News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who should step up for commentary ?  (Read 7552 times)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« on: July 31, 2004, 09:34:48 AM »

We may never, ever have the pleasure of a Clint Eastwood commentary.  :(

If we are lucky we may never have to hear another Richard Schickel commentary.  ;)

So who should be doing them ?  ???

There are a great many team ups, so lets hear what you think. To start off, here are two out of many that have come to my mind.

Dirty Harry : Reni Santoni and Andy Robinson  :)

Everry which way but loose : Geoffrey Lewis and Gregory Walcott  :)

Over to you.  

Philo .

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 09:35:58 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 09:58:51 AM »

How about Sondra Locke for EWWBL?????? That would be interesting... ;D ;D ;D

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 10:11:39 AM »

This was an attempt to address the situation seriously.

Philo .

Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »

Unforgiven: Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman

In the Line of Fire: John Malcovich and Renee Russo

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 12:59:45 PM »

Well, as we can't have Clint, the next best thing must do...
Although Mr. Schickel has been quite interesting on some commentarys (Unforgiven & GBU) it must could be done better.

How about a comentary from the editor, cinematographer, production designer etc. ?!?
These guys have been with Clint for years and should be able to talk on the behalf of Clint.

Anyone agree?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 07:08:53 PM »

Michael Cimino should definately do a commentary for Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. I'd like to hear Jeff Bridges do one too, actually. Together or separate.
blonde

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 07:19:06 PM »

What about Donna Mills and/or Jessica Walter.  After all, they did have the best sex scenes with Mr. Eastwood.

ha ha
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 09:48:25 PM »

As per Christopher's comments, I think a Michael Cimino commentary for Thunderbolt and Lightfoot would be very special.  Does anybody know if he has done any for his other films?

Wolfgang Peterson (with Malkovick and Russo either along with him or on a 2nd seperate actors only commentary) for In the Line of Fire.

James Fargo (once again with the main support cast either along with him or in their own sperate actors only commentary) for Every Which Way But Loose.

That's just a few off the top of my head.  I really like a good directors commentary, but only the more intelligent and creative actors make for good commentaries, so they can be hit and miss affairs.

WKC.

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 09:54:35 PM »

What about Donna Mills and/or Jessica Walter.  After all, they did have the best sex scenes with Mr. Eastwood.

ha ha

Seriously though Blonde,

having listened to their comments in the short 30 minute doco on the making of Play Misty for Me (on the current DVD release), I found them both fairly eloquent and intelligent, with good solid memories of the films production.  I think they could make a decent go of it.

WKC.

blonde

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 09:59:31 PM »

I'm glad you liked my comment WKC.  I thought both ladies were very intelligent in the making of Play Misty for Me.  I did see that as well.  

One of my favorite scenes in that movie is when Clint and Donna are walking through the woods/beach and talking.  We can't hear what they are saying because of the music.  But is a wonderful scene.  
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 10:10:01 PM »

My #1 choice would be Forest Whitaker and Diane Venora for Bird, especially if they could be joined with Chan Parker... that would be special.

I agree that Jeff Bridges and Michael Cimino would probably make interesting commentary for Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

In the Line of Fire already has a commentary with Wolfgang Petersen, and it was pretty interesting.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 10:20:21 PM »

In the Line of Fire already has a commentary with Wolfgang Petersen, and it was pretty interesting.

He he,

not on my crappy Deluxe Widescreen Presentation disk it doesn't  ;) Matt.

Do Russo and Malkovich do commentaries?

I might make an excuse of upgrading the disk so I can wait for them to get included.

BTW does Peterson have much to say about Mr Eastwood in his commentary?

Cheers,

WKC.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 10:49:01 PM »

No, Russo and Malkovich aren't on the commentary, but Rene is on one of the Special Features... "Behind the Scenes with the Secret Service" where she talks about preparing to portray a Secret Service Agent.  On the Director's Commentary, Petersen jokes at the beginning that he has the producer of the Special Edition DVD, J. M. McKinney, with him so he'd have someone to talk to.

