News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Current TV Shows  (Read 188424 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #620 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »

I?ve never watched so much tv.. but with not much else going on I?m glad there?s plenty of choice..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #621 on: November 01, 2020, 12:55:10 AM »

Am currently binging on Schitts Creek And loving it...

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #622 on: November 01, 2020, 03:47:50 AM »

Am currently binging on Schitts Creek And loving it...

My wife has been watching a lot of that lately. I?ve seen bits and pieces and it didn?t grab me. Need to watch from the beginning to form any sort of opinion.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #623 on: November 01, 2020, 08:54:05 AM »

Binge-watched it twice. It's my favorite comedy since Seinfeld. They couldn't really be much different, but in terms of a great comedy with a perfect cast, this is the best show in 25 years.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #624 on: November 02, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »

I'm also watching Schitt's Creek. While it does have a very current and relevant premise that speaks to the times in which we are living, and I do think the cast is well chosen, it's definitely not the best comedy in 25 years. "Frasier" and "Everybody Loves Raymond," to name just two, were both funnier and more entertaining. "Frasier" in particular had much wittier, better written dialogue. Stevie is my favorite character on Schitt's Creek. 
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #625 on: November 03, 2020, 12:37:07 PM »

I think it?s brilliant. Perfect marriage of cast and writing... its def my fave comedy in a long long time...
It?s probably a good idea to watch from the beginning as there?s quite a lot of character development..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:31:22 PM by Gant » Logged

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #626 on: November 03, 2020, 02:06:21 PM »

The second season of The Mandalorian started Friday on Disney Plus. I started the service several days before and rewatched the first season. I enjoy the series a lot.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #627 on: November 03, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »

The second season of The Mandalorian started Friday on Disney Plus. I started the service several days before and rewatched the first season. I enjoy the series a lot.

Great episode to start season 2. 😎😎😎

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #628 on: November 05, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »

I'm also watching Schitt's Creek. While it does have a very current and relevant premise that speaks to the times in which we are living, and I do think the cast is well chosen, it's definitely not the best comedy in 25 years. "Frasier" and "Everybody Loves Raymond," to name just two, were both funnier and more entertaining. "Frasier" in particular had much wittier, better written dialogue. Stevie is my favorite character on Schitt's Creek.

I don't get Everybody Loves Raymond (I watched half of the first season, and didn't find it funny or entertaining, maybe it gets better), and Frasier is pretty funny, but not on my list of top 10 comedies. A lot of people don't like Seinfeld, some even hate it. To me, Schitt's Creek is the best comedy in 25 years -- but not everyone will agree. The writing and cast are perfection. The wine scene between David and Stevie is the simplest explanation of pansexuality I've ever heard, and it makes all the sense in the world -- in a beautiful one minute scene:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t5dIClRkmfc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t5dIClRkmfc</a>

In addition to sexuality, it explores family love and materialism, and how happiness comes from our relationships, not where we live or our possessions. I love the scene where Johnny stands up for Schitt's Creek to one of his old friends.  I just watched it again looking for a link, and immediately my eyes well up -- it's the acting, and it's the writing. Roland interjecting about the coupon -- that's when you have perfection.  It doesn't allow itself to get too shmaltzy, but the overarching theme of friendship vs. materialism and fair-weather-friendship shines through here:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-6j34v96HkQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-6j34v96HkQ</a>

I love that when they all worked together, they found success together. The underlying message of this show about kindness and acceptance is what makes it 180 degrees different from Seinfeld, but it never once feels pandering or virtue signaling. It's just a beautiful series, and I think in today's climate, this is essential viewing to remind us that we are all in this together, and love is the key to happiness.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:41:01 AM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #629 on: November 05, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »

Totally agree Matt... very well put.

That scene in the restaurant was perfection , as is this wine scene...

Im just about to start season 5 and already dreading it coming to and end...

