:08:33 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 01:49:44 PM »

Yea I always figured it was some sort of prop, Django uses a similar looking weapon, and if you look closely the belt doesn't even move, lol.
Doc Holliday

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 06:20:36 PM »

Now that you mention it, I did think that Ramon's machine gun wasn't legit when I first saw it.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 03:46:32 AM »

I know nothing about guns at all but I did notice in Two Mules For Sister Sara there is a similar type of weapon being used by the French at the Garrison when the Mexicans are storming the place.  The holes are larger and you only see it for a few seconds, so D'Ambrosia when do you reckon this time was?  Is that also something just for the movie or were there weapons like this at that time?   Since reading the threads about the weapons used in the various movies I have become a bit more interested in them.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 07:18:37 AM »

I know nothing about guns at all but I did notice in Two Mules For Sister Sara there is a similar type of weapon being used by the French at the Garrison when the Mexicans are storming the place.  The holes are larger and you only see it for a few seconds, so D'Ambrosia when do you reckon this time was?  Is that also something just for the movie or were there weapons like this at that time?   Since reading the threads about the weapons used in the various movies I have become a bit more interested in them.

Here is a quote by KC from the Fictional Time Lines-Eastwood's Westerns theard
July 1866 Presumably around Bastille Day (July 14), but before the execution of Emperor Maximilian in June 1867

Two Mules For Sister Sara is a hard one.  The history of Cinco De Mayo, The Fifth Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexicans over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862.  Hogan and Sara keep referring to June 15th. Like six weeks after?

Even though the French lost the battle of Cinco De Mayo to inferior forces and it was a great victory over the French by the Mexicans the French still managed to rule the country until the late 60s early 70s    It might have taken place in the early 1870s when the last of the French pack up and went home?

In any case Hogan's revolver is most definitely a Colt Peace Maker.  It was virtually impossible to get a proto-type of this gun before 1872ish unless you go with my “Jordan of Gun fighting” theory were if you knew the right gunsmith and had enough money you could have them fitted to accept and fire off metallic rifle cartridges through a bore through cylinder.

Trying to peg down Ramon's machine gun led me to another gun with a similier barrel...There was a Belgian gun called the  Montigny Mitrailleuse which was designed in 1850 and produced in 1869.  Although not a truly automatic machine gun it does have a barrel that resembles Ramons super prototype badass pepperbox gun...  My guess is that the prop masters took the barral off on of these Mitrailleuse's and slaped it on the front of a Maxim...

Could that be the gun Lin???  This just gives me an excuse to watch Two Mules again... :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 07:55:23 AM »

Could that be the gun Lin??? This just gives me an excuse to watch Two Mules again... :)

It is possible but I thought it had larger holes at the barrel end I could be wrong.  You don't get to see it for very long.
Thank you for all the other information.  Great read.  They did keep mentioning Bastille Day in the movie (although they called in Independence Day didn't they?).  Since reading through your post I gained a lot.  I had wondered about the gun Hogan used, it looked more modern than I thought it would have been for the time.  However you have answered a lot of questions.  Thank you D'Ambrosia. O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:06:40 PM »

Two Mules For Sister Sara is a hard one.  The history of Cinco De Mayo, The Fifth Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexicans over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862.  Hogan and Sara keep referring to June 15th. Like six weeks after?

Even though the French lost the battle of Cinco De Mayo to inferior forces and it was a great victory over the French by the Mexicans the French still managed to rule the country until the late 60s early 70s    It might have taken place in the early 1870s when the last of the French pack up and went home?

D'Amb, it almost has to be 1866, or possibly 1865. We know Hogan served in the American Civil War ... assuming he didn't desert, that would place it after April 1865 ... and, because the French still control the country, before the execution of Maximilian in June 1867. Because it takes place around Bastille Day it would have to be either July 1865 or July1866.

When in the movie do they talk about "June 15th"?  ???
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T