We used some of what Petersen said on the commentary for our In the Line of Fire film discussion. I'll repost some of the quotes here:

About Clint:

What I like about him as a director is also what I like about him as an actor. He takes risks. He took risks with Bird, White Hunter, Black Heart and Unforgiven. I was not prepared for Unforgiven. It is an outstanding achievement, such a dark and moody piece and so totally unpredictable, against all the rules. I worked with him [on In the Line of Fire ] every day for four months. He surprised me all the time. In our story, in a big scene, he finally tells the truth about what has harmed him all his life. We went with the camera close on his face. He started to cry. This man is a risk taker. I said: "Clint, this is a first. You have not done this before on film. Am I right?" He said "Yes." He is also a great comic actor. And he's very funny. He totally trusts his instincts. The qualities I saw in him I'm sure are the same he uses as a director. He's a down-to-earth man. He's there to work.

Clint Eastwood, at that time, he was, I think, 63 years old. And he is in extremely good shape. When we see him running  next to the limousine of the presidential motorcade and racing and chasing over the rooftops of Washington, D.C., he did it all  himself, and that was pretty amazing...

He did basically everything himself. There are always a very few shots where you say, "OK, no actor in the world can do it himself, it's so dangerous you have to do it with a stuntman, because that's their job" ... But Clint basically, with a few exceptions ... did everything himself, including running over those rooftops ... When we talked about the scene ... a pretty famous scene, where he's hanging there, on the edge of the roof, way up there, and we look down, and see the enormous depth there, it's like five, six stories high ... when we discussed it at the beginning, I said, "Clint, shall we do that against a blue screen on a stage?" Because we see his face close, so we cannot shoot it with a stunt guy. He said, "You know what? I think we should try to do it for real." ... We did it for real, and he was actually really hanging there! There are no bad tricks there. It's really there.

About Rene Russo:

I met her and I was really impressed by her because she was so natural and so funny, and so... I just fell right away in love with her, and I said "That's the girl I want to have. That's the actress I want to have." And thank God I did that because she was wonderful. I think the chemistry between her and Clint is wonderful and I thought she was so good that the next film I did, Outbreak, with Dustin Hoffman, I said right away to Dustin, "Your wife or ex-wife in the film, I have the actress for you. It's Rene Russo. So I cast her right away again.

I told her (Rene Russo), at some point when he really talks about it and gets emotional, just grab his hand. Not in the shot, but in his close-up--when he's alone. It's not on camera, just as an actress... be next to him, helping him to get through the scene. He didn't know that, it was just a trick, and he was so emotional by that gesture from a colleague, from the actress to take your hand, that he really choked up and it only happened in one take, and you only need one take, so we used that one take. It was just wonderful. It was the entire stage, they were all totally silent because he was basically crying, Clint Eastwood! And I'd never seen it before, Clint Eastwood crying in a movie, and nobody dared to breathe. It was an amazing moment.

A little bit about Malkovich and Clint:

When I had lunch with Jeff Maguire, the writer, early on just when I came on to do this film, he said, "You'll probably want to cut out the phone calls, they're not visual." I said "I love the phone calls. Let's find a way to make them visually really fascinating as well as just listening to the dialogue." We have five big phone calls in the movie, and I think they make the movie. I think they are so important for the movie. Malkovich and Clint were always both there when they were doing the phone calls. I used a little trick [in one of the scenes] because Malkovich is always kinda soft. I said to him over the microphone in his trailer "For this, why don't you all of a sudden start to scream and yell at him." And you see that Clint starts to sweat, because he didn't know. He was expecting another soft-voiced Malkovich, not this maniac who was screaming at him. And I think we got some nice reaction from Clint in reacting to it and going back to him because in the rehearsal we had always done it soft. We didn't do it in portions, we did the whole phone call in one take, the camera kind of moving around. So I think the way Clint reacts has very much to do with the unexpected explosion of Malkovich in the scene.