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:28:13 PM by Gant » Logged

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #630 on: November 05, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »

Thanks Matt for this message on the show. I think I understand why you find it so appealing and why I find it less so. I watch the show and like it, so I'd agree with you that it's a well done show, but when I choose comedies to watch, I'm not necessarily looking for a show that mirrors my own personal beliefs or values or that reflect explanations of liberal and cultural social concepts such as pansexuality. I'm mostly just looking for a show that I find funny and entertaining and which kind of allows me to escape the day to day. I think that's why I prefer comedies like "Frasier," "Cheers," "King of Queens," Everybody Loves Raymond," etc, since they have characters I find amusing and they don't really serve as social commentaries. "The West Wing," which is not a comedy, is really the only show I watch that I enjoy that is in that vein. I feel similar about it to the way you do about Schitts Creek. The casting, writing, the themes of the show, the expert presentation of social, political and cultural issues, it's the best show I've ever seen of its type, but since that's what the whole show is about, politics, I don't mind that!

I've watched about 3 seasons of the show, so I'm not done yet, but I do remember the scene you are referring to when Johnny encounters his former friend in the restaurant, and I also liked that scene. I must confess, I do find the Mom on the show to be extremely annoying and find Catherine O'Hara's acting to be too over the top. I think she was written that way, but she's my least favorite character on the show. It's a little too much for me!  :) 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #631 on: November 05, 2020, 09:40:15 PM »

I do find the Mom on the show to be extremely annoying and find Catherine O'Hara's acting to be too over the top. I think she was written that way, but she's my least favorite character on the show. It's a little too much for me!  :) 

Yes, Moira, being a soap opera leading actress, is written to be over the top. I think she's great. Part of the reason the cast gels so well is that Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy (Johnny) have worked together their entire careers on multiple projects. One is my favorite comedy of all time, Best In Show:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yC8rZq3oKuI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yC8rZq3oKuI</a>

"David" (Dan Levy) is Eugene's son and the actress who plays "Twyla" is his daughter.  Dan brought the project to his father and they created it together and did most of the writing on the series together. 

All that being said, I love the show because it's a quality show, not because it reflects my social beliefs. I love Ozark for the same reason and I'm not living a secret life as an accountant/drug lord. I just like a good quality show with a strong cast and great writing. Schitt's Creek is especially enjoyable now, in the middle of a pandemic and the worst U.S. election in history, with all the social unrest, anger and violence in the world. It's light, easy-to binge, and just pretty damn funny.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #632 on: November 16, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »

I?m now on final season of Creek... I?m sure gonna miss it when it?s done..

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2020, 04:45:09 PM »

I?m now on final season of Creek... I?m sure gonna miss it when it?s done..

Watch Waiting on Guffman and Best In Show to patch that hole.  8)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #634 on: November 19, 2020, 04:46:55 AM »

I will 👍👍

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #635 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »

Just finished The Queens Gambit on Netflix.... really well made and enjoyable drama 👍

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #636 on: November 22, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »

Gant, I agree. I also saw this and thought it was well done. It's definitely the best Hollywood dramatization of chess than I have ever seen. I actually don't play chess (this always surprises people, since I'm thought of as a pretty smart guy, and smart people apparently play chess), but I found it to be pretty engrossing and a universal story that could be appreciated by those who don't necessarily have an affinity for the game.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #637 on: November 22, 2020, 11:35:36 PM »

Agreed... I thought all the actors were excellent and it was just quirky enough in places to stop it becoming predictable..
It looked fantastic too..

I play a little but your right, it wouldn?t be necessary to know the game to enjoy the programme..

Well... that?s  Schitts Creek and a Queens Gambit finished... what next ?

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #638 on: December 27, 2020, 11:11:37 PM »

With all this time on my hands I?ve  plunged into The Sopranos. Here we go....

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #639 on: December 28, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »

I just completed watching "Start Up," which is a Korean drama on Netflix. It's really well done, and functions well as a show about relationships as well as business and starting and growing a start-up company in the technology space. I highly recommend it.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T