And about Morricone's score:

[Ennio Morricone] is one of the, maybe the best composer in the world. I was so proud that we got him for this movie because I'm a huge fan of his, going all the way back to the famous westerns he did with Clint Eastwood... It was so interesting with Ennio Morricone to work in Rome on the music. He is, I would say, next to the Pope, the biggest thing in Rome. He is "El Maestro". He is "the big authority" there. Wherever you go with him, everyone says "Ah, Maestro! Maestro!" He doesn't speak English, so you have to go and you have to work with an interpreter. Sometimes he screams and yells at you and he doesn't mean it, it's his temperament. In the music sessions we did, underneath the church is a recording stage and studio and he would record there and sometimes I would say "Ennio, I think this piece of music doesn't really work that well, I think we need to make some changes here. It doesn't go that well with the scene." And it got translated to him. He would scream back at me, in Italian, of course, because he didn't agree and thought it was perfect. Then the interpreter screamed at me in English to let me know what he was saying. Then I screamed back at him in English. The interpreter screamed back at him in Italian again. It was the most incredible scenario you can imagine! And then, finally, after this back and forth screaming, he'd say "Okay, we go to lunch." And then he stayed there over lunch and he was doing all the changes, and of course he was the sweetest guy after lunch again, and everything was cool and fine. It was just an outburst of Italian energy there through an interpreter. It was the funniest thing in the world. I love this man.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 11:12:21 PM »

Thanks for that excellent and comprehensive info Matt!

Peterson sounds like an extremely intelligent and interesting person to listen to.  It looks like Columbia will eventually suck those extra dollars out of my wallet...

WKC.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 11:48:18 PM »

You're welcome. :)

Yeah, the Special Edition DVD has a lot of good extras, not only the full length Director's Commentary, but also some deleted scenes, a "How'd They Do That" featurette that shows some of the special effects that were used to make the film, a 21+ minute feature "The Ultimate Sacrifice: In the Line of Fire" where writer Jeff Maguire, Executive Producer Gail Katz, Rene Russo, and Dylan McDermott and others talk about making the film. (Clint's even on this one... for about 10 seconds. ;) ) There's also two features "Behind the Scenes with the Secret Service" and "Catching the Counterfeiters" for anyone who's intereted in seeing what real Secret Service agents do. And of course there's also trailers and TV spots included. It's the most loaded Eastwood DVD out there, so I think you'll be happy with it if you decide to get it.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 03:03:39 AM »

My #1 choice would be Forest Whitaker and Diane Venora for Bird, especially if they could be joined with Chan Parker... that would be special.
Unfortunately, it couldn't happen. Chan Parker died in 1999. I recall posting an obit for her on this Board at the time (Matt, that was before you were around here, so you're forgiven for not seeing it). Here's another one I found on the Web just now ...
http://www.jazzkc.org/issues/1999-10/chanparker.html

Personally, I can't stand commentary tracks. I find it incredibly distracting to try to listen to what the commentators are saying while the movie is playing, especially when it's not closely related to what is actually on the screen at the time. The better the movie, of course, the more annoying it is ... It's like sitting in a theater and having the people sitting behind you taliking constantly.

If they wanted to do this sort of thing right, they would come up with an enhanced DVD edition of the film that would allow you to play (or read a transcription of) the comments of many different people involved with a film, while you control the playing of specific shots or scenes that the comments relate to. We did that for the Multimedia Hitchcock project I was involved with a few years and it worked really well (though we were limited to only a dozen or so "classic" scenes from all Hitchcock's output).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 03:08:44 AM by KC » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 04:10:49 AM »

Pat Hingle and Bruce Dern for Hang 'Em High  ;)

“Eyuh.”
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 07:32:43 AM »

Michael Cimino has done a UK only commentary for The Deer hunter. He has done this as the film was UK backed (by EMI).

He does mention Clint and I am in the process of going through it for a thread here on the board.

Philo .  

blonde

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 09:13:08 AM »

;D

How about Shirley MacLaine for Two Mules for Sister Sara.  I love that movie....
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2004, 10:12:12 AM »

The whole gang for a Space Cowboys commentary. Now that would be interesting. I also agree with the masses on a Michael Cimino and Jeff Bridges commentary for Